News site

soulthief

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone know if there any plans to continue with the barrysworld news site?

This would be a very good thing indeed, especially if it was green again - not the more lurid game.net colours ...

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Indeed im lost without teh bw news to guide meh through the latest news

worMatty

One of Freddy's beloved
IMO, no point in doing new when there's other news sites, unless there's some special features only available at FH.

granny

Fledgling Freddie
News sites are difficult to do these days tbh.

There's plenty of well-established sites already, just reformatting their news offers nothing useful, getting regular and original news content online requires a lot of time & therefore staff and has a tendency to start costing money or end up shit.

No need to reinvent the wheel I say :)

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
There is possibly one type of news site needed - a UK Games news site, what current releases & and there reviews, what the UK based developers are up to, up coming Lan's etc. With all the UK GSP's dying or dead there are no UK based news sites worth the time. All thats really needed is a bluesnews but UK centred. But as said its no means a small commitment for anyone to do one of these lots of time with little reward...

bigbb

Loyal Freddie
Ukle said:
There is possibly one type of news site needed - a UK Games news site, what current releases & and there reviews, what the UK based developers are up to, up coming Lan's etc. With all the UK GSP's dying or dead there are no UK based news sites worth the time. All thats really needed is a bluesnews but UK centred. But as said its no means a small commitment for anyone to do one of these lots of time with little reward...

http://www.ukgamer.com/
http://www.news0r.com etc.

soulthief

Fledgling Freddie
The old news site ruled imo. I thought it had the best mixture of games/hardware/software/general IT news of any site I've come across. I miss it badly!

But of course its time, hassle and grief to put something like that together, so I can understand if its not something that the new (old?) Freddys team are going to do.

Anyone know if there are any plans?

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Why not have a news section on here then people can post links to news that they think might be relevant or of interest to ppl on fh

worMatty

One of Freddy's beloved
But that's the point of a topical discussion forum, isn't it? :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
RandomBastard said:
Really? it seems mostly to be spam round these parts ;P
Irony? :p

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's ok, popup ads are wank, thanks all the same.

C

cro

I offered news0r's news feed free of charge and was told to fuck off by TedTheDog.

There you go.

bigfoot

Fledgling Freddie
I'd like to see a news site (with columns n stuff) but with no local archive of files it might become a bit too external linky to make it worthwhile.

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
FH news would be great. I just can't get on with the current offerings elsewhere tbh.
While on the subject ........ one of the things I'm gonna miss most is a decent ftp tbh. Any chance something might be do-able?

bigfoot

Fledgling Freddie
throdgrain said:
Tis indeed the ftp that Im going to miss :/

There was talk of the FTP remaining in some form to do with the Shop site. I shall enquire on your behalf.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
The FTP was the feature I used the most, would be great if it stays.

TedTheDog

Fred's & Barry's co-founder
News is something we've been thinking about, but in keeping with this thread, we're not sure if its a good idea or not.
There are loads of news sites out there and we'd need to bring something new to it and we're not sure what that would be, other than "our style" (whatever the fuck that is).

It certainly wouldnt be a website however, it would probably be a Forum. And right now, we're waiting for a new release of the forum software so we can lay the forums out a lot better, as they're a bit messy right now, and until then we'll probably give news a miss.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
TedTheDog said:
other than "our style" (whatever the fuck that is).
From memory it generally involved the same copy & paste from PR crap that everyone else on the net does, but with actual humour in there..... until the whole "how dare you call it counter-shite" bollocks and the "no no no, can't do that" which followed.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
cro said:
I offered news0r's news feed free of charge and was told to fuck off by TedTheDog.

There you go.

Not quite the way it came across Tom but hey, read into it what you think.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
cro said:

There you go.

teh grumpeh :/

Whipped

Part of the furniture
While we wait to sort something out News wise. Why not have a litlle fun and see who can come up with the best news story that may come true this year. Then next January we can award prizes of smugness.

And any news story about HL2, DOOM3 or DNF being delayed even further are banned for being to easy :)

Embattle

FH is my second home
Wij said:
teh grumpeh :/

teh truth..perhaps not surprising.

Unless its going to be done properly then don't bother doing it at all.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Whipped said:
While we wait to sort something out News wise. Why not have a litlle fun and see who can come up with the best news story that may come true this year. Then next January we can award prizes of smugness.

And any news story about HL2, DOOM3 or DNF being delayed even further are banned for being to easy :)

Someone will invent optical computers that are cheap and easy to make, putting intel and amd out of buissness (thus ending that debate). NVidia will make the Nforce Optical chipset for it and ati will retire to making games consoles. Oh and skynet will nuke the earth obliterating all human life.

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
Maybe a forum about news stories where others can post their views, i.e like the columns forum could be good?

Could be games related, but only posting the big stories and none of the "this game was released" because if you want that kind of info a lot of sites already offer good services, be silly to try and compete?

I'm happy to team up with whipped and knock some ideas together (if it's ok with deebs, ted and co mind)

Mini

Fledgling Freddie
soulthief said:
.....This would be a very good thing indeed, especially if it was green again - not the more lurid game.net colours ...

You just gotta love the green :flame:

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
SAS said:
Maybe a forum about news stories where others can post their views, i.e like the columns forum could be good?

Could be games related, but only posting the big stories and none of the "this game was released" because if you want that kind of info a lot of sites already offer good services, be silly to try and compete?

I'm happy to team up with whipped and knock some ideas together (if it's ok with deebs, ted and co mind)
Can count me in again as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom