TV New Season!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So what was an example of forced diversity in discovery?
Ignoring the carefully on-target ethnic makeup (which bothers me not one jot). Lets talk about the fattie eh? Body positivity much? Lots of complaints in the "modern" era to the producers and directors of new so-called Star Trek complaining about the total lack of fat people.

So they started wanging fatties in. Despite the fact that in Rodenberry's utopian future there wouldn't be any fat people - we are all the 'best' version of ourselves. And that includes a very healthy diet and exercise. Not the curing of type-2 diabetes by drugs and a binge-eat as much as you like culture :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'll let one of "them" explain:

I don't mind about trans representation in Star Trek. At least they're trying. Although maybe in the future you'd have hoped that 300 years into the future we'd have sorted out body dysmorphia issues.

It's representation to make people feel good about themselves, that doesn't serve the world, that I object to.

Also what I hate (about TV in general nowadays) is the fact that sexual and ethnic makeup is very carefully curated. Rather than just some made up characters being fucking interesting there's a 'woke' balance. The sort of woke balance that means that the BBC will never again commission Monty Python because: men.

Fuck identity politics. Fuck it in the ear :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's the Michael Burnham show. The rest of the crew don't matter. We don't remember their names, we don't care where they come from, and therefore we don't care when something happens to them. Like that doctor, whose name I don't recall, who goes through something traumatic and I'm supposed to care but I don't because the show doesn't let us know a damn thing about him. The series finale is the same - lots of lovely shots of a wonderful crew, except nobody has a fucking clue who they are because the entire series is about one person.

Strange New Worlds is awesome. The musical episode is hilarious and brilliant.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylECsdgDWMQ&list=PLmqm8h_E1_2AxzhGSJ-vl4yXjNId6LU79

View: https://youtu.be/ri7v-utIcvY

View: https://youtu.be/5SHhySoXDcA

View: https://youtu.be/cn4fW0EInqw

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
They had a man in a skirt on the very first episode of Next generation.

...and as for that trans dude/lady/whatever that is covered in the whole symbiont thing.

Anyway, if you can't define "woke" then don't use it.

Bottom line, most people consider the show pretty crap, myself included. Subjective / objective reasons aside.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Bottom line, most people consider the show pretty crap, myself included. Subjective / objective reasons aside.
Honestly, it comes down to "name the crew". Most can't because the world building was shit.

I recognise the name of that stupid cat of Bookers more readily.

Also, there isn't anything Trek they didn't try to fuck with. Furthest in the past, check. Klingons, check. Mirror universe, check. Spock, check. Furthest in the future, check. Destroy the federation, check. Destroy warp travel (like actually, because the spore drive alone wasn't enough), check. Unmask the Breen, check. Throwaway shit TNG storyline is dragged back up and made out to be the most important piece of Trek ever written, check.

This is before Burnham effectively being god like in all things.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Has anyone got a copy of Ashes to Ashes? (Fire up the Quattro etc.) My missus just watched Life on Mars for the first time and now she's desperate for more Gene Hunt (who wouldn't be?), and Amazon have geoblocked it so I can't buy it in Ireland. None of the usual other places (arrr...) either.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Has anyone got a copy of Ashes to Ashes? (Fire up the Quattro etc.) My missus just watched Life on Mars for the first time and now she's desperate for more Gene Hunt (who wouldn't be?), and Amazon have geoblocked it so I can't buy it in Ireland. None of the usual other places (arrr...) either.
I'll have a nosey about mate

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Can you VPN to uk for Iplayer?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
BBC play whack-a-mole with VPNs religiously. iPlayer is basically a non-starter outside the UK.

It's OK, @caLLous has sorted me something out.
That's weird, iPlayer is rock solid for me through a (paid) VPN. I've got two Fire TV devices (a Cube and a Stick) connecting through a VPN'd VLAN (Mullvad) and it's always fine. The beeb also works with a VPN app installed directly on the device, as I've helped people down here set that up several times. ITVX and Channel 4, on the other hand, are a nightmare on the Fire devices (Channel 4 in particular just flat-out doesn't work, constantly throwing geoblock error messages). On a PC, with the VPN's desktop app (Mullvad or ExpressVPN) connected, they all work flawlessly.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
C4 is no problem here, but BBC and ITVx are non-starters. I've tried paid VPNs as well.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yeah, we all say that.
Starting keto up again on 16th September :)

Will see if we can make the long-term changes required to ensure that we don't pile it all back on again oprah-winfrey style once we've lost it.

I'm very much looking forward to climbing up hills on my mountain bike without the feeling that I'm carrying an firkin of ale on my back. :eek:

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Starting keto up again on 16th September :)

Will see if we can make the long-term changes required to ensure that we don't pile it all back on again oprah-winfrey style once we've lost it.

I'm very much looking forward to climbing up hills on my mountain bike without the feeling that I'm carrying an firkin of ale on my back. :eek:

I think keto is over-rated. Personally, I find minor adjustments with diet work better (and faster, surprisingly) - nothing dramatic, just watch the fat intake (low fat cheese, cream, etc), cut on fried anything - grill is fine, maybe increase the greens.

I shed 10kg just doing that.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I think keto is over-rated. Personally, I find minor adjustments with diet work better (and faster, surprisingly) - nothing dramatic, just watch the fat intake (low fat cheese, cream, etc), cut on fried anything - grill is fine, maybe increase the greens.

I shed 10kg just doing that.
I don't eat a lot of cheese (when I'm ketoing I eat more avocados than any other man alive) but I wouldn't eat low-fat cheese if someone paid me - ultraprocessed crap you see :)

But whatever works eh? Keto helps me to shed weight really quickly because A) it's restrictive, but (importantly for me), B) it stops me feeling hungry - so I'm never tempted to snack.

My problem is that it's really difficult to get fiber into your diet on keto (and it's pretty hard anyway). But I couldn't up the veggies anyway - I eat a fuckton :)

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Excuse me guys - can we focus on new tv series here please??

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom