NTL lag

T

tris-

they r aware of the prob anyway, just chill till its sorted now :great:

D

darbey

Well tried to d/l patch again and this time it managed to finish although took me 2 and a half hours to get 7.8 meg of files. game is completely unplayable though , chat is taking over 5 secs to appear.
Hope the new week brings something.

PS nice work guys some have put alot of time into resolving this.

C

cadiva

Hey guys, I'm a journalist and my advice without a shadow of a doubt would be for someone to ring up the journalists at any of the big three gaming magazines and to also contact maybe PC World (the magazine not the crap company ;) ) or some of the other industry magazines like .Net etc.

Usually the fear of bad publicity, espeically in a trade or industry magazine, even better if you can get it into the technical side of say BBC Online or The Guardian's internet section usually has MDs screaming for the phone to their engineers asap.

Over my 14 year career I've sorted out more problems for people simply by phoning some big company's press office and telling them 'Hello my name is xyz I'm calling from XXX Newspaper about XXX customer and the problems they have had with your service as we're running a story on it in our next issue.'

Seriously guys I've got travel companies to refund holiday costs or offer replacements, had all the major service providers like water, gas and electricity crawling on hands and knees to the customer and as for local councils, lets just say heheheehee.

Bad publicity is something no big company can deal with. Once you've got a bad reputation it's hard to get over it.

Email the tech guys at BBC Online's internet division and tell them you want to complain about NTL's lack of support for gaming when they claim to be an all round internet provider etc. They write tonnes of stuff about EverQuest so you can be damn sure somewhere there is an online gamer just dying to kick an ISP provider in the teeth ;)

Would just like to say too, well done to everyone that's persisting with this. I don't have NTL but I sure as hell don't like to see fellow gamers suffering.

S

Strabo

It's certainly not just NTL.

I have 512 SDSL via Firstnet, and I've had about 30 LD's this past weekend. I would LD about every 30 minutes or so, until I gave up. I've not had any problems before this weekend.

I've had my connection checked by Firstnet (1st class support), and I've reinstalled SI, and the problem remains.

T

tris-

i think something is being fixed, i am being routed a different way to nthells site now, going through manchester instead of brentford has stopped packetloss to that site but outside UK is still a prob.

O

old.Nikolas

Class!

I am goiong to have to take a week of work now to catch up all that xp i lost :p

T

tris-

false alarm it was workin for about 5 mins then it started again :(

H

hardasnails

I have been onto NTL again.
They have done the usual test of pinging me and pinging GOA with no probs :wall:

They have asked me to send in some trace logs of my own (again) and they WILL look into it.

Also Right Now have been back to me with a more personal mail instead of the usual auto-mail they send out (after a bollocking in my reply) :D

They asked for several bits of info with yet more trace logs.

Fingers crossed eh.

BTW n3wbie, I am from Manchester and it IS crap here :(

p.s I mentioned that I have been having probs since they did their upgrades and maintenance on the 23rd so it looks as if they have FUBAR somewhere.

T

tris-

actuaslly it is working now! looks like i am being routed through leeds and poplar instead of renfrew and brentford :clap: :clap:

T

Takhasis

Originally posted by hardasnails
BTW n3wbie, I am from Manchester and it IS crap here :(

Where r u in Manc m8, coz i am as well, and can't remember the last time i had any conn problems to DAOC....

600K NTL

F

F.I.V

I'm still lagging but nowhere near as bad, so lets hope they're fixing it in stages eh? ;)

Edit: Lasting 10 mins instead of 5 before I go LD, I guess it's a marginal improvement but still pretty bad.

T

tris-

your best bet is go onto nthell chat and tell MooSchmoo you got probs, he will sort it out.

H

hardasnails

Originally posted by Takhasis
Where r u in Manc m8, coz i am as well, and can't remember the last time i had any conn problems to DAOC....

600K NTL

Hyde, East Manchester.

Is it possible you can post your trace to:

See if you are on similar route

thnx

p.s. 600k con here too

T

tris-

if your still having probs, go on google and search for "opentransit looking glass" trace from pastourelle bacbone 1 to your IP, go on nthellworld chat, tell mooschmoo your prob and give him any info he asks.

H

hardasnails

Just received reply from Right Now
We are currently experiencing some connection problems, our technical team is working on this issue.
Yours sincerely

European Dark Age of Camelot Customer Support

T

tris-

thats probably because a lot of people have complained to them, but it is NTLs prob and the best way to fix it is in my other post.

H

hardasnails

Now been passed onto NTL lvl 3 techies - whatever that may mean

O

old.Jessica

I used to work for an ISP not very long ago and just thought I'd empathise for those with bad connetions at the moment.

Also, to offer you guys some help in sorting out the problem.

There are a great many problems that can arrise when trying to connect from a to b over the internet, and it is hard to spot where problems lie.

Althought ping and traceroute are two of the tools we use, there is a -lot- more in understanding what they are telling you and how to use them. A simple ping or trace is simply not enough.

Some tips for identifying which 'router' is problematic:

1) Do a few traceroutes to your destination. (like 10 or so)
2) Examine and note exactly how far down the list you see your first * in the list.
3) Set a ping running to the hop BEFORE your server with the *.
4) Set a ping running to the hop that contained the *.

That is your -first- problem found. But what is it?

It can be one of things:
1) the router that fails to ping.
2) the router before the hardware that connects the two is refusing to send to the next router.
3) the phsical hardware between the two.

Remember that there can be massive amounts of machines/wires/repeaters/bridges that you cannot ping between two routers. So the problem can be very complex for engineers to fix.

So from looking at the various traces in this thread you can see two or more problems. One at NTL, one at opentransit<->sprint one at opentransit<->wanadoo.

Be sure to notify -both- sides of any router that appears to be malfunctioning. And if they're stubborn, the journalists advice is very sound indeed.

I was going to explain lots more of the techie stuff about TTL problems with overloadedrouters and such, but probably too techie for most people and those it isn't too techie for already know about it... you'd hope.

Feel free to PM me for any more questions/advice.

Jesi

O

old.Jessica

Quick example:

1 10 ms 6 ms 39 ms 10 ms 21 ms 8 ms 8 ms 11 ms 7 ms 7 ms [10.110.16.1]
2 94 ms 18 ms 14 ms 7 ms 7 ms 9 ms 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms 13 ms oldh-t2cam1-a-ge-wan42-112.inet.ntl.com [80.5.164.49]
3 74 ms 9 ms 8 ms 7 ms 35 ms 50 ms 46 ms 10 ms 12 ms 111 ms man-t2core-a-ge-wan62.inet.ntl.com [213.104.242.41]
4 66 ms 8 ms 7 ms 17 ms 24 ms 43 ms 33 ms 9 ms 7 ms 11 ms man-bb-a-so-230-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.184.57]
5 46 ms 12 ms 11 ms 8 ms 25 ms 15 ms 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms 13 ms man-bb-b-ge-220-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.187.178]
6 42 ms 32 ms 35 ms 26 ms 21 ms 16 ms 19 ms 15 ms 16 ms 19 ms [213.206.159.245]
7 18 ms 29 ms 26 ms 30 ms 37 ms 30 ms 24 ms 22 ms 16 ms 44 ms sl-bb20-lon-11-0.sprintlink.net [213.206.128.56]
8 38 ms 23 ms 25 ms 22 ms 56 ms 26 ms 42 ms 34 ms 22 ms 23 ms sl-bb21-par-14-0.sprintlink.net [213.206.129.70]
9 26 ms 23 ms 30 ms 23 ms 43 ms 27 ms 28 ms 24 ms 21 ms 23 ms sl-gw10-par-15-0.sprintlink.net [217.118.224.42]
10 43 ms 23 ms 35 ms 24 ms 23 ms 40 ms 24 ms 23 ms 22 ms 55 ms sle-franc1-1-0.sprintlink.net [213.206.131.42]
First * here. This shows a problem with either P13-0.PASCR2.Pastourelle.opentransit.net or sle-franc1-1-0.sprintlink.net or the lline between them
11 * 28 ms * 27 ms 41 ms 37 ms 35 ms * 37 ms 47 ms P13-0.PASCR2.Pastourelle.opentransit.net [193.251.241.169]
any *'s after here -could- signify futher routers with errors but are 99.9% more likly to be caused by the router above it.
12 * 27 ms 28 ms 30 ms 30 ms 36 ms 43 ms 35 ms 27 ms 27 ms P11-0.PASCR1.Pastourelle.opentransit.net [193.251.241.97]
13 * * * 91 ms 44 ms 53 ms * 47 ms 27 ms 57 ms P4-0.BAGCR3.Bagnolet.opentransit.net [193.251.241.118]
14 28 ms 43 ms 23 ms 79 ms 31 ms 30 ms 24 ms 33 ms 27 ms 45 ms P1-0.BAGBB1.Bagnolet.opentransit.net [193.251.241.145]
15 39 ms 24 ms 23 ms 52 ms 23 ms 24 ms 23 ms 50 ms 25 ms 24 ms WanadooPortails1.GW.opentransit.net [193.251.251.58]
16 31 ms * 29 ms 52 ms 36 ms * * 42 ms 33 ms * [193.252.122.10]
17 34 ms 45 ms 28 ms 49 ms 52 ms 43 ms 28 ms 37 ms 31 ms 30 ms [193.252.123.33]

J

D

darbey

well i hope its not to premature but the lag has cleared up, trace routes showing healthy with no packet loss. My conn is also been rerouted through Leeds.

F

F.I.V

My lag has cleared up a fair bit too, i still get the occasional spike but other than that it's almost back to the way it used to be.

S

Sharma

My lag is resolved, updating my classic client at a speedy 16k/s YEY!

S

Strabo

I'm still having major problems. I'm still getting disconnected every 30 minutes or so :(

F

F.I.V

<growls> me too, been booted 5 times in the last 10 minutes :(

For the love of God NTL fix the fucking problem :(

T

tris-

go to nthell chat and talk to mooschmoo he is the one who fixes the probs!!!!

X

Xarkaltos

Well mine seems to have cleared up too - after 5 days in hell I could actually fight blues again without worrying how long I was gonna lock up for!

T

Tyrant I

Well Im still Laggin and LD in to hell, and its 22.46 nearly a week of no play coming up... great :(

L

Lanquid

Still screwed here too. (NTL stockport/Manchester)

Ping plotter still giving packet loss returning from opentransit routers. If others not NTL are losing con I cant believe its an NTL only problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom