Nerdy Awesome shit you bought!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Still an 8-week delay. :( Is that how long you had to wait @Ono? I just set my wheels/pedals and Rift up on the new PC for the first time and tooled around in Euro Truck Simulator 2 for a couple of hours, the difference between the Fury X (old PC) and the 5700 XT (new PC) makes me think that the Rift is actually better than I gave it credit for but I just know the Index is better in every way.

Ono

Part of the furniture
@caLLous - Was about 10 weeks from order to arriving. I know they are doing it on a first order first serve basis.

Once the order was confirmed and paid for it shipped within 3 days from Holland though!

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Needed a new toy. Brought a Quest. Found it in stock and it arrives on Tuesday. Not bad for £399+games I want.

Wireless is more important to me right now as I don't feel like chugging my PC to the spare room. I'll buy a proper one when I build a new machine next year/2022.

This should be fun.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Needed a new toy. Brought a Quest. Found it in stock and it arrives on Tuesday. Not bad for £399+games I want.

Wireless is more important to me right now as I don't feel like chugging my PC to the spare room. I'll buy a proper one when I build a new machine next year/2022.

This should be fun.
Got my wife a quest and she loves it

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Z6 arrived and it is astounding - quick photo out of the box

Attachments

• A5C84597-CB69-483C-87C4-1B9670E3228A.jpeg
    A5C84597-CB69-483C-87C4-1B9670E3228A.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 11

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Apologies for mini-thread-jack, but it's mine and the wife's anniversary tomorrow, and she's just announced she'd like a tripod for her Canon EOS-4000D. Any suggestions for one which will fit that and a smartphone as well, ideally?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Apologies for mini-thread-jack, but it's mine and the wife's anniversary tomorrow, and she's just announced she'd like a tripod for her Canon EOS-4000D. Any suggestions for one which will fit that and a smartphone as well, ideally?
I like my manfrotto which is light enough to carry but good enough to be stable. You can get different heads should be one a phone can use if you get an adapter for the phone.

Attachments

• 080B4562-8CB6-441D-99D4-925A7B500E97.jpeg
    080B4562-8CB6-441D-99D4-925A7B500E97.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I like my manfrotto which is light enough to carry but good enough to be stable. You can get different heads should be one a phone can use if you get an adapter for the phone.
Fucksake, let me go find which one I have.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
A manfrotto 190XPROB according to the label.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I also use a manfrotto not sure if it will work with a phone

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
To be honest Bodhi the recommendation for tripod will depend on what she wants to use it for. The general desire is that you want lightweight, stable and cheap, but you can only have two of those attributes at a time. Carbon fibre can be very stable, and lightweight, but it'll be very expensive.

What photos does she want to take with three tripod? Very long star trail pictures will need a very stable base, blurred waterfall photos a bit less, just general photos taken in good light, when you just want to keep the camera in the same place for a series or whatever, you can get away with less still.

Another consideration will be weight of the camera lens combo. The 4000d is reasonably lightweight, but big lenses can make a difference.

I'm not really sure that helps :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Smartphone mounts can be had for a fiver - I have one that has a couple of 1/4" thread holes which just screws onto the tripod (assuming it has a base for a detachable head) and grabs the phone via a spring-loaded sliding arm (similar to this). You can get them with articulation and all sorts of fancy bits (remote-controlled portrait-to-landscape rotation etc).

As for tripods, what @Rubber Bullets said. It depends how steady she wants to keep the camera. If she simply wants to have the camera fixed in one place while taking a picture you can get literally anything. Even with these, if you user the timer function or get a remote shutter release for the camera (there isn't one for the EOS-4000D but you can use a smartphone app I think), you won't have to press the actual shutter button so will avoid moving the camera so vibrations will be minimised at the crucial moment. I have a Gitzo one with a lockable, tiltable column at the top because I was doing lots of ground-level plant/orchid photography and needed the flexibility.

You can spend anything from £50 (although I'd start higher than that) to over a grand on a tripod, it really depends what she's going to be doing with it.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Luckily I've been given a few days grace on this, so maybe time to give a bit more background :)

Basically I bought her the 4000D about 6 months ago, and in that time she's used it about 3 times. She thinks that getting a tripod may encourage her to use it a bit more - I am a little sceptical, but at least if she gets kitted out and doesn't use it, I have a nice selection of photography equipment to use :)

So if there's any such thing as a "starter" tripod to get her going, that would be perfect. I am likely to borrow it to video my golf swing when practising (yes yes I know), hence needing a smartphone mount as well.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Luckily I've been given a few days grace on this, so maybe time to give a bit more background :)

Basically I bought her the 4000D about 6 months ago, and in that time she's used it about 3 times. She thinks that getting a tripod may encourage her to use it a bit more - I am a little sceptical, but at least if she gets kitted out and doesn't use it, I have a nice selection of photography equipment to use :)

So if there's any such thing as a "starter" tripod to get her going, that would be perfect. I am likely to borrow it to video my golf swing when practising (yes yes I know), hence needing a smartphone mount as well.
My tripod was only 120 quid or so. I would class that as ‘starter’

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Some person in South America sent me this weird colourful box and some other asshole sent me a box when all I wanted was Haribo.

IMG_20200617_121340.jpg
IMG_20200617_125342__01.jpg

Syri

FH is my second home
My dad wanted to upgrade his graphics card but didn't want anything too fancy, just a bump up from his Geforce 1030, so I decided to give him my 970 and get a 2060 Super. Managed to find one on amazon that regularly dropped to around £340 and already had some vouchers. Best £320 I've ever spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom