TV New Season!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Either Netflix have thrown more money at it or the production department was given a kick up the arse because that looks to be a better quality production than the first season.
I didn't think the first season was low quality?

I think you needed to get 3 episodes under your belt before you got into it (it was shaping up shit at first IMO) but got a lot better and finished strong.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
First seasons major flaw was the wrinkly ballsack armor and seems theyve ditched that thankfully

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Disagree. That was a good thing - that you had to figure that bit out for yourself rather than be spoon fed it.

You think we binge watch content on Netflix because we want to decode a TV show's history? It was fine the second time, but a lot of people I know got lost because of it.

Watching it the second time was fine as we knew WTF was going on.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You think we binge watch content on Netflix because we want to decode a TV show's history? It was fine the second time, but a lot of people I know got lost because of it.
I guess you hated Memento and all the stories of it's ilk then?

It was a small amount of time-jumping that after episode 3 made sense. It wasn't a huge intellectual effort and added to the series IMO. Not everything should be totally easy take-your-brain-out and vegetate television. It would have been boring as a linear story (and, more importantly, I don't think the Witcher would have worked at all like that).

(BTW, you should definitely watch Memento if you haven't)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
It makes it a lot less accessible, missus was very confused, ive read books so recognised what was going on 🤷‍♂️

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It makes it a lot less accessible
So we should only make unchallenging films?

There were people who were confused by Inception. A not-too-deep action flick. There was not insignificant outcry over the layer-upon-layer theme confusing people.

To be clear: they can get fucked.

The problem is that audiences come in a huge range of capabilities. The answer is not to dumb down everything so everyone can follow it.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber

There were people who were confused by Inception. A not-too-deep action flick. There was not insignificant outcry over the layer-upon-layer theme confusing people.

The problem is that audiences come in a huge range of capabilities. The answer is not to dumb down everything so everyone can follow it.
The time-skipping thing isn't some core part of the story in The Witcher, it's just used to tell a story at different points in time and you shouldn't have to be "challenged" to keep up with it (it was one of the major complaints about the first season). Usually there are visual clues like different colour grading in past and present or obviously older characters (child in "the past" vs. adult "now"), obvious facial hair or something but I remember thinking it was a bit weird several times watching it. Being totally unfamiliar with the lore probably didn't help but that doesn't do anything for accessibility.

Memento is an odd comparison - it's literally scene-by-scene in reverse so the time mechanics are a massive part of what it is.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South

You think Netflix makes things like TW for TW fans? They make it so they can bring in money because it's a well established IP with a core fanbase, who they know will watch it regardless - That is not who they are making it for. They -have- to make it so non-TW (etc) fans can figure out WTF is actually going on and when. Adding "20 years previously" doesn't dumb things down, it sets a reference point for the viewer.

If you want your brand new shiny IP to be renewed for multiple seasons you need the people to praise it and say it was good and take their feedback into consideration. Not everyone over-analyses TV shows and cries that it's not "true to lore" (whatever) - TV is an escape, if you (global) want to watch something where you have to think: Go and find that.

Know who your audience are.

Edit: I'll add the movie to my list.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The time-skipping thing isn't some core part of the story in The Witcher, it's just used to tell a story at different points in time and you shouldn't have to be "challenged" to keep up with it (it was one of the major complaints about the first season). Usually there are visual clues like different colour grading in past and present or obviously older characters (child in "the past" vs. adult "now"), obvious facial hair or something but I remember thinking it was a bit weird several times watching it. Being totally unfamiliar with the lore probably didn't help but that doesn't do anything for accessibility.

Memento is an odd comparison - it's literally scene-by-scene in reverse so the time mechanics are a massive part of what it is.
Memento was just the thing that came to mind. :)

But the Witcher - I've no idea about the lore but like I said, it took about 3 episodes for it all to fall into place for me and I enjoyed that discovery. TV doesn't have to make sense for the beginning for me - the o/h was moaning a bit that she wasn't following it but then neither of us were. Then it all fell in to place and we enjoyed the way they'd done it.

Also - think of it chronologically - it wouldn't have worked. The characters in their arcs and the focus of the story (the witcher) wouldn't have made the sense that it needed to make. The story is the "present" - the history was presented. I think they wrapped it up nicely.

I don't need things signposting. I followed it easily. People have a tendency to moan when it doesn't make sense from the beginning. It makes them feel uncomfortable - so rather than sit and wait and trust that the storytellers know what they are doing and see how the story unfolds (in the Witchers' case, very clearly and nicely done IMO) - they moan.

I don't need things signposting. I'm glad they didn't :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You think Netflix makes things like TW for TW fans? They make it so they can bring in money because it's a well established IP with a core fanbase, who they know will watch it regardless - That is not who they are making it for. They -have- to make it so non-TW (etc) fans can figure out WTF is actually going on and when. Adding "20 years previously" doesn't dumb things down, it sets a reference point for the viewer.
I'm not a witcher fan. Never read the book. Had a blat at witcher 3 when it came out and thought it was "OK".

Really liked the series. Had no problems following it. And your points about IP being renewed - it was renewed and was hugely succesful.

So I don't see any problems other than some people didn't follow it. And maybe Netflix were making it for people like me - who's to say who Netflix makes the Witcher for? Frankly, there's not a lot on there that would make me pay for a sub - but the Witcher is one of those things.

I don't really care that some people didn't like one of the things I actively liked about it. There's always love island (or other programmes) instead ;)

But do watch Memento. It's great. :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
You don't actually need to maintain a netflix sub, there is so little actual quality content on there now that its only really worth subbing for a month here and there.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Weird that they announced it on the Grand Tour twitter page.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Weird that they announced it on the Grand Tour twitter page.
It was on Clarkson's and Amazon Prime twitter pages. I just happened to have The Grand Tour one open at the time.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I will always think Clarkson is a complete bell, but I have to say I did enjoy that Farm series. Will definitely watch a second series.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Honestly inject Better Call Saul into my veins. What a show.
It's incredible, I never thought it would come close to Breaking Bad but it does and even surpasses it in some ways.

Anyway:

m68uexk1nee71.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom