TV New Season!

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Watched Squid game. Was OK, not quite worth the hype but good enough.

Much of the basic story was pretty predictable though, the last 3 survivors, the identity of Front man etc, except for the very end with number 1 - Though I did note you didn't see him get offed, I thought to myself at the time it was because the actor was old, and they didn't want him to fall on the ground. The whole body parts shenanigans ended up being filler, they could have gone further with that.

I can't get passed episode 2. I find it incredibly dull

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Alice in Borderland: Gets better towards the end. Just finished it.

Locke and Key we're now watching. Had to see the last episode of S1 to have any idea about wtf was going on.

Wij

I am a FH squatter

Locke and Key we're now watching. Had to see the last episode of S1 to have any idea about wtf was going on.
Ratings?

I've done 4 seasons of The Expanse. Pretty good mostly.

Dark was the best thing I've watched recently though.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Ratings?

I've done 4 seasons of The Expanse. Pretty good mostly.

Dark was the best thing I've watched recently though.
Dark's on my list, it's supposed to be the best implementation of time travel ever.

dysfunction

FH is my second home

Season 1 of Locke and Key was pretty rubbish. Amazing that it made a 2nd season

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Chestnut Man was pretty good. Enjoyable and tense. Worth watching.

Midnight Mass was great. Sort of horror but makes you think a bit and enjoyable.

The Expanse S1 - 4. S1 was OK but looked a bit low-budget compared to later series.
S2 - 3. Great sci fi.
S4 not quite as good but will be interesting to see what happens in S5.

Dark 10/10 as long as you like that sort of thing :)

For All Mankind S1-2, well made series with the only real flaw that they tend to end each series with something a bit sillier and less believable than the rest.

What If... OK, I guess.

Squid Game. Enjoyable but not worth all the hype it got.

The Alienist S1-2. Decent enough period crime drama but nothing worth worrying about missing.

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
S4 Expanse is the weakest. Gets better in 5.

6 is supposed to be the last @Wij.

The good thing about Squid Game is that I was totally unaware of the hype - and came across it naturally and went "enjoyed that" with no expectations :)

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I have just finished C2 of critical role and it was a corker... just in time for C3 (first episode was last week....)... if you have a lot of listening time I really recommend getting into this it is quite remarkable :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So anyone watching Foundation then? @Zarjazz? @DaGaffer.

It's so far from the book I didn't know whether I was enjoying it or whether it was total dogshit. Just finished EP7.

And I think the very last bit has tipped me over into total dogshit tbh.

I can take Seldon being "murdered" - he never made it to Terminus (he was an old man in the book, not far from death anyway). Even by a son he never had. But I can take "embellishment". But it seems "the plan" was to have a psychohistorian on Terminus - which was a complete no-no. And now his female protagonist can "sense the future"?

Sense the future? WTF?

And she's supposed to run the foundation to fix the first crisis? Another complete no-no - which relates to: Salvor Harden (another girl, not that that really matters) is now one of these "special" people that are there to guide the foundation through the crises. But the whole foundation of psychohistory was a predictive mathematical treament based around large volumes of human beings - specifically not individuals.

That's the basic premise of the whole novel.

Beyond utterly fucking the fundamental basis of the whole story, they've taken taken the mayor of Terminus off Terminus. They've not even really mentioned that the foundation is a foundation of encyclopaedists (and changed the fact that it was a perfectly habitable planet without hardship - they had a job to do, why make 'em suffer?) and involved her in a bullshit storyline about a new death star the Empire lost?

I was kind of enjoying the Cleons and that stuff. I'd even gotten over the robot, who was interesting. I can see they've fantasised about the fall of an Empire and the shit that's going on - that's fuck all to do with the books though really. But hey, maybe they're "showing" not telling. Some of it has been enjoyable - but we're now at EP7 and I'm wondering, how many fucking seasons have they bothered to write? It's about as slow as it could be unless Apple want to run 20 twenty-episode seasons. It'll never get completed (cancelled long long before. Or they'll simply get bored - like the producers of game of thrones did).

Bird is sort of enjoying it. But she can see I'm squirming.

Right now, it's fucking Harry Potter. It's about as far from Science Fiction as a TV series gets.

I think Asimov would think it was a pile of shit tbh. What made it a fundamentally interesting proposition has been trashed. I was hoping that they'd keep to the spirit of the novels - like Dune did very succesfully - but nah, nothing at all is sacred.

It's gash. Very pretty high-production gash. But gash.

??

Last edited:

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
So anyone watching Foundation then? @Zarjazz? @DaGaffer.
??

I can definitely understand your complaints. After the first two episodes it did drop off markedly.

All the scenes with the Emperor are actually rather good.

All the scenes to do with Terminus are awful. The new material they have added just for the show is bad and no offence to the actress playing Salvor Harden but she doesn't have the presence of Lee Pace or Jared Harris to compensate.

All the stuff to do with Gaal Dornick and Hari Seldon is a very mixed bag. It has hints of being intriguing.

From what I remember Gaal Dornick wasn't a pyschohistorian in the book, he was just a mathematician accepted to study with Hari but before that could happen he was shipped off to Terminus, and at Hari's urging to be one of their leaders. So that much in the show is fairly accurate compared to the book. After that the character is never mentioned again.

Also you are right that Hari dies before being banished and he planned / required for that because the Foundation cannot have any pyschohistorians or knowledge of the subject for the plan (maths) to work.

My guess is that the TV show is setting up Gaal to be part of the Second Foundation since they are the ones with mental powers and possibly later on for her to be somehow involved in the fight against the Mule. From the very first episode it was clear Hari knew she was not completely normal.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I can definitely understand your complaints. After the first two episodes it did drop off markedly.

All the scenes with the Emperor are actually rather good.

All the scenes to do with Terminus are awful. The new material they have added just for the show is bad and no offence to the actress playing Salvor Harden but she doesn't have the presence of Lee Pace or Jared Harris to compensate.

All the stuff to do with Gaal Dornick and Hari Seldon is a very mixed bag. It has hints of being intriguing.

From what I remember Gaal Dornick wasn't a pyschohistorian in the book, he was just a mathematician accepted to study with Hari but before that could happen he was shipped off to Terminus, and at Hari's urging to be one of their leaders. So that much in the show is fairly accurate compared to the book. After that the character is never mentioned again.

Also you are right that Hari dies before being banished and he planned / required for that because the Foundation cannot have any pyschohistorians or knowledge of the subject for the plan (maths) to work.

My guess is that the TV show is setting up Gaal to be part of the Second Foundation since they are the ones with mental powers and possibly later on for her to be somehow involved in the fight against the Mule. From the very first episode it was clear Hari knew she was not completely normal.
I thought about the Second Foundation and her maybe being part of it's setup but she'd supposedly die before being able to be weighed in against the Mule (but they have introduced stasis, which is another history-influencing game-changer).

However, even on that the "mental powers" of the Second Foundation were something they trained into them, not something that spontaneously appeared. It's supposedly something latent in humanity - hence the Mule's genetic mutation being something unlockable in a galaxy of trillions. And it absolutely was never anything to do with "seeing into the future" which is just magic.

Agree with the Emperor. I think he's a really good casting choice.

The rest of it is book-breaking bad shit unfortunately

Embattle

FH is my second home

Still think they are going to struggle to beat the animated series no matter who they get.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The new season of Dexter starts tomorrow... it's a pity the previous run ended so badly because I've felt no inclination at all to rewatch it since it aired.

Oh, and season 3 of Narcos: Mexico is decent so far.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I don't give a toss about League of Legends (I know it's an MMORPG online battle game thing but other than that I know nothing) but Arcane is fucking incredible. Great story, great voice acting, great music and absolutely beautiful animation.

Edit - it's not even an MMORPG which shows how little I know about it.

Last edited:

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
I don't give a toss about League of Legends (I know it's an MMORPG online battle game thing but other than that I know nothing) but Arcane is fucking incredible. Great story, great voice acting, great music and absolutely beautiful animation.

Yeah you need zero knowledge about the game to watch it. Honestly this may be the best thing I've watched all year.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yellowstone S4. First 10 minutes of ep1 is incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom