No Man's Sky - procedurally generated Sci-Fi exploration

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Sixty Euros. Dicks.
To add emphasis to the "dicks" comment, I just bought a replacement bit of glass for a washing machine from England that came to £27.64 inc. delivery, which Google reckons is just shy of € 32. Google also reckons that £40 is € ~46... £40 > € 60 is bloody criminal. It's not like they have added costs because they have to ship the digital copy further or something. :eek:

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Played about 90 mins need a break now. But i repaired my ship and made a few discoveries. Not worked out how to scan animals yet.

Theres def a frame rate issue. And it sometimes just doesnt want to start up from the steam page. But i guess the devs will work that out.

Its getting a bit of abuse for those two issues tho.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
A bit lol.

UQiSrtM.jpg

View: https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/764153412975988736

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
This after they delayed the PC launch to "get it right and make the best version we can"...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Really enjoying it so far, chilled as fuck.

No problems for me so far, the odd frame drop on a new planet

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Gsync in enabled by default in a settings file, - turning it off has improved FPS/stutter for a lot of people.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
you mean vsync? Dont think i know what gsync is lol

It's adaptive rate display shit, basically stops screen tearing when you drop under your monitors refresh rate, amds version is called freesync.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Yeh but I've got a gsync card and monitor. Shouldnt it stay enabled?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Depends if it has a bad performance hit for you or not, gsync is there to compensate if you cant maintain your monitors max FPS in a game. If you're at say 50fps on a 60hz monitor, but turning gsync off puts you at a solid 60.....

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
There's now an experimental branch of the game which supposedly fixes some of the issues. How a game with this much hype got through QA in such a state is anybody's guess.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Depends if it has a bad performance hit for you or not, gsync is there to compensate if you cant maintain your monitors max FPS in a game. If you're at say 50fps on a 60hz monitor, but turning gsync off puts you at a solid 60.....
My monitor does 144Hz. Should I be worried?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
If you didnt notice anything, probably not?

Also been playing a bit, FUCK THE INVENTORY SYSTEM.
Stopped playing, waiting for patch.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The inventory system is fine until you have to sell stuff.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
so....it's fine until you have to make use of it?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
It's shit from the start, you get a 12 slot on person inventory, and if you go out of a small range of your ship you can't transfer stuff, that means you have to pickup only what your current questbob tells you to get, you can't just pickup stuff you know will likely be next while you're there - cuz that'd be too sensible and fuck you.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
So you gave up in what is basically the noob zone then, righto.

Enjoying space mining a little now and a bit of combat. Upgraded my ship but saving up for a bigger one now.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Tip though. When you buy a new ship you cant take your fuel with you.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
It's shit from the start, you get a 12 slot on person inventory, and if you go out of a small range of your ship you can't transfer stuff, that means you have to pickup only what your current questbob tells you to get, you can't just pickup stuff you know will likely be next while you're there - cuz that'd be too sensible and fuck you.
Really i never had any issues transfering no matter how far away.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
How does the galactic map work? It just looks like a bunch of stars. Can you see what each system looks like?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You can see how many planets there are, then its a gamble. Make sure you make a decent amount of warp cores.

Also if a planet sucks, leave it. No point risking expensive repairs over them.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Can you add more inventory space to you ship or do you have to buy a new one?

Can you tell which systems are going to be tough (like anarchy ones in Elite?)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Not sure, maybe later with better scanners. Yeah, bigger ships = more space. You also come across outposts that allow you to purchase extra suit inventory too. Look out for asteroid fields, can get some valuable loot from them but beware of pirates. Combat is pretty good really but you will take a pounding early on.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I have played it a good few hours and on the whole its pretty good. Personally I have not run into any graphical problems, a nice steady 60fps. The pop in can be annoying occasionally, generally it is OK but the odd high density mineral pillar seems to render in front of your eyes when flying at high speed. In nearly 30 hours play it has crashed at random twice and both times within minutes so maybe there was something about that it didn’t like. Playing in borderless window mode sorted out the Alt+Tab problem, in full screen it refuses to allow you to tab back.

It’s not jaw dropping up close by any means, some of the textures are very console but the ambience is really good and as a whole it works. The sound effects are excellent.

Controls can seem a little odd when flying but I have found mouse and keyboard are fine, it’s fairly simple when compared to Elite. One really annoying aspect is you cannot hover and landing on the exact spot you want can be a little of a gamble sometimes. I was unfortunate to manage to land in a sink hole that had a tunnel system at the bottom, my ship then got wedged when attempting to take off meaning it crashed, it then respawned me outside with a knackered engine which I had to repair. You cannot move your head (Possibly a bug because I understand you can on console?) while flying which is really annoying at times. It would also be nice to leave notes about planets, if you find one with a decent amount of any particular resource.

Space combat is basic but fun, you tend to get attacked the higher the value goods you are carrying so if you can do then sell them on the planet (you will need to find a trade post) You can jump to warp if you are quick and lucky when you see an enemy scan.

While the inventory is an issue early on its not the case throughout, you can upgrade your ship to something larger (there are loads) and you can also upgrade your suit inventory. Weapon attachment slots also increase later on as you find new weapons/mining tools. Plus, most things can be upgraded one way or another.

I am not sure it will have super long term play value but then I have only been messing about within a small group of solar systems but so far its good. I have no intention of power gaming though it, those that need instant gratification need to look elsewhere.

Tldr. It’s by no means best game ever but I reckon I will get at least 100 hours out of it, if not a couple of 100, which is all I ask for £40. A nice chilled out game that you can sit back and mess about with.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
really want this game but im put off with so many negative reviews really torn on whether to get it not :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom