News News International back tracks again on phone hacking

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
BBC just had an interview with a brilliant Q.C. who basically said that this closure does nothing but good for Murdoch and News International. He said OFCOM's case that the BskyB purchase could create a media monopoly is weakened with NotW vanishing, also the BskyB share price has fallen substantially and will continue to do so for a while thereby making the purchase price far below what they would have been expected to play. The £700 million in value change already completely dwarves the loss of NotW for a short time.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
Any guesses what the headline on Sunday for the final edition will be? :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Something along the lines of "Sniffle"

Gumbo

FH is my second home
BBC just had an interview with a brilliant Q.C. who basically said that this closure does nothing but good for Murdoch and News International. He said OFCOM's case that the BskyB purchase could create a media monopoly is weakened with NotW vanishing, also the BskyB share price has fallen substantially and will continue to do so for a while thereby making the purchase price far below what they would have been expected to play. The £700 million in value change already completely dwarves the loss of NotW for a short time.

Thanks, but I'm not a QC, just someone who can see through the first layer.

I'll take brilliant though.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Thanks, but I'm not a QC, just someone who can see through the first layer.

I'll take brilliant though.

:p To be fair you did say it but he said it far better and went into alot more detail. :D

Oh and he had a tie on, therefore he gets the credit!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
And he probably doesn't list felching as a hobby.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
That doesn't contradict my point though. They are separate papers. NotW staff will have to apply for jobs on The Sun. They won't be moved straight across (I'm guessing.)
Presumably that depends entirely if they're employed directly by the paper or it's parent company.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
As I understand it many of these reporters float between newspapers, especially within that group. It will be the administrative and technical staff who loose their jobs, not any of the reporters.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Yep, the Sun newsroom and the NoTW newsrooms are next door to each other on the same corridor. The relationship is very incestuous.

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
Daily Stars offices been raided by police as well... blimey

house of cards maybes

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Rebekah Brooks is leading the investigation into the News of the World phone hacking.

How about we get Ronald McDonald to look into childhood obesity?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Steve Coogan: "Hitler was nice to dogs"

Excellent.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
why do press types always look like scruffy bastards when they go on the tv. He could have made an effort to put his tie on properly.

and his arguments were (unsurprisingly) a right load of bollocks. wheeling out freedom of the press is such an obvious, and specious, argument. Like they couldnt investigate these stories another way, and illegally hacking phones etc is ok as it gets the story.

Steve coogan wasnt impressed was he :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
If I could conjure up a stereotypical gutter-press journo it would be Ian McMullan in that youtube clip. The only thing he's missing is his dirty weather-stained raincoat

Tom

I am a FH squatter
And yet people lined up in their millions to read the shite he wrote.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
And yet people lined up in their millions to read the shite he wrote.

Yep, that is the really sad aspect of all this, people will be buying it tomorrow because it is just routine. Can proudly say I haven't bought that peice of shit in 15 years and even then I may have bought it 10 times in my entire life, the sooner tabloid journalism dies off the better.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I did like when he tried to talk about press freedom. I can't help but compare it to the bank situation where they were given the freedom for something and have made a complete hash of it so tough tits if some regulation comes in to clamp down on them.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
7 days of the Sun, the best selling paper in the country.
The vast majority of people in this country are the types who get annoyed at soap stars, nod their heads at purile rhetoric and change their world view with simplistic manipulation.
The Sun 'Editorial' just sums it up, go and read one , they take side on an issue and then without fail argue against themselves in the last sentence, it's like the Barnum press.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
I buy the Sun... but basically I buy it because I don't have the time to sit and read a broadsheet.

It gives me a brief overview of the news and it gives me a laugh.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Hopefully it'll kick off overseas now as there are reports that 9/11 victims were also hacked.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Hopefully it'll kick off overseas now as there are reports that 9/11 victims were also hacked.

How sweet would that be? Anything that hurts Fox News, even inadvertantly can be nothing but good.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
ABC's political discussion show were discussing whether murdoch could lose his fcc license in the US which would effectively end Fox news.

we can dream!

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
ABC's political discussion show were discussing whether murdoch could lose his fcc license in the US which would effectively end Fox news.

we can dream!

Joy! :D

How Fox News is still even on air after admitting that they only broadcast the news they want thier audience to see is beyond me, anything negative they just pretend doesn't exist. They lie on a regular basis and get away with it too.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
We can all dream, but it won't happen. It would be nice to have a press which is even slightly impartial though, compared to the farce we have currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom