TV New Season!

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Yeah you need zero knowledge about the game to watch it. Honestly this may be the best thing I've watched all year.
We actually liked the first 3 episodes - I like the cell shaded borderlandsesque animation also

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The second act (episodes 4-6) of Arcane is out and it's fantastic. Set up nicely for the last act next week.

Ormorof

FH is my second home

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
More pertinent; yet another subscription streaming service. I certainly won't be buying it.
I saw a YouTube video that said there was a suggestion that Paramount+ might be a Sky exclusive in the UK as well :ROFLMAO:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Vote with your yarrr! it worked before, show the fuckers again.

It's getting silly now, back to torrents/dodgy streams it is for me. I just can't be bothered with it all.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Sooo...

Star Trek Discovery - so far so meh. Opening scene seemed extremely reminiscent of Star Trek: Into Darkness, which isn't a good thing. Is the President woman a Cardassian?

Foundation. I'm enjoying it, but it really doesn't have anything to do with the original at this stage and largely seems to have missed the point of the books entirely.

Wheel of Time. I know nothing about the books as I'm generally very snobbish about fantasy (99% of it is dogshit). I've only watched ep 1. so far and I have no idea if its close to the source material or not (instinctively I'm guessing...not), but it was OK. I'll give it a chance.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Sooo...

Star Trek Discovery - so far so meh. Opening scene seemed extremely reminiscent of Star Trek: Into Darkness, which isn't a good thing. Is the President woman a Cardassian?
Yes, she is. Didn't you know every species' ever now has its own worf or is best mates with their mortal enemy (Saru's planet). Feels like it's a cross of movie plots Star Trek (blow up Romulus and Vulcan) and The Undiscovered Country (cloaked enemy). Honestly it's dull as dishwasher that everything Trek now has to blow up a planet like it's in some dick measuring contest with Star Wars all the time. Plus it probably won't be anything fun like the Romulans doing this which might save it because they could use that to close out the loophole that Romulan ships never needed dilithium and they have rebuilt the Empire in secret during the burn taking the Vulcans for fools with the whole reunification bit and now they need to take out the federation before it reasserts itself.

So it's just shaping up to be a whole season trying too ensure every episode passes the bechdel test by pitting Burnham against her biggest foe... another woman which will doubtless be really low key after having seen her conquering alternative reality, time and space

I worry that they're just going to sideline Vance who was one of the better characters last season and Saru who's my favourite in the whole show.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Wheel of Time. ... I have no idea if its close to the source material or not (instinctively I'm guessing...not)

They have made lots of lesser and greater changes, most of which I do not understand the reason for as they do not help the adaptation and lose necessary or interesting elements from the source material. My biggest complaint is the pacing, they are speed running the first book and giving no time for world building or character development. Saying that its not terrible but its not great either. A solid 6.5-7/10 so far. Amazon seem to have a lot of confidence in the show though as they've already renewed it for a 3rd season.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I am really enjoying Mayor of Kingstown.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
They have made lots of lesser and greater changes, most of which I do not understand the reason for as they do not help the adaptation and lose necessary or interesting elements from the source material. My biggest complaint is the pacing, they are speed running the first book and giving no time for world building or character development. Saying that its not terrible but its not great either. A solid 6.5-7/10 so far. Amazon seem to have a lot of confidence in the show though as they've already renewed it for a 3rd season.

How do they not speed run it?
14 main books in the story.
8 episodes for season 1 and that's covering the first book plus a little of s2.

If it does well the odds of it going 14 seasons is still low.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Going to wait until whole season is out before watching but not really bothered when stories change when medium changes, can work well to play to strengths (see Hitch Hikers guide radio vs book vs tv show vs movie, some hits and misses there :D )

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
How do they not speed run it?
14 main books in the story.
8 episodes for season 1 and that's covering the first book plus a little of s2.

If it does well the odds of it going 14 seasons is still low.

Of course it has to be abbreviated, how could it not. But there are still ways to tell a coherent story while doing so. I just don't think they have done a good of doing that so far.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South

Watched episode 1 - I like it! Bit cheesy, acting is cheesy, just as expected.

True anime enthusiasts will hate it - Obviously.

JBP|

Part of the furniture

Watched episode 1 - I like it! Bit cheesy, acting is cheesy, just as expected.

I watched the first couple of episodes over the weekend and really like it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Thought it was OK. It lacks the energy of the anime but we'll watch it :)

Weirdly, I was unimpressed with the "trying to make smoking cool again" asthetic. I guess it's just a stark reminder of how TV used to be.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I thought the cast , lighting, set designers, music was all great.
Writing and directors all needed shooting out of a canon into low earth orbit.

Vicious comes across as so badly written a gcse student would get an F or an 8 whatever it is now on an eng lit creative writing test.
Almost like a caricature of a 12 year old villain, it's so bad, plus the costume design just makes him look like a discount alan rickman.

The bits outside the vicious/julia arc would be good but the vicious/julia takes so much time it just becomes painful when neither actor/actress is particularly good and it takes time away from the actual episode content.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
On Ep2 @ECA and we enjoyed it a lot more. I think it's already clear it'll lose to the original but I'm looking forward to tomorrow night :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Hawkeye is good. More grounded than recent MCU stuff, feels a bit more like the Netflix shows.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Of course it has to be abbreviated, how could it not. But there are still ways to tell a coherent story while doing so. I just don't think they have done a good of doing that so far.

Wheel of Time so far has been really crap.
So frustrating to see writing being so poor when clearly they have invested some money in the project.

Even just general conversations are just unrealistic and stupid.

And situations being resolved by just cutting away to something else. It's very lazy

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Not watched it, probably won't. The hatchet job of A song of fire and ice did it for me. Some books just don't work on screen.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Firstly it's A Song of Ice and Fire and secondly what hatchet job? The awful last season has tarnished the legacy of Game of Thrones but the first 6 seasons (and most of the 7th) were outstanding and 100% "worked on screen". The decline started because GRRM took so long to get the books out so the TV show overtook the source material but the "book to screen" aspect worked wonderfully well as long as they had books to work from. For the last 2 or 3 seasons, all they had were plot outlines from GRRM and the standard of the writing/storytelling subsequently fell off a cliff. Benioff and Weiss had other projects lined up, seemingly lost interest in GoT and wanted to wrap it up as quickly as possibly and move on and the rest is history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom