TV New Season!

Discussion in 'The Front Room' started by dysfunction, Sep 25, 2009.

1. old.Osy

old.Osy No longer scrounging, still a bastard.

I've found a new guilty pleasure in watching Family Guy. Slapstick mostly, but man some jokes hit deep.

2. Moriath

Moriath I am a FH squatter

Was good late night on 2. Not now

3. Job

Job The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse

The new Britbox streaming service from the bbc.

As, expected ever single past program that doesnt fit modern social values...invented by twatter...is excluded.

Go fuck yourselves bbc, I can get it all online.
    Well maybe not the black and white minstrel show.

Edit..ha, you can .
    Including this gem from the Two Ronnies.

View: https://youtu.be/32ePC-uVKFI

Holy fuck..its just so fucking awful..just why..why?

View: https://youtu.be/DJqqoWqD3jQ

4. Yoni

Yoni Cockb@dger / Klotehommel

Jack Ryan 2 was oki
    We really enjoyed carnival row (for those of you who like fantasy)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. caLLous

caLLous I am a FH squatter

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Jupitus

Jupitus Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy! Staff member Moderator FH Subscriber

This one is great too, IMHO :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. caLLous

Last week's was as well. There was a lot of concern that it was going to "do a Lost" and leave a load of questions unanswered but these past 3 or 4 episodes have been the best I remember it being (especially episode 7, which *still* has a 10/10 rating on IMDb with nearly 10k votes).

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Scouse

Scouse HERO! FH Subscriber

What are we thinking about The Mandalorian then?

There's some bits I quite like but it's far from wow tbh. After the last episode it felt like a shit version of stargate.

I think Star Wars is hung up on itself - the need to in-joke and acknowledge everything instead of cutting loose. And yet baby yodas who can summon the force with no training (whaaa?) ?

Still. Watchable pap I guess.

9. DaGaffer

DaGaffer Down With That Sorta Thing

It is watchable, despite the fact that every episode feels oddly insubstantial. I also feel I'm missing stuff because I'm not a Star Wars nerd.

Anyhow, am I the only one watching Watchmen? Because frankly its amazing. I expected it to be awful and I've been flat out wrong so far, and every episode is better than the last. Now, its Damon Lindelof, so on previous form its entirely possible he'll completely fuck up the ending, but so far it's one of the best things I've seen all year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. dysfunction

dysfunction FH is my second home

Yes really enjoying The Watchman. It's been excellent so far.

Agree with your opinion on The Mandalorian.
    I'm happy to watch it but it does seem flat somehow

11. Scouse

Looked at that last night and heard the o/h in the back of my mind going "fuck no". But on the strength of that I'll be setting sail this evening ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Gwadien

Gwadien Uneducated Northern Cretin

I think the Mandalorian is pretty good.

I just hope it returns to the plot some times soon, rather than flying onto a planet, helping some people, then flying off each episode.

13. Hawkwind

Hawkwind FH is my second home FH Subscriber

Pretty standard US/Canadian SciFi show, lessons in how to keep a short story going for 5 seasons.

14. Scouse

Just watched Seamen - the Grand Tour thing. It was pretty good - up until a certain bar (they sat in my seat :eek:) it was exactly my holidsy in Cambodia in travel terms :)

Edit:
    @Job would literally explode if he watched it though - because of a flag Clarkson was flying which was regularly prominently featured ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. dysfunction

The Expanse is back - Season 4!

• Like Like x 2
  16. DaGaffer

The flag amused me greatly. I actually felt sorry for them at the end, I've been out in a small boat in seas like that and its teeth-shatteringly uncomfortable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Moriath

It was a good program. The flag was funny. It had a considered message as well as hooning around. And some nice history bits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. caLLous

19. DaGaffer

Hmm, The Mr Nancy character went from pretty much the most interesting character in season 1 to "angry black man ranting at the camera" in season 2, now we know why. My instinct is that most of the American audience (overwhelmingly white, Neil Gaiman fans who grew up reading Sandman) were probably switching off in droves, although I'd bet mainly because of the increasingly incoherent plot, and focus groups showed they had a limited tolerance for repeated lectures from Orlando Jones (no matter how "woke" you are, getting told you're the root of all evil all the time isn't what you want from your escapist fantasy) so out he goes, because that's much easier than fixing the writing.

Personally I enjoyed the Mad Sweeney bits in S2 and thought the rest was gash. I struggled to get through it.

20. Yoni

I absolutely loved Mad Sweeney in S2, Ill watch S3 as I want to see how it wraps up (hate unfinished stories even if they go through a shite phase).

I absolutely want the next season of Sabrina (late Jan) and Carnival Row prolly next autumn winter) to hurry the fuck up.......

21. old.Osy

old.Osy No longer scrounging, still a bastard.

So I watched The Expanse S4 in one sitting. And I'm angry.

Acting disappoints for secondary characters (yes, even Murtry), the writing is all over the place, in-congruent mess of a plot. The books are brim full of sub-plots they could have exploited, but no, let's give our incompetent writers full reign. At least the CGI was good.

Bobbie's stream feels lackluster, under-developed and is just a filler, no impact on the rest of the action. The Ilus plot is dragged un-necessarily and reminds me of bad Dark Matter episodes in writing and execution.

I wanted this to be good, and I wasn't expecting they would fail so badly at it. Here's hoping the fans that actually read the books will chip in and provide feedback to the team, for if they fuck up S5 aswell, it would be such a pity.

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. dysfunction

I really enjoyed it. Perhaps not as good as previous seasons but still fun to watch
    Ive not read the books so have nothing to compare it to.

23. Moriath

Disliking the mental health and abuse extras added into bbc1s adaptation of christmas carol.

bring back alistair sim. Or scrooged tbh.

24. Scouse

Alaistair Sim being in the best version.

If you don't count the Muppets, ofc ;)

• Like Like x 1
  25. Yoni

Muppets is the only
    Version no? oO :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. Zarjazz

Zarjazz Unemployed Bum Travelling The World.

Well the final episode of Mr Robot was pretty damn good. I'd have a hard to choosing between this season or the first as the shows best.

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. caLLous

Season 4 for me. Every episode bar maybe 1 or 2 was absolutely first class.

28. dysfunction

Lost in Space Season 2 starts today

29. DaGaffer

Blackadder version is the best version, if only for the line "So: one way, it's glory everlasting; the other, it's wearing Baldrick's posing pouch!"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  30. Scouse

First season was so gash that I don't even think the o/h, who spooges about anything vaguely spacey, would want to watch it.

She's sat next to me. Let me ask...

...ah. "yeah, probably. It's space, man. Love space." :(