Advice Noisey neighbours

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Nonsense, sayward is right to suggest that. It's not overkill at all Nate - it sends a clear message that you will not have it, and also alleviates actual risk of accidents. Calling the firemen is the most sensible thing to do here.

I had a neighbour do a grill in his balcony, 1st floor. I'm on 5th, vertically above him, yeah? He filled my flat and others below me with smoke, i thought it was a real fire, so i called the emergency services. 2 fire trucks and 3 ambulances showed up, he got a fine.

He never tried it again.

rynnor

Rockhound
sayward said:
Different type of thing but my downstairs neighbour has opened up an old fireplace and everytime she uses it we get a heavy smell of smoke. I've complained, she's a stupid thoughtless bag.At least 2 fire officers have told me to ring 999 when it happens and get the fire brigade out. They reckon after it's happened a couple of times she'lll never light it again. Not that I've tried it but maybe if you rang 999 every time and the police actually came out, maybe she'd get the message.

Get a carbon monoxide alarm or you may not wake up one night she lights a fire sadly...

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Get a very loud smoke alarm and then go to the pub.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Managed to speak to the nurse yesterday morning, she didnt seem to care tbh!

Well at least I've said something

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
At least 2 fire officers have told me to ring 999 when it happens

Do that then. It's from the horses mouth.

She probably just needs to get her flue cleaned - and that'd give her the impetus.

sayward

Resident Freddy
I have smoke alarms and CO alarms. House was built circa 1900. Basically they couldn't get a liner down the chimney so they fitted a wood burning stove regardless. Smoke and smell leaches thro the actual chimney as bricks etc have deteriorated. I have unused open fireplaces in all rooms. Building regs can't do anything as the work was done over a year ago! And of course they'd told me they were fitting a liner. I'm in talks with environmental health They're supposed to be writing to her....

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I have smoke alarms and CO alarms. House was built circa 1900. Basically they couldn't get a liner down the chimney so they fitted a wood burning stove regardless. Smoke and smell leaches thro the actual chimney as bricks etc have deteriorated. I have unused open fireplaces in all rooms. Building regs can't do anything as the work was done over a year ago! And of course they'd told me they were fitting a liner. I'm in talks with environmental health They're supposed to be writing to her....

I *think* they're supposed to have an pass a smoke test if you're not fitting a liner. But can't really say. If there's smoke then that's definitely hazardous to your health, no question.

I'd carry on doing what you're doing - and also do what your mate said. I'd call the firemen next time smoke comes through. They'll be glad of the trip out anyway (its not like they do owt) and it'll shit your neighbour up. :)

Edit: If the chimney's leaking looks like it could be a legal requirement to line it:
Older houses will normally just be exposed brick inside - it is not a legal requirement to line these older chimneys unless they are leaking

Last edited:

sayward

Resident Freddy
You don't need planning but you do have to follow building regs but because it's over a year old there's nothing they can do! So why have the regulation!

sayward

Resident Freddy
Update. I have to compose a letter to the bag downstairs. Is it ok to hand write it? What's the protocol nowadays?

Tom

I am a FH squatter

The problem you have there is that most sooty chimneys will be slightly damp from lack of use. That's all fine and good if you're no longer using it as a flue, but burning coal + damp = sulphuric acid. That acid eats away at your cement lining (and mortar). That's why you get bits of debris falling down the chimney every so often. It's also why you'll end up killing yourself and anyone else in the house if you don't do something about it.

I still burn coal in my front room, only 3-4 times a year (when I can be arsed) so I accept the risk. But if I was using a chimney for anything else, I'd have it sorted properly. Installing a liner shouldn't be a particularly difficult task for anyone who knows what they're doing. I'd suggest that on your house, it wasn't that it isn't possible, it's that they couldn't be arsed paying to do a proper job.

As for building regs, they change all the time.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Update. I have to compose a letter to the bag downstairs. Is it ok to hand write it? What's the protocol nowadays?

you have to cut letters out of magazines and stick them together to make words. also, lots of pictures of cats with their eyes cut out.

sayward

Resident Freddy
I have the letter ready to go as soon as I leave the building tomorrow! My upstairs neighbour isn't interested bcause she can't smell anything. I can't get it into her head that most of these toxic fumes are odourless! She has however got a godawful cough and has had for months. i'll keep you posted.

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
Mis-read the thread title as "nosey"....was gonna suggest standing stark bollock naked in the window and wave at them.

Edmond

Well why didn't someone say something?

Edmond

I knew you were all whispering behind my back :cry:

sayward

Resident Freddy
Sorry didn't like to. You might be dyslexic and then I'd get arrested by the health and safety police!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom