New telly

Saraden

Loyal Freddie
If you are picky at all, I would advice against edge lit LED's (which most of the current ones are). I am sending mine Samsung back as it has serious enough light bleed on all 4 corners. Visible also on normal light scenes if there's something darker in the corners. Enough said if my sister thought it was annoying.

Plasma's don't have that problem, but they tend to make high frequency buzz noise on bright scenes.

So pick your poison, after trying both I would lean on the plasma.

Embattle

FH is my second home
The Plasma market has been in decline for a while now and will continue that trend, TVs like any thing can be hit/miss.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
oh right, my bad. I had mine on a low table also at approx sofa-head height. I *really* hate looking up at a tv.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Room's looking great Tom.

Shame you've got to have gaybo's bikes hanging on the wall. My 780mm salsa whammy flat MTB bar would be a hazard that stuck out into your room too far ;)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Bought this:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txp50gt60b/pana-txp50gt60b

Quality is very good, 1080p material like Prometheus looks outstanding. The picture has a very slight green cast although I'm told that after a few weeks of use, I can calibrate the display properly and remove any of that. The sound is ok, not brilliant but fine for normal telly, I will buy a 5.1 system at some point though, just for films. The inbuilt media player is fine, it'll play stuff off my computer's HD over the network, but it doesn't recognise mkv files (you can rename them to avi and it'll play them). I tried watching Breaking Bad on it last night, but after a couple of minutes the lipsync was out, so I reckon I'll buy one of those USB media streamers instead. I think it's just down to whatever codec was used in the file, some films work just fine.

Can't complain at anything else though. The menus are all nice and fast, lovely fades and picture zooms, etc. It has some kind of pen thing with it, that'll never be used. Probably the same with the 3D specs. The remote is nice and weighty and the buttons all make sense.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The inbuilt media player is fine, it'll play stuff off my computer's HD over the network, but it doesn't recognise mkv files (you can rename them to avi and it'll play them). I tried watching Breaking Bad on it last night, but after a couple of minutes the lipsync was out, so I reckon I'll buy one of those USB media streamers instead.
RasberryPi & OpenElec would be my recommendation.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Use Ps media server and it will allow your tv to play pretty much anything.

Tilda

Bought this:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txp50gt60b/pana-txp50gt60b

Quality is very good, 1080p material like Prometheus looks outstanding. The picture has a very slight green cast although I'm told that after a few weeks of use, I can calibrate the display properly and remove any of that. The sound is ok, not brilliant but fine for normal telly, I will buy a 5.1 system at some point though, just for films. The inbuilt media player is fine, it'll play stuff off my computer's HD over the network, but it doesn't recognise mkv files (you can rename them to avi and it'll play them). I tried watching Breaking Bad on it last night, but after a couple of minutes the lipsync was out, so I reckon I'll buy one of those USB media streamers instead. I think it's just down to whatever codec was used in the file, some films work just fine.

Can't complain at anything else though. The menus are all nice and fast, lovely fades and picture zooms, etc. It has some kind of pen thing with it, that'll never be used. Probably the same with the 3D specs. The remote is nice and weighty and the buttons all make sense.

If you need to get rid of your old TV... ;)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
My old TV went to the tip a couple of years back :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom