New S.T.A.L.K.E.R Demo

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
I agree it was a bit jerky, maybe something to do with the conversion for da web?

There were a couple of things I didn't like about it as well. The skins on the models seemed a little stretched out? (maybe my eyes!?) Also the animation of the guy that falls over when shot next to the barrel / fire is less than impressive, he sort of just flops.

But...

Those issues aside this is a nice snippet of what to expect bearing in mind it isn't the finished product. I anticipate a lot from this title, let's hope it doesn't go all Pete Tong at the last minute eh :D

moomin

Fledgling Freddie
I'm hoping it's the FPS equivalent to morrowind

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
that did look pretty sweet, however I hope it will get a decent storyline, otherwise, it will fall into the catogery of FPS games with nice gfx, but no new gameplay elements etc :/ We've had far too many of those.

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
The story so far is pretty cool I think ;) What makes this game really special is not only it's depth of gameplay and design but the unique way in which some (numbers I couldn't tell you?) of the development team actually lived near Chernobyl itself, so a real connection with the art form, if you see what I mean? I also liked in the early stages seeing the lengths the team went to research the project.

The actual story is influenced by an old Russian science fiction book,

S.T.A.L.K.E.R draws mainly from the book Roadside Picnic written by Arkady Strugatsky & Boris Strugatsky. In Roadside Picnic, Red Schuhart is a 'stalker', a veteran scavenger and black market dealer of the bizarre technological wonders to be found in the zones.

These areas where the physics of matter are warped in mysterious and dangerous ways, are thought to be the trash piles of aliens who dropped by for a picnic and didn't clean up after themselves. Schuhart lives a criminal/outsider's life in the frontier city near the zone trying to support his wife and strangely mutated child.

After imprisonment for trafficking in looted alien products, Schuhart agrees to one last expedition to the very heart of the zone where resides a Holy Grail-like sphere, capable of granting any wish to the one who reaches it.

Roadside Picnic then influenced the 1979 film Stalker. In the film a meteorite fell to earth and decimated a provincial Russian town, villagers whp travel through this curious area disappear and stories purport that there is an inner chamber within the zone that grants one's deepest wish.

The desperate and the suffering continue to make the treacherous journey in search of the chamber, led by a disciplined, experienced stalker who can stealthily navigate through the constantly changing traps and pitfalls of the zone. Some who ventured into the zone have returned alone and infinitely wealthy, only to commit suicide a week later. Soon, it is evident that reaching there is not their greatest impediment, but the uncertainty over their deepest wish.

A successful Writer, perhaps searching for inspiration or adventure or a scientist searching for the truth, all enlist the stalker to guide them through the zone.

In the zone, nothing is what it seems. Objects change places, the landscape shifts and rearranges itself, it seems as if an unknown intelligence were actively thwarting any attempt to penetrate its borders.

Talk about original! Can't wait! :flame:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R Jolt UK

I hope Jolt will be running servers for this in the UK ;)

00mal0r

Hmm... looks good. Wonder what the system specs'll be like? Anyone know? /drools

Yaka

Part of the furniture
been waiting for this a while, seems they made some big changes from the leaked beta from a couple of years back

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
I fumbled through the official FAQ at OL and came up with this :

Q: What are the system requirements of the game?
A: A touchy issue. System requirements have been changed several times. In the end, the support of video cards of the generation of GeForce2 was cancelled. Now, the minimum requirements are GeForce3/Radeon8500 and P3-1GHz. It will be possible to comfortably play on a P4 with half a gig of RAM, and a video card from the middle of the range of GeForceFX or Radeon 9xxx. The maximum appetite of the engine tends towards infinity.

http://www.stalker-game.com/index.php?t=game&s=gameplay&ss=faq#104

Saw this over at OL. If you are interested in STALKER as a fan and want to bid on a little memorabilia check this Ebay auction out here. ME wants :m00:

weevil

Fledgling Freddie
S.T.A.L.K.E.R release date = when the 4 horsemen show themselves

SiD

Fledgling Freddie
It's a nice plot concept ... I can't say I like the look of the game much though.

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
The plot is like nothing else I have ever seen I agree, this is what attracted me to the game in the first place. Russian Science Fiction based around a real life event and a novel, you don't very often see that in a FPS.

I'm still holding on hoping it does manage to deliver the goods. It has a lot going for it, we'll wait and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom