TV New Season!

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Excuse me guys - can we focus on new tv series here please??
I saw you post and couldn't help but think that Slow Horses has returned... not sure why ;)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Just finished the first season of Severance. One of the best science fiction shows I've seen in years. Every episode makes you instantly want to start the next one. So many questions, not enough answers. And utterly beautiful cinematography, amazing acting, just perfect all over. And an absolutely outstanding cliffhanger at the end.

Seriously, watch it. You won't regret it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEQP4VVuyrY

This was a fucking great call @Tom :)

Really fucking great :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Anyone watching S2 of Rings of Power, or have we all collectively decided it was a giant pile of wank?

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Anyone watching S2 of Rings of Power, or have we all collectively decided it was a giant pile of wank?
I think I dropped it after two episodes of season 1 having already coming to the same conclusion. You would have thought with the amount of money they spent on the series they would have hired better writers, and ones that understood the source material.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South

Glad that wasn't just me and the wife who thought that. First two episodes (S2) were okay. Mid way through E3 we were both on our phones literally watching YouTube videos.

The Perfect Couple - A "who dun it" show. Really good till the last 2 episodes. But worth the watch.
Selling Sunset (S8) - Women and expensive houses. Top tier trash TV.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I think I dropped it after two episodes of season 1 having already coming to the same conclusion. You would have thought with the amount of money they spent on the series they would have hired better writers, and ones that understood the source material.
I know I'm not allowed to use the term around here - but it was fully-peak woke.

When you add that to absolutely no deference to or even basic understanding of the source material, I was hoping it would quickly die. But maybe that they'd at least sack all the writers and showrunners and make a real good fist of turning it around for S2. Hey ho.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Why woke though and not just shit?

I also only got a few episodes in before I got bored, how do you make someone as awesome as Elrond dull 😑

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
I know I'm not allowed to use the term around here - but it was fully-peak woke.
In this particular case I agree with you. Instead of for narrative reasons, or choosing the best actor for a role, instead it felt like they were ticking boxes to fill some HR quotas.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Why woke though and not just shit?
I mean lots of very very good reasons. I was going to write a really long post, but if you haven't grasped why now, you never will.

But its real and is a reasonable accusation. Other shows do much better.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Well the whole woke accusations piss me off just call a spade a spade, it was shit and the cast was poor

If there's no evidence they actually tried to fill some HR quota then it's 99% of the time just assholes projecting their own insecurities in my personal experience at least

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Well the whole woke accusations piss me off just call a spade a spade, it was shit and the cast was poor

If there's no evidence they actually tried to fill some HR quota then it's 99% of the time just assholes projecting their own insecurities in my personal experience at least
100% bullshit. I really don't have any insecurites about black or brown people, especially given where I chose to live for half of my life and who I hang about with :)

If they gave even a single shit about the source material, it's intended geography, it's lore, it wouldn't have cast it the way it cast. It was shit on a billion different levels - plot holes, dialogue, dramatic tension etc. etc. - but it's casting and ethos was woke.

Game of Thrones did it extremely well. RoP was woke. - and to define woke for you in this case so there's no wiggle-room: deliberately and hugely inappropriately 'diverse' (in multiple ways) that massively detracted from the end product.

That's very separate from the other ways it was shit. It was made by people who always had one eye on an ideological agenda, rather than people who were lazer-focussed on making the best show they could make.

Shit and woke.

I love Tolkein's work so much I was hoping that S2 would have gone a long way to fix the issues because despite retching and laughing at the shitness all the way through S1, I was still willing to give S2 a go.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I dunno, I think if it was made without it being Tolkien, not in the midst of a 'culture war' and not having loads of hype with $1bn budget it'd be good, look at other series at a 6.9 rating on IMDB they're *actually* way worse than RoP.

I do find it weird that Amazon decided to pick up something as big as Tolkien and fuck about with it, they could have created their own world for the same amount they paid off the Tolkien estate.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I dunno, I think if it was made without it being Tolkien
This is the biggie - this is why it falls foul, rightly, of being not just shit, but woke shit.

They decided to fuck about with an established world - one that is celebrated globally - and for what? To satisfy an ideology. It's the very definition of woke.

And for the rest:

in the midst of a 'culture war' and not having loads of hype with $1bn budget it'd be good, look at other series at a 6.9 rating on IMDB they're *actually* way worse than RoP
It's objectively shit IMO. I wouldn't have given S1 6.9 even without the other stuff. It's overly portentous, wooden and there are some glaringly basic issues that it can only be that the showrunners must have ignored them and pressed on anyway.

Remember when they were all holed up in that tower, big army in front of them. They'd gone there to force the army to fight them on a narrow bridge? And then - they decided to "leave" - and went back past the army to the village they just left. How? The entire point of going to the tower was to narrow the path!

It was chock full of that shit from scene to scene. I'd have given it 5 for visuals. But not for costumes - they fucked up the lore so badly. Galadrial as warrior-elf? Wearing the armour she's wearing? Had they even read the books?

they could have created their own world for the same amount they paid off the Tolkien estate.
This we wholeheartedly agree on :)

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin

They're mostly all pretty shit, but you can't tell me that RoP is anywhere near as good as Presumed Innocent. Captain America or Top Gun :)

Films usually have a higher rating than tv series I find so it's not a fair comparison.

Snowpiercer is the same rating, I have a soft spot for post apocalyptic stuff so I watched it, but it's no where nearly as good as RoP.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

I gave season two a couple of episodes just to see what they do with Sauron and then lost interest. The casting is irritating but I ignore it, but I can't ignore boring.

Binged watched Kaos the other day and absolutely loved it. Hope there's a season 2.

georgie

FH is my second home
I rather enjoyed the first season. Haven't done anything about the second season yet, I'll get round to it at some point.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
S02 is turning out better than S1 so far. But not substantially so. EP3 was indeed a yawnfest.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
BBC - The Nightsleeper.

Interesting watch, enough for me to put my phone down. Will continue every week as something somewhat stupid to watch.

However: DO NOT point out the massive fucking flaws in the writing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom