TV New Season!

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Mr. Inbetween is on Disney+ now. Absolutely brilliant, brutal, Aussie show. One of the best I've ever seen.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
It was OK. Trying to be The Wire 2.0 but it does annoying time jumps that you can only spot by the state of Jon Bernthal's facial hair. I'll give it a go though.

Also started to watch this:

View: https://youtu.be/iowLzO9-aew

First episode was very good

The Offer didn't read as though it will be good (trying to get funding for the Godfather or something) but I'll give it a go on your recommendation.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds was...Great. Old school Trek, old school plot, no bullshit. A refreshing change.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds was...Great. Old school Trek, old school plot, no bullshit. A refreshing change.
Indeed, also:
the Discovery tie in managed to not be complete shite and the Kirk & Khan/Genetics swerves were good plays as well. The disguise stuff is a bit of a ret-con given the TNG "get in the make up chair with Dr Beverly stuff" but again also reasonably well handled.

By comparison Picard was... well IGN summed it up pretty well tbh

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYMAsy4UgjU

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Never even heard of it! What's that on other than a raft in the high seas?

I've binned off Star Trek Magic Mushroom Discovery and am grinding my teeth getting through Star Trek Harry Potter Picard simply out of loyalty to Patrick Stewart (who's ST legacy is getting raped).

I'm open to more Star Trek (it's not completely dead like Star Wars) but if it's a hard recommend?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber

I've binned off Star Trek Magic Mushroom Discovery and am grinding my teeth getting through Star Trek Harry Potter Picard simply out of loyalty to Patrick Stewart (who's ST legacy is getting raped).

I'm open to more Star Trek (it's not completely dead like Star Wars) but if it's a hard recommend?
Episode 1 of SNW was better than the whole of Picard season 2 imho

dysfunction

FH is my second home

Yes Discovery and Picard are both dire.
I'm hoping they realise their idiotic mistakes and get back to core Star Trek again.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm rewatching Next Gen. We're at a point where quality has dropped and weird statements / actions are being made.

I checked the dates - and it's not long after Rodenberry Died :(

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Yes Discovery and Picard are both dire.
I'm hoping they realise their idiotic mistakes and get back to core Star Trek again.
I thought Discovery 1 & 2 were actually OK. Jason Isaacs plotline was quite cool.

3 was shite.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I thought Discovery 1 & 2 were actually OK. Jason Isaacs plotline was quite cool.

3 was shite.
And Picard 1 was confusing mash of fan-service.

Not bothered with D4 or P2. Can't be arsed.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
And Picard 1 was confusing mash of fan-service.

Not bothered with D4 or P2. Can't be arsed.
D4 is the worst series of modern trek imho, despite everything P2 has tried to snatch that title

Wij

I am a FH squatter
D4 is the worst series of modern trek imho, despite everything P2 has tried to snatch that title
I shall bank those 20 hours of my life or so for something more worthwhile then.

dysfunction

FH is my second home

3 was shite.

It's all childish and predictable.
It's all lots of shouting at one another and no real respect for authority or anything. It's ok to have an arguments but choose the time and place. Not on the bridge with everyone listening undermining all authority with no consequences.

And then they throw in these "emotional moments" to show you they have feelings but don't really give you any reason to get invested in the characters so you feel nothing for them.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's not even remotely science-fiction any more, it's full on fantasy (just set in space). It asks no big intellectual questions and has more in common with the pacing of the tenant-era doctor who than anything else.

It's about as far from Rodenberry's Star Trek as it's possible to get without it being totally unrecognisable as such.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
It's not even remotely science-fiction any more, it's full on fantasy (just set in space). It asks no big intellectual questions and has more in common with the pacing of the tenant-era doctor who than anything else.

It's about as far from Rodenberry's Star Trek as it's possible to get without it being totally unrecognisable as such.

i agree on top of what I mentioned.
The fact they disregard what has happened in "old " Star Trek and recreate the universe is diabolical.

They need to build on what has been and not destroy what was.

Tom

I am a FH squatter

I agree, I've watched everything Trek except the animated series and I think it's great. Discovery is....ok....but I still don't know the names of the people on the bridge. Picard is better (I really enjoyed the finale of season 2) but still a bit off. But this was straight out of the gate superb.

I just wish they'd stop using background music all the time. It's unnecessary.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm rewatching Next Gen. We're at a point where quality has dropped and weird statements / actions are being made.

I checked the dates - and it's not long after Rodenberry Died :(

Roddenberry was the reason the first season of STTNG was so formulaic and crappy. I know people slag season 2 off, but the opening episode has some really nice moments, like Wesley and Guinan chatting in Ten Forward. I can't find the clip online. Roddenberry was also the reason Gates McFadden left for a season. There's also Q Who, Measure of a Man, A Matter of Honour, Loud as a Whisper, The Emissary, all solid episodes. Just don't watch the final episode.

STTNG really gets going in season 3. Yesterday's Enterprise should have been held back for the script for the first STTNG film. It's fucking brilliant.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
STTNG really gets going in season 3. Yesterday's Enterprise should have been held back for the script for the first STTNG film. It's fucking brilliant.
It kinda gets used in first contact

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The first 4 episodes of the first season of Bosch Legacy (the spinoff) is out. I haven't watched any of it yet but it seems to be well-received and a second season has already been ordered.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The first 4 episodes of the first season of Bosch Legacy (the spinoff) is out. I haven't watched any of it yet but it seems to be well-received and a second season has already been ordered.
Binged it on Friday. Loved it. Don't care if people call it Bosch S8. It is Bosch. Enough said.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I have just started to watch A Handmaid's Tale.... it is brilliantly acted but it is horribly addictive - horrible being the word to focus on ...

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I have just started to watch A Handmaid's Tale.... it is brilliantly acted but it is horribly addictive - horrible being the word to focus on ...
And it’s where the US is heading now. Much more relevant now than it was when it was written.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom