Nerdy Awesome shit you bought!

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
You really think so?
We're in a flat, so 100% I'd question them for people who have stairs though.

Still do the room edges as it can't push into them like a person can but otherwise it does everything else. When I'm working from home I can just use a voice command to start it whilst I'm making breakfast before I start my day.

Embattle

FH is my second home
We have a couple of dogs and this sort of device will be quite helpful, especially with the mixed surfaces. We do have a couple of Dyson's, the older one will go out to the garage (I recently had to replace its trigger) for car cleaning and the slightly less old one will be kept where it is to occasionally do the parts the robot can't quite reach including the stairs etc.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I have to say, it is an impressive but of kit as it motored around using its LiDAR and other sensors to scan.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Hang on, what? A grand for a fucking hoover?

The 1K there depends on grammar tbfh.

More expensive than regular hoovers but cheaper than a wife? A fucking hoover would probably be less annoyed by crumbs?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The 1K there depends on grammar tbfh.

More expensive than regular hoovers but cheaper than a wife? A fucking hoover would probably be less annoyed by crumbs?
Does it give as good head as a wife? Spose depends on the motor....

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Mother in law brought a S7 Max for us and Kris' brother when we all moved apartments this summer. It is excellent. You do not need the wall mounted part if you do not want to pay as much. Definitely makes keeping on top of housework a lot easier. If we were not gifted one we would have brought one anyway as soon we will have a dog and then it goes from game changer to invaluable.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Might be a goer for us then when we've got our house sorted. The requirement to hoover is constant - we can't set a single foot outside the house without bringing dirt and slate back in. We're going to put engineered oak on the floor throughout downstairs, so a perma mop machine that can run when we're in bed might be a goer if it's as good as you guys all seem to say it is.

Is it loud?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Might be a goer for us then when we've got our house sorted. The requirement to hoover is constant - we can't set a single foot outside the house without bringing dirt and slate back in. We're going to put engineered oak on the floor throughout downstairs, so a perma mop machine that can run when we're in bed might be a goer if it's as good as you guys all seem to say it is.

Is it loud?
Ours has multiple performance levels, max is like a Dyson in terms of noise, everything else is less noisy, pretty quiet on lowest setting

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I think it is moderately loud if you are in the same room as it. Due to the cabling etc in the office we vacuum this ourselves once a week it also means when the S7 begins we can close the door if we are in a meeting. We run ours at 9am 4 times a week not overnight.

Embattle

FH is my second home

Is it loud?

The loudest noise is when it empties at the dock, other than that it is not overly loud most of the time.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Ordered Pixel 8 Pro, should last me for a while as it'll come with 7 years of updates.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Nah man Apple does nothing for me somehow. I turn off all the gubbins they include and I can never get their weird system down to the extent I know what I'm doing. Admittedly I've been an Android fella for ever and any iphone lugging friends all seem quite chuffed with theirs

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Nah man Apple does nothing for me somehow. I turn off all the gubbins they include and I can never get their weird system down to the extent I know what I'm doing. Admittedly I've been an Android fella for ever and any iphone lugging friends all seem quite chuffed with theirs
Most of my family use Android but I have to concede for one fucker though and that is because he is my son.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Most of my family use Android but I have to concede for one fucker though and that is because he is my son.

Over a decade ago I had to put up with my sister and her silly iPhone, in essence it didn't handle getting MP3s off my Synology in the same way so ended up having to install a third party app on her laptop to allow it to get the music on to the phone and that along with some other niggles was so fucking annoying I told her if she got another don't come to me for help :p

From the random thread:

Hmm. Not sure what to make of the new Pixel 8 Pro. From the videos I've seen its a massive disappointment.

Its £1000 (more if you want the 0.5 TB version)

Fingerprint sensor still only optical. A bit hit & miss
Refresh rate is only 120 Hz (144 would have been better, almost expected at that price)
Google are pushing their new 3rd gen chipset yet the phone can't even handle Genshin Impact on max settings without frame rate drop-out
(Motorola released a £199 budget blower recently which can handle it. How is that possible ? lol)
Phone heats up like an oven after only 30 mins gameplay
Photos are not as good as expected
Video uses software more than hardware. Badly lit, artificial colors make video look it was shot on a 20 year old low res phone.
Battery is good, but wired charging is painfully slow. 30W ! Seriously ? The Chinese are putting out phones with 165W fast chargers. And Google doesn't even put one in the box. I've just given you £1000. Where's the frigging charger ? lol

The S23 Ultra is leagues ahead of it, and its coming up to a year old now.

Mine was delivered yesterday, quite funny when the DPD driver asked if I minded to tell him what was in the box since he had so many of them to deliver.

I only went for the 256 GB version since my previous phone had that much and I got no where near filling it.
I've not noticed any more of a problem with the fingerprint reader than any previous phone I've had, I've made sure I've turned on the screen protector mode.
I'm not sure my phones screen refresh rate is going to bother me being only 120 Hz rather than 144 Hz.
I don't tend to game on my phone so can't really attest to heat issues but I wouldn't be surprised.
I suspect the photos will be better than the Pixel 7 Pro but then if I was serious about photography I wouldn't use a phone any way.
Never shot a long video or one that doesn't involve one of our dogs doing something stupid.
I charge every day so doubt I'll notice much issue with the battery. I did have a OnePlus phone that could do wireless charging faster, ironically I still use the wireless charger, but again it isn't something I'll personally worry about.

I took advantage of both the trade in and a free Pixel 2 watch when I ordered my Pixel 8 Pro (256), I also ordered the official case but then ordered a Spigen screen protector from Amazon. I like the fact they've ditched the curved screen edges, I didn't like them when they arrived on other phones and didn't see the point of them when google put them on the Pixel because in essence curved screen edges looked like a solution for a problem that didn't ever exist. At least with them now gone it opened up the option to get a better tempered glass screen protector rather than the plastic screen protectors.

I'll never buy a non Pixel phone, I've had a few other brands between the Nexus and Pixels I've owned, as I much prefer Android without the need for manufacturers to think they can do something better than google and just take many more months to release any updates with worse own brand apps. I also like the fact you can get 7 years of updates with the Pixel 8 Pro now.

The Samsung S23 Ultra was released in February and is a faster, higher spec phone and thus probably better, but then it is still a more expensive phone. I would also add besides my previously mention points regarding updates which is something that is important to me I've had a long dislike of Samsung build quality and warranty since my sister had 2 Samsung phones that ran into hardware issues and then ever further back a Samsung netbook which when she opened it had a massive golf ball sized dead spot on the screen and Samsung refused to replace it.

Some reviews:

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
So today I have been building my Raspberry Pi tower (finally decided to tidy them up and "rack" them), it has taken ages what with me dropping the screws/nuts on the floor and then spending ages trying to find the little fuckers.

Got 3 Pi's stacked, 1 Pi 5 to go if it will fit, my other 2 Pi's I cannot rack as they are my NTP servers (1 upstairs and 1 downstairs) and I want them standalone in case I want to move them and their satellite receivers.

Some output from one of ntp servers:

Code:
+-------------------------------------------++---------------------------------+
|    Time:       2023-10-31T18:43:24.000Z   ||PRN:   Elev:  Azim:  SNR:  Used: |
|    Latitude:    51.254034 N               ||  11    18    095    27      Y   |
|    Longitude:    0.731864 W               ||  12    66    066    20      Y   |
|    Altitude:   66.0 m                     ||  19    07    036    10      Y   |
|    Speed:      0.7 kph                    ||  24    28    132    28      Y   |
|    Heading:    347.9 deg (true)           ||  25    71    263    23      Y   |
|    Climb:      20.4 m/min                 ||  29    24    190    25      Y   |
|    Status:     3D FIX (20 secs)           ||  32    46    269    21      Y   |
|    Longitude Err:   +/- 15 m              ||  71    31    243    29      Y   |
|    Latitude Err:    +/- 12 m              ||  73    71    336    11      N   |
|    Altitude Err:    +/- 31 m              ||  80    36    079    14      Y   |
|    Course Err:      n/a                   ||  82    42    064    23      Y   |
|    Speed Err:       +/- 3 kph             ||  83    35    123    23      Y   |
|    Time offset:     0.110                 ||                                 |
|    Grid Square:     IO91pg                ||                                 |
+-------------------------------------------++---------------------------------+

remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
==============================================================================
o127.127.22.0    .PPS.            0 l    4   64  377    0.000    0.006   0.001
+127.127.28.0    .GPS.            0 l    6   16  377    0.000   -5.990   1.255
 x.x.x.x    .XFAC.          16 u    - 1024    0    0.000    0.000   0.000
*195.66.241.3    .PPS.            1 u   27   64  377    2.778    0.261   0.369
+195.66.241.10   .GPS.            1 u   63   64  377    3.388    0.389   0.338
+139.143.5.30    .MRS.            1 u    5   64  377    3.875    0.135   0.449
+139.143.5.31    .MRS.            1 u   26   64  377    3.908    0.111   0.436

As I am in the process of rebuilding my other NTP server is offline as shown above.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Here is the Raspberry Pi tower at FreddysHouse HQ.

20231101_090113.png

Had to use cable ties to secure the PIs as each one apart from the Pi5 has a POE+ hat so no available screw holes. So they will be connected to a Ubiquiti 8 port POE switch. Will finish later as Dad is due soon to take me to Doctors.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Right all 4 Pi now have Raspbian 64bit installed and fully patched. Had some fucking dodgy SD cards which would write and verify the image correctly but when the Pi booted off it would fail.

Used Sandisk SD cards and not one issue so far.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
If you get really bored, netboot is fun to try and get working

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom