Film Netflix?

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
tbh I've been impressed with the on demand stuff that you get from BT Vision.

There's a box office thingy of new stuff thats updated weekly (most films cost about 3 quid, or 4 quid for HD) and then they have a Sony, Warner, 4od and a couple of other channels that show loads of old - fairly new stuff.

I've watched Scarface, Brewsters Millions and a few other classics this weekend as ive had time to kill.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
It's just rubbish, they have 5 films with Johnny Depp in out of the 50+ he has made, same for Al Pacino. The ones they do have aren't even the best work. Awful.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I've had Netflix for the last 3 years in the US, both the DVD delivery service and the streaming service and at least here in the states, it's well worth it. I think I see maybe 6 -10 movies a month, though I haven't watched any TV shows in a while.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I've had Netflix for the last 3 years in the US, both the DVD delivery service and the streaming service and at least here in the states, it's well worth it. I think I see maybe 6 -10 movies a month, though I haven't watched any TV shows in a while.

You get a larger variety of stuff I believe, even anime :(

opticle

Part of the furniture
Signed up for the free thing yesterday, watched the only movie I could find that I wanted to watch, cancelled it today.

Similarly went to HMV yesterday to pick up a BluRay of a recently released, blockbuster movie.. They didn't have it. Neither did the other store I visited the day before. They did have all kinds of other crap though that some very odd characters might consider buying.

This is the reason businesses fail and internet piracy is so large - businesses failing to provide the service people want.

It was the same with Game when I stopped shopping there - though I suppose that's different as they ditched the PC market.

I would really fucking love a decent on-demand streaming service :( Why is it so hard? (silly question, it must be)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'd assume cost. Like most things these days the price point has to be circa £10 a month or the masses won't sniff at it.

An entire series of House is £46 on iTunes and you have to wonder what the studios get and what Apple take, etc.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Netflix content will come. The US version has a strong catalogue, but its taken years to get there. Biggest problem is simply the time it takes in Europe to do all the rights negotiation (life would be much simpler if there was a pan-European licencing model), rather than the unit cost of the content itself. In the meantime Netflix is in good shape from a technical perspective (streaming quality is good, site sign-up and UI are good, and they've nailed distribution; its available on FAR more platforms than Sky or LoveFilm), and their price point is reasonable assuming the catalogue improves to US levels.

I also expect LoveFilm to improve significantly over the next 12 months as Amazon gear up for a a release of Kindle Fire in Europe and a big content push over here. I wouldn't be surprised of LoveFilm gets rebranded (or even replaced) as Amazon Prime.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Meh. I will go back to pirating until they sort their shit out. Their dicking about is not my problem.

DaGaffer

Meh. I will go back to pirating until they sort their shit out. Their dicking about is not my problem.

Oh, don't get me wrong, none of this is the consumer's problem; but I think the landscape will start to look different quite soon.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I hope so, I like the convenience of it and the picture/sound quality is pretty good of what they do have.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Signed up for the free thing yesterday, watched the only movie I could find that I wanted to watch, cancelled it today.

Similarly went to HMV yesterday to pick up a BluRay of a recently released, blockbuster movie.. They didn't have it. Neither did the other store I visited the day before. They did have all kinds of other crap though that some very odd characters might consider buying.

This is the reason businesses fail and internet piracy is so large - businesses failing to provide the service people want.

It was the same with Game when I stopped shopping there - though I suppose that's different as they ditched the PC market.

I would really fucking love a decent on-demand streaming service :( Why is it so hard? (silly question, it must be)

Many HMVs don't even bother selling music DVDs/Blu Rays at all, numerous branches with no section at all. When I did find one that stocked what I wanted, it was £10 more than online.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Bump, signed up for another months trial. It's certainly improved a lot, still quite away from replacing "other websites" but getting there.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Me and the wife decided to get Netflix instead of a sky subscription at our new place. The variety is still lacking but sky is a lot more expensive for what is really just a lot of repeats, most of which are on Netflix.

The most illogical part is still that things you expect to be there just aren't. My most recent example is the bond films are nowhere to be found. To us though the price difference and the original content are worth it and if we get bored we can just add lovefilm and still be paying less than a sky subscription.

DaGaffer

Me and the wife decided to get Netflix instead of a sky subscription at our new place. The variety is still lacking but sky is a lot more expensive for what is really just a lot of repeats, most of which are on Netflix.

The most illogical part is still that things you expect to be there just aren't. My most recent example is the bond films are nowhere to be found. To us though the price difference and the original content are worth it and if we get bored we can just add lovefilm and still be paying less than a sky subscription.

Go to *cough* the US version for Bond movies...

megadave

I am a FH squatter
I spend more time looking for something to watch than actually watching.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
I use it every day. I love the docus and the odd good film.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I saw a good Louis Theroux doc about crystal meth use on it last night. One of the users looked and sounded just like George Bush. Coincidence? I think not.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Were satisfied to see Netflix has a few seasons of Spongebob Squarepants in Swedish. Absolute highlight. That is about it.

Nate

FH is my second home
Just needs more, needs to be like a shop where you can get anything. Don't really understand why it isn't all there :(

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Mostly rights issues. The industry is still stuck in the 80s regardless of fancy packages like Netflix etc.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Just needs more, needs to be like a shop where you can get anything. Don't really understand why it isn't all there :(

Exactly. All the stuff there you could easily get your hands on via torrents.. :eek:

DaGaffer

Because Netflix is a flat subscription "all you can eat" model, so the amount rights holders get is actually quite small. Some studios flat out refuse to work with Netflix (e.g. HBO, except when its a co-production) because they want to push their own services, and in the UK Netflix can't always have things because there are already local syndication deals in place, this is particularly true for anything that's been on Sky. You see exactly the same issues with Spotify etc. You'll never get a model with everything in it.

Having said that, the American version has a very good catalogue now and the UK will get better and better. It definitely crossed the line into "worth the money" territory for me now, for the kids' content if nothing else.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
The UK Netflix has a few things the US one doesn't, but I use a mixture of the 2 to get my monies worth.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Can I use my UK sub on the US one or is it a case of getting a separate sub?

DaGaffer

Can I use my UK sub on the US one or is it a case of getting a separate sub?

You can use your UK sub. Netflix doesn't seem to care. Not sure how long it will be before they close that loophole though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom