TV New Season!

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
The Vietnam War.

Super long documentary series about the Vietnam War but very interesting.

Highly recommended, it's on the Beeb.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The Vietnam War.

Super long documentary series about the Vietnam War but very interesting.

Highly recommended, it's on the Beeb.

I've been watching it on the PBS website (needs a VPN) because iPlayer is almost impossible to get working in Ireland these days. Its very similar in style to Ken Burns' Civil War series (which is over 20 years old at this point) and can be found on Netflix.
Watch Full Episodes Online of The Vietnam War | Explicit Language Version on PBS

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
So what did I think of the first two episodes?
Very pretty. Thought the set dressing and costumes were cool. Liked the main character being called a blokes name. Liked the Klingons (not particularly their voices - so much makeup I found them flat - but visually arresting). Bits of it reminded me of playing Elite, so that's something.

However, war? Battles? Where's the high-minded-ness? It's called Star Trek Discovery, not Total War: Star Trek. I was disappointed in Ep1. when she said "what does the soldier in you think?" - which would be kind of abhorrent to the original Rodenberry ideas and etho (though in the second episode they did say "we're not soldiers" so meh).

The action was flat tbh. So they even got that wrong. Didn't feel the peril. Wasn't particularly engaging or tense, more of a "this shit happened next". If this was two episodes of shock and awe to make us think what follows is unmissable it's more like the damp pack of "standard" fireworks that fails to go off.

The Klingons were reduced culturally to a load of people like Job. Basically petty minded racists. I guess the writers were trying to draw parallels with current American cultural issues but it kinda felt shallow. Their ship was a like a multi-coloured UKIP convention.

If what you guys said above that this is just a prologue to something more interesting then maybe it'll work. But just left feeling very ambivalent. It's like nobody went "hey, didn't Stargate Universe try this shit and fail?"...

Star Trek worked because it essentially had a vision of hope and peaceful exploration (that always went wrong, but at least they tried). This is just the militarisation of Trek for me.

Anyway. $0.02...
I thought they used up every single Trek set piece in one two part episode, they're going to have to do some serious work in the upcoming episodes to prove they're not just re-hashing all the plots we've seen before.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I thought they used up every single Trek set piece in one two part episode, they're going to have to do some serious work in the upcoming episodes to prove they're not just re-hashing all the plots we've seen before.
Was talking about it today with a mate who always hated Trek but is so starved of science fiction he's given it a go.

The TLDR is that I've been to the pub and am too tipsy to make sense and will give a bigger answer when I'm sober but the gist of it is this: I want it to be great. But to be great it has to be written (not directed, filmed or acted) by someone who gives a shit about science fiction and the ethos of star trek. If you don't then you're transparent...

Fucking. Magic. Sarek.
:(

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Well we have seen discovery and exploration, non stop for years. 3 to 4 shows (I don't really count enterprise as a thing, mind bleach and all that) that were literally based entirely on the subject. Voyager changed it up a bit with the whole Borg story arc. DS9 was a soap, pretty much, until he Dominion rolled up but it was too late by then. Original Star Trek and next gen were pretty much purely exploration.

I am hoping for a bit of a darker Trek, cold war and conflict with the Klingons, which is a pretty big part of the Star Trek story.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
The Orville continues to be great.
Ep 4 was solid, and Liam Neeson shows up as well.

Honestly, eps 3/4 are classic trek eps that could've been pulled straight from TNG archives. ( minus the added dick jokes ).

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The Orville continues to be great.
Ep 4 was solid, and Liam Neeson shows up as well.

Honestly, eps 3/4 are classic trek eps that could've been pulled straight from TNG archives. ( minus the added dick jokes ).

Episode 4 was terrible.
You wouldn't just "open the roof". Can you imagine the psychological damage?" It was utterly stupid.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I mentioned Orville during a middle class ..full of doctors and consultants birthday party last night..they were duscussing Dr Foster..I just carried it through, giving s breathless critique of Seth and his many talents, Family Guy..he does all the voices you know.
Not a single person in the room had seen Family Guy..
They didnt know who Seth was..then the sons and daughters turned up with perfect timing...they got it and I reigned for 5 mins.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Family guy is OK. Some genuinely funny bits. But it's very formulaic IMO so wears thin quickly.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Family Guy was ok, they've been dialing it in for ages. American Dad is still good, though.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Designated survivor has started up again. Felt like 1 season worked, not sure on a second but will see.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Two navy seal team series started in the same week - The Brave and the imaginatively named Seal Team. Watched both and they pretty much had the same story line. The Brave was the better of the two if you like this sorta thing.

Other new starter which was actually not bad at all - Absentia, first episode was pretty good but just know they will spoil it.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
From the premise (a spin-off from a show that's already been going about 4 seasons too long), it sounds awful but people have said good things about the pilot.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
It had some laugh out loud moments, whether they can keep it up is another thing.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Great episode. Commander Landry makes my balls twitch.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
If you haven't seen it yet, Startup S2 has now been released on Amazon... I highly recommend it (y)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
A lot of people are saying good things (really really good things) about the latest season of Fear the Walking Dead. I haven't bothered starting it yet, looks like I need to catch up.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
If that's the case then its a shame you have to sit through 2 seasons of absolute garbage then.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Really @caLLous? I got so bored in season 2, I think, that I simply stopped dead, which I rarely do.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I know, I was surprised too. The last few episodes especially have had great things said about them. I made it to the end of season 2 (moaning like a cheap whore all the way) and noticed that season 3 had started airing but couldn't be arsed to watch it.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Looks like the following start again this week if anyone watches these:

Super Girl S3
The Flash S4
Mr Robot S3
Dirk Gently S2

Other things starting again this month:

Travelers S2
Stranger Things S2
Blindspot S3
Zapped S2

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Finally got around to watching The Expanse season 2 and I rather enjoyed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom