Nokia N91

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
I think i'll take this N80 back next week. It's no fun, and nothing like I expected. Can't use shared folders have to use a 3rd party server software for windows (there goes my linux server).
The light/shutter/whatever is crap, my k750i is far superior in that respect, I guess the N80's 3MP camera is only better in high light conditions. The video camera is crappy when theres any kind of dark (indoors)..
The software is always crashing and hanging and web pages take forever to load even on my 8Mbit adsl..

I don't see anything good about the phone really, anyone recommend another one? or perhaps one thats coming soon? My other phones contract ends in July so I have a while..

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
Oh I found more annoying things, it refuses to play anything that I encode unless I do 3gp encode with Nokia Media Converter, won't play back my mp4's or anything. I really expected it to be more flexible.

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
Some samples, the one in bright is perfect and I was really impressed, but as soon as you get any form of darkness it screws up bigtime. Specialy the video, its quite bright outside but its cloudy so not as bright as it could be, and its raining.

The fact that it has no auto focus makes most images appear blured too. :(

http://87.75.134.128/phone (there until I reboot :p)

Aada

Part of the furniture
Earl said:
I think i'll take this N80 back next week. It's no fun, and nothing like I expected. Can't use shared folders have to use a 3rd party server software for windows (there goes my linux server).
The light/shutter/whatever is crap, my k750i is far superior in that respect, I guess the N80's 3MP camera is only better in high light conditions. The video camera is crappy when theres any kind of dark (indoors)..
The software is always crashing and hanging and web pages take forever to load even on my 8Mbit adsl..

I don't see anything good about the phone really, anyone recommend another one? or perhaps one thats coming soon? My other phones contract ends in July so I have a while..

Its gonna take another year or so before they get a nice internet system on mobiles.. i've never thought they have been good i guess its ok if you want WAP sites.

But i use my N70 to browse FH/other gamer sites when im at work.. it does the job nicely but it could be better.

Ive often thought of getting a PDA as they seem to be more internet suited?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
My SPV C600 does web browsing OK, but it doesn't support wifi - i.e. the interface/speed is ok but it's a bit pointless at the moment unless you use gprs which is cack.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Earl said:

Dunno when the W950i is out, that's the next phone to have a I reckon if you can cope without a camera, and 4Gig Memory and a touch screen should make up for that. Heard it's not coming out on voda til later on this year tho, not sure about t'other networks. It's easily the sexiest looking phone ever.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Bodhi said:
Dunno when the W950i is out, that's the next phone to have a I reckon if you can cope without a camera, and 4Gig Memory and a touch screen should make up for that. Heard it's not coming out on voda til later on this year tho, not sure about t'other networks. It's easily the sexiest looking phone ever.

Its due in August. Not that that means a damn thing...

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
Earl said:

Have you switched the little slider over on the back? Move it to landscape and not the little Flower icon

My pictures are great, funny how 2 people see the exact same phone differently :)

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
You may wish to download Opera for the N80, apparently it's a lot better than the bundled browser.

I'll be getting one soon, just have to wait a bit for it to become a bit more widespread, then I'll badger orange for a free upgrade (phoned them last week and they told me £180 on my tariff, and retentions would only go down to £80 on an 18 month contract, so I told them to shove it, and I'll look for a new provider! Love these negotiations, Orange treat exisiting customers like new ones my arse!).

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
Yes I have it in landscape mode, my pictures are GREAT when it total stillness, since my phone is for 'in the moment' photos they are not regularly completly still and hence total blur.

I'm not sure if I even like orange, I love the texts/minutes/magicnumber but the coverage is awfull, when im at college I can never recieve texts :(.... I have 14days to take it back right?

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
Ps panda do you have any indoor pictures you can show me? Mine really are awfull unless they're in bright outdoors..

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
I really *want* to like this phone but its awfull.

The software crashs sometimes when playing video clips that ive encoded (though others play fine whne encoded same way)

Dunno if its the phone or orange, but sometimes the menus dont work (pressing 1 etc)

I think i've got no choice but to take it back really, the only thing that works is phone calls and texts, any phone can do that :p

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
Not decided on phone yet... but im not sticking with orange. Coverage sucks.

o2 have offered me 500mins 600texts for £30 a month... does that sound good to you? (told them I wanted to cancel for orange contract) or think I can get some more out of them? I really liked orange for the magic number thing, but I basicly can't use my phone at college :p

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Sounds like a good contract to me. 3 do very good deals now, might be worth a look, they have sorted a lot of problems out now.

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
For god sake. I've just checked on orange website to see how many free mins I have used, used 26mins, yet been billed for some voice calls.

Then checked my actual bill (had phone 6days) and it was 80 quid!!
£30 of that was for data, the shop said unlimited 3g, for 3months, but the actual thing on the website says 500kb free... GRRR

How am i supposed to argue this one, my word for theirs..

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Go into the shop and moan, moan, moan. It's been mis-sold to you, just get your money back, you don't seem happy with it anyway.

Starman

Part of the furniture
Got myself a nice Sony Eicsson W810i recently from O2. Great phone such an improvement on my old K700 :)

Gray

FH is my second home
Im looking into getting the Sony Ericsson K800 when it comes out, spinky looking phone

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks guys :)
Taken my orange phone back and got money back, will be sticking with o2 from now on.

I'm going to wait till the k800 is out before I make up my mind, as im not entirely happy with the N80.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Had a play with me mate's N80 the other night, seems far too complicated for its own good. It took me about 5 minutes to figure out where the main menu had gone, and I still don't know how you stop mp3's. These things are fairly self-explanatory on my W900i, the pictures on his N80 don't look any better to be honest with you and the speaker isn't as good. The N80's slightly smaller but having the smallest phone imaginable isnt really of importance to me - I'd rather have one that's got tonnes of stuff on it, and as long as its smaller than a fag packet I can survive. I mean don't get me wrong the N80 is a good phone, but just not as good as it could have been.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Got my N80 from 02 in the end, orange were being fuckers about the upgrade. Cost me £30 for the handset, and getting a similar tariff for about the same price.

It's a very nice phone, I put a 2Gb card in there, and now use it as my MP3 player. The wifi connectivity is great, now I can use it for much cheaper net access where it's available, and opera mini is a good browser. The only thing that's annoying me at the mo is the flashing blue light that shows you have signal.

Gray

FH is my second home
Ordered a K800 on Thursday, i should recieve this then by around Monday i think, so its all good!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I've had an n80 for about a month now and I'm still undecided. I like the wireless function and the browser and connectivity. Its a decent enough music player as well and it I'm using the PIM functions and synching with my PC nicely. However, the menus are confusing; I think they expect you to set up everything as shortcuts and if you can't be arsed you end up with lots of menu presses (just turning on silent is 3-4 layers deep). But the worst thing is the slider function; if you put the phone in your pocket it can easily slide open, unlock the phone and inadvertantly call someone, its really annoying. It needs a physical lock button of some sort. Plus, the slider keypad itself is just too damn small for us humans with normal hands. I think its 75% of the way towards being the 'do-everything' phone, but it still has design (physical and UI) issues.

Gray

FH is my second home
Update t that! Phone actually arrived 30min ago, happy days ;D, gonna charge it while im at work though, hohum

Gray

FH is my second home
I forgot to put the battery in the phone :'( no wonder it felt so light

PS

The back on this fucking case is insane, how the fuck! The diagram shows a picture of a thumb sliding it down, that seems almost impossibel!

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
I got a k800i and I have to say im profoundly impressed by it. I had to try with all my might to get alongh with the n80 ... but the k800i is just great.
Great UI and stunning camera. That is all. :)

Gray

FH is my second home
Yeah, i did try the camera on it, that is a very very very nice camera indeed, took a picture of the TV screen and instead of it showing all the interference/lines, it shows a perfect crystal clear screen.

Only one or two downfalls though, the joystick makes my thumb sore, people have said this joystick looks identical to the K700/K750i joystick where loads of problems were encountered, but as imnavigating i cant help but notice how much it feels against my thumb.

The only other thing is the buttons are insanely stiff, texting has been a nightmare because half the time my presses dont register. Oh, and going from a Sony to Nokia back to Sony confused me - The Nokia used to have the "0" button as space, but on the Sony its the "#". Hence now all my texts are "so+how+are you+then?+upto+much soon?" oollalala!

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
As yet I havn't noticed the problems you mentioned, I guess it's different for every person :D

Heres a sample pic ...

It's been re-saved from JPG to JPG, i selected 100% image quality, but unsure if it actualy is, dosnt look for off anyway :p

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Gray said:
Yeah, i did try the camera on it, that is a very very very nice camera indeed, took a picture of the TV screen and instead of it showing all the interference/lines, it shows a perfect crystal clear screen.

Thats nothing to do with the camera quality, it's the shutter speed matching the refresh rate of the tv.

Penguin

Fledgling Freddie
Excluding the better camera and look is there much difference between the W800I and the K800I?

There doesn't seem to be much difference between the W800 and W810 except the look again, i wish i had waited for the W810.. much nicer look imo. The orange/white has become boring :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom