TV New Season!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Its a very long time since I read the books (40-odd years!) so I remember very little about them, but one thing that did surprise me...
Robots? I seem to remember Foundation very specifically didn't have robots and Asimov later brought them back in to the series to tie together his Robots stories - Caves of Steel and all that, with Foundation. I would have though having super long lived entities running about would fuck up your predictive models quite a bit
Interesting. I've not seen EP2 yet - but didn't notice them in EP1. Will clock that.

But you're right. No robots in the books. Very much humans and human interaction.

This is the sort of thing that worries me. Show runners generally don't have the intellect to spot these things and keep the "world rules" that the author has constructed in their head. Hence the ongoing Star Trek clusterfuck. Yet it's the galaxy and it's machinations that existed in Azimov's mind and he put down on page that is so compelling. And I really don't want them taking liberties with it.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Its a very long time since I read the books (40-odd years!) so I remember very little about them, but one thing that did surprise me...
Robots? I seem to remember Foundation very specifically didn't have robots and Asimov later brought them back in to the series to tie together his Robots stories - Caves of Steel and all that, with Foundation. I would have though having super long lived entities running about would fuck up your predictive models quite a bit

Well, and trust me it is a spoiler for those later books,

R. Daneel Olivaw, now the woman robot with the cloned Emperor, is who actually assisted (coerced) Seldon to develop physchohistory - the starting point was based on their positronic brain. The remaining robots have come up with a new zeroth law where they need to prevent humanity coming to harm which they essentially interpret as creating a new and better Galactic Empire. The robots can't fuck up the predictions - they are the ones supporting them. There's also a whole storyline line about a Galactic Gaia and lots of mumbo jumbo / mystical nonsense - those later books were a cash grab and best ignored where possible.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Well, and trust me it is a spoiler for those later books
I thought the quality dropped off massively after second foundation - so I do think I finished them, but don't really remember them. The original trilogy is where I think is good :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So, watched Episode 2.

Definitely spoilers.
Ooooof. It's gone massively downhill IMO. I guess they need a bit more intrigue and action for the TV but at least try to preserve the main storyline? They've obviously got loads of seasons they want to milk out of this because there's so little of the actual book in this episode. And so much unncessary fiddling. The fact Seldon was along, then he got fucking murdered by some bullshit adopted son? WTF were they smoking?

I guess it's "flavour of a fantasy of foundation" and if I'm going to enjoy it (because the O/H, who's not read the books at all, seems to be enjoying it) then I guess I'm going to have to square with that. For me, it looks a little like they're shitting on something good right now though.

We'll see I guess.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Well, and trust me it is a spoiler for those later books,

R. Daneel Olivaw, now the woman robot with the cloned Emperor, is who actually assisted (coerced) Seldon to develop physchohistory - the starting point was based on their positronic brain. The remaining robots have come up with a new zeroth law where they need to prevent humanity coming to harm which they essentially interpret as creating a new and better Galactic Empire. The robots can't fuck up the predictions - they are the ones supporting them. There's also a whole storyline line about a Galactic Gaia and lots of mumbo jumbo / mystical nonsense - those later books were a cash grab and best ignored where possible.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
@Scouse @Zarjazz - Watched the first 2 yesterday without even knowing they had source material. I did find the second episode MUCH slower than the first. Hoping it doesn't get worse as it feels like it could be a good show to watch if they go into the history a bit more.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Y - The Last Man. Looks (in theory) like a good Walking Dead replacement, but unfortunately with the exception of one character, I find everyone in it intensely annoying, especially the titular "Y", who I just want to slap. Maybe he'll stop being a total pathetic dickhead, but unfortunately I think that's just the character.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Y - The Last Man. Looks (in theory) like a good Walking Dead replacement, but unfortunately with the exception of one character, I find everyone in it intensely annoying, especially the titular "Y", who I just want to slap. Maybe he'll stop being a total pathetic dickhead, but unfortunately I think that's just the character.

I found it to be very underwhelming. Watched 3 episodes and not really keen to watch anymore.
Characters just seem dumb. I'm getting fed up with blatant stupidity in films/tv shows just to move the plot along.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
I found it to be very underwhelming. Watched 3 episodes and not really keen to watch anymore.
Characters just seem dumb. I'm getting fed up with blatant stupidity in films/tv shows just to move the plot along.

Similar feelings here. I read the showrunner wanted to concentrate on the female characters unlike the comics which focused on the titular guy, who I believe @DaGaffer does become less pathetic as the story progresses, and that she wanted to show women could be just as bad as men if they gained that much power. Well if by bad she meant boring and obnoxious then congratulations, she succeeded.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Maid on Netflix is pretty excellent.

I'm not crying, you are.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I've seen positive mentions of Squid Game here and there so I thought I'd give it a go. One episode in and I'm intrigued.

Taking turns I didn't predict but shaping up very nicely after Ep 2 (y)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Taking turns I didn't predict but shaping up very nicely after Ep 2 (y)
Ep 4/5:
The 3rd game is absolutely brutal... tug of war but each team is on top of a tower and the losing team gets dragged off and falls to their death (if the fall kills them).

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Just finished Squid Game, and whilst it's been fucking uncomfortable to watch at times (lot of Running Man vibes which traumatized the hell out of me when I watched it aged 8) it is very good.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Just finished Squid Game, and whilst it's been fucking uncomfortable to watch at times (lot of Running Man vibes which traumatized the hell out of me when I watched it aged 8) it is very good.

All of the games were good (although I still don't fully understand or see the point of squid game) but 3 (tug of war) and 4 (marbles) really stood out for me. Especially marbles; they all thought they were going in there to work as pairs and they suddenly all had to turn on each other. That was a proper "oh shit" moment. The glass walkway game was good too but I was surprised nobody tried to peg it along the beams supporting the panes, avoiding the glass altogether. Maybe they'd have been "eliminated" or maybe they'd have been applauded for ingenuity.

The ending was a bit weak (not sure what I was expecting or how it could have been improved but I still felt disappointed by it) but on the whole I loved it.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
All of the games were good (although I still don't fully understand or see the point of squid game) but 3 (tug of war) and 4 (marbles) really stood out for me. Especially marbles; they all thought they were going in there to work as pairs and they suddenly all had to turn on each other. That was a proper "oh shit" moment. The glass walkway game was good too but I was surprised nobody tried to peg it along the beams supporting the panes, avoiding the glass altogether. Maybe they'd have been "eliminated" or maybe they'd have been applauded for ingenuity.

The ending was a bit weak (not sure what I was expecting or how it could have been improved but I still felt disappointed by it) but on the whole I loved it.
Aye me and the wife looked at each other at the end with a look of "WTF just happened" - my best guess is 456 has decided to become the new old man and is going back to play for fun. Not the best ending but it does tee up Series 2 which has apparently already been commissioned. Agreed on the marbles game, that was the particularly uncomfortable bit. Overall I thought it was excellent though, sets for the games were properly well designed and liked the human element of it, even if that was the part that made the marbles game so uncomfortable.

Not quite as awesome as Ash vs Evil Dead or Happy!, but pretty damned good. Top 10 on Netflix easy I'd say.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Aye me and the wife looked at each other at the end with a look of "WTF just happened" - my best guess is 456 has decided to become the new old man and is going back to play for fun. Not the best ending but it does tee up Series 2 which has apparently already been commissioned. Agreed on the marbles game, that was the particularly uncomfortable bit. Overall I thought it was excellent though, sets for the games were properly well designed and liked the human element of it, even if that was the part that made the marbles game so uncomfortable.

Not quite as awesome as Ash vs Evil Dead or Happy!, but pretty damned good. Top 10 on Netflix easy I'd say.
I thought he was going to try and stop the game from ever happening again but I have no idea tbh. He seemed to hate everything about the whole ordeal once he got out, him wanting to go back in never occurred to me. It seems like they'll need a new protagonist for season 2 if that (astonishingly resourceful) detective didn't survive (and I definitely got the impression that some of the media he'd sent got through but I haven't been back to look again) and 456 could be that guy.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Watched Squid game. Was OK, not quite worth the hype but good enough.

Much of the basic story was pretty predictable though, the last 3 survivors, the identity of Front man etc, except for the very end with number 1 - Though I did note you didn't see him get offed, I thought to myself at the time it was because the actor was old, and they didn't want him to fall on the ground. The whole body parts shenanigans ended up being filler, they could have gone further with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom