New telly

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm after a 55" telly, 1080p resolution, budget no more than a grand. I'm not bothered about 3D, I just want something that'll play the stuff I download from't'internet, and a bit of daytime telly through my Virgin cable. I'd like something with a memory card slot or something, perhaps a network connector or wifi, so I can play stuff that way.

Any recommendations?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
You'll struggle to find a 55" TV that doesn't do full hd. I have a Samsung UE55C6000 (off the top of my head) and it's great. It's a few years old now but is 55", has USB input with pretty awesome support for every media file I have thrown at it (mostly 720p TV shows and 1080p movies and mostly x264 mkv's), has a LAN port (and you can buy a wifi USB dongle I think). So, yeah... get the current version of that.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
no rec, but I would advise taking the refresh rate in to consideration. get as high a Hz number as you can.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I'd go LG or Sony, or.Panasonic for that matter, seen too many problems with Samsung and too many professional AV installers that won't touch then with a bargepole.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Last I heard Samsung and LG were the best 2 brands and Sony were LOL.

Bodhi

caLLous said:
Last I heard Samsung and LG were the best 2 brands and Sony were LOL.

The 2011 Bravias won more awards than Samsung's canteen has served dog for dinner.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Panasonic seem to dominate this list so might be worth looking it. I have a 3 year old 40 inch Samsung and I am very happy with it. It has served me well and the Quality of the picture looks as good on day to day TV as my mates 6 month old top of the line LG but on a 1080p Blu-Ray you can see some difference. And I agree with the highest Hz possible mine has 600 i think it is and i paid a premium for it but compared to 100 Hz tv's even brand new it is noticeable and worth the extra.

Bodhi

Raven said:
Which awards?

What Hi-fi, T3 and stuff just off the top of my head, pretty sure it was El Regs pick as well.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Bodhi in pot-holing up Sony's arse shocker!

;)

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Would not touch Sony with a barge pole, re-badged panels with new S/W is just about all they are capable of.

Have a 55" Panasonic on my wall for the 18 months and it has been great. This was after years of buying only Samsung. The reason Samsung did so well over the past few years is that they took on the people that Panasonic made redundant in 2004, taking a lot of intellectual property with them. Actually made Matsushita develop a proper ISM policy :). This effectively reduced Samsung's R&D spend and allowed them to sell slightly cheaper than the equivalent Panasonic model. Samsung were good, but quality has dropped off recently.

120 Hz minimum now for refresh, anything less means it has old decoder chips.

Bodhi

Wazzerphuk said:
Bodhi's Sony I'd Like To Fornicate of the Year Award

Even though I also mentioned LG and Panasonic?

Selective reading ftw!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
You're the only one to have mentioned Sony in a positive light though, so... yeah...

Bodhi

caLLous said:
You're the only one to have mentioned Sony in a positive light though, so... yeah...

Only going by the very positive reviews I've read, take it the reviewers are Sony fanboys too? Or perhaps they still make fucking good TV's?

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-kdl-40hx853_TV_review

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Son...-40HX853-3D-LED-LCD-TV-Review_306/Review.html

http://www.whathifi.com/review/kdl-46hx853

Makes me.think it might actually be a cracking set? I've seen the 55 inch version for sale around the 1k mark, seems a bit of a no brainer to me.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Thanks guys, I haven't yet finished the room it'll go in but that won't be far away (provided some slow paying clients pay up...)

Bodhi

Embattle said:
The Sony 8 series is but is due for replacement soon.

That's what I was thinking if the 8 series is about to be replaced there should be some good offers on. If I had a grand that 55 incher would be in the living room.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
8574575701_cfd16e26d3_c.jpg

It'll be going about where that chair is, the sofa will be diagonally opposite. The room is bigger than the lens makes it appear.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
You're making a sex dungeon?

Also, why are you putting the TV so low and on a corner?

;)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I thought the telly was going on the wall?

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Sony do manufacture a single LCD or LED panel. They buy them from Panasonic, Fujitsu, LG and Samsung. I believe they do develop their own driver boards and software. Panasonic's biggest global client for sub system parts was Sony. How people can say they are better than Samsung, Panasonic and LG etc is totally mystifying to me. When all they do is buy in decoders, panels etc and assemble them.

Bodhi

Hawkwind said:
Sony do manufacture a single LCD or LED panel. They buy them from Panasonic, Fujitsu, LG and Samsung. I believe they do develop their own driver boards and software. Panasonic's biggest global client for sub system parts was Sony. How people can say they are better than Samsung, Panasonic and LG etc is totally mystifying to me. When all they do is buy in decoders, panels etc and assemble them.

Who cares who manufactures the panel? All the technology that makes a difference in a flat panel screen is in the driver boards and software, which as you say Sony make themselves. What's more, after years of developing their own tubes, and rafts of.professional AV equipment, they've got pretty damn good at it. Hence the difference between them and the Koreans, who seem to struggle of they have no one to copy/steal from.

I also mentioned LG (as I have one and it's pretty decent) and Panasonic as they normally get good reviews. As did the Sony I mentioned. Kinda why I mentioned it.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Panasonics improved a lot with the purchase of Pioneer's Kuro technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom