Nerdy awesome shit we want

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Hmmm, or i could keep my existing one and get a Das Keyboard. How do Brown switches compare to the might Model M?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
My son has my Das Keyboard now. It’s not as satisfying as a model m but is quieter. More gameable too.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I was going to buy sonos one's until they announced their bricking scheme - at which point I turned off them permanently.

I know they've u-turned but any company dumb enough to announce such an environmentally irresponsible policy in pursuit of profit can suck my balls.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I was going to buy sonos one's until they announced their bricking scheme - at which point I turned off them permanently.

I know they've u-turned but any company dumb enough to announce such an environmentally irresponsible policy in pursuit of profit can suck my balls.

What's that announcement?

Embattle

FH is my second home

To me it was a lot of noise about nothing in my opinion, it was more about people being unable to make a money on their old device than any environmental concern.

What's that announcement?

Sonos kills off its controversial and device-bricking 'Recycle Mode' | What Hi-Fi?

dysfunction

FH is my second home

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Auto-bricking of working tech is disgusting environmentally.

Everyone says "recycle" but this is the order:

Reduce > Re-Use > Recycle.

Capitalism rules out Reduce, so I'm not blaming sonos for that.

Sonos' announced policy pushes it's users into Recycle rather than Re-Use. People who want the latest and greatest (bye-bye reduce) were to be denied re-use (give/sell to friends/family) and pushed into recycle.

Recycle is not a good outcome for products that can last for decades. (I bought my first stereo aged 17 and 30 years later I still have the same one. It's only last month I bought a new solution because of space constraints in the new house).

I take your point about smart speakers not being wholly environmentally responsible - especially if bricking tech every few years ostensibly to "introduce new features" (rather than drive new sales) is the "new normal" ('well done' capitalism). But right now, with reduce being ruled out, re-use is important - and Sonos' policy was against that.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Auto-bricking of working tech is disgusting environmentally.

Everyone says "recycle" but this is the order:

Reduce > Re-Use > Recycle.

Capitalism rules out Reduce, so I'm not blaming sonos for that.

Sonos' announced policy pushes it's users into Recycle rather than Re-Use. People who want the latest and greatest (bye-bye reduce) were to be denied re-use (give/sell to friends/family) and pushed into recycle.

Recycle is not a good outcome for products that can last for decades. (I bought my first stereo aged 17 and 30 years later I still have the same one. It's only last month I bought a new solution because of space constraints in the new house).

I take your point about smart speakers not being wholly environmentally responsible - especially if bricking tech every few years ostensibly to "introduce new features" (rather than drive new sales) is the "new normal" ('well done' capitalism). But right now, with reduce being ruled out, re-use is important - and Sonos' policy was against that.

Again in my opinion it wasn't the real reason for the noise, selling Sonos products on has become a corner stone of people being able to upgrade who aren't well off but like Sonos products.

Personally once a year I used to get a 50% discount on Sonos products due to where I worked at the time, in that 10+ years we've only got rid of one product to be WEEE recycled which was a Play 5 (Gen 1) and I sold a Play 3. As it stands the house has a Playbase, 2xPlay 1's and 2xPlay 3's and the only issue with the Play 3's has been a little sticky rubber foot used to fall out occasionally and when it got lost I contacted Sonos who sent me a pack of 4 replacements.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Again in my opinion it wasn't the real reason for the noise, selling Sonos products on has become a corner stone of people being able to upgrade who aren't well off but like Sonos products.
I do get it.

My beef is that unless we reform our entire economic system we're never going to get to reduce.

Another thing to add to tge list of reasons why we're fucked :(

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I do get it.

My beef is that unless we reform our entire economic system we're never going to get to reduce.

Another thing to add to tge list of reasons why we're fucked :(
I dunno. People spend more and more of their income on services and intangibles.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I dunno. People spend more and more of their income on services and intangibles.
I think once I wrapped my head around things I started looking at the world in a completely different way.

If I go around to my sister's / attend a family function (anyone's really) I'm astonished at the casual attitudes to consumption in general. I see it as a sort of blindness - you can only be aware of what you're aware of.

My close friend group are all on the same page really but outside of that it really hits home not only how incredibly wasteful their lifestyles are but also how intrinsically bound up that lifestyle is in both their sense of self worth and their visions of future happiness.

Meanwhile, I look at them and feel like it's a sort of mental illness that flies in the face of evidence, but like canaries in cages how are they supposed to feel different? :(

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I think once I wrapped my head around things I started looking at the world in a completely different way.

If I go around to my sister's / attend a family function (anyone's really) I'm astonished at the casual attitudes to consumption in general. I see it as a sort of blindness - you can only be aware of what you're aware of.

My close friend group are all on the same page really but outside of that it really hits home not only how incredibly wasteful their lifestyles are but also how intrinsically bound up that lifestyle is in both their sense of self worth and their visions of future happiness.

Meanwhile, I look at them and feel like it's a sort of mental illness that flies in the face of evidence, but like canaries in cages how are they supposed to feel different? :(
Its the way everyone has been programmed from the fashion industry to in built obsolescence in electronics and the in ability to easily change batterys in a lot of things.

personally i dont think i have bought new clothes for at least 2 years and that was a one off get quite a few bits and had been a long time since i had bought before.

i also buy second hand cars every 5 years or so.

its the only way to keep company growth and why capitalism without limits is shit. I cant believe people / companies are allowed to release new products that are not 100% recyclable.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Help.

A: PC-O11DYNAMIC - Black Tempered Glass ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case | LIAN LI is a Leading Provider of PC Cases | Computer Cases.
B: InWin A1 Plus
C: Pick me something else. Needs to be smaller than the Corsair Carbide Air 540 (Which I'm still using!) - Still undecided between size. I want small/med! So many decisions.

Preparing for Q4 at that point I buy a stupid PC upgrade (Rip 4770k)
Very different cases @Overdriven, personally I like the style of the InWin one more than the Lian Li.

I tend to have a thing for NZXT cases though so if I were looking right now I'd be drawn in by this: H1 | NZXT

View: https://youtu.be/y7hBuzQBsyA

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Very different cases @Overdriven, personally I like the style of the InWin one more than the Lian Li.

I tend to have a thing for NZXT cases though so if I were looking right now I'd be drawn in by this: H1 | NZXT

View: https://youtu.be/y7hBuzQBsyA

Give me another few inches [pause] and I'd be happy with that case. Something where I can fit a 240mm AIO (top mounted) and a full length GPU I'd be sorted.

Finding a case is the hardest part!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
SM580 | Sliger

Pros:
240mm rad - yes (up to 280mm in the top).
Full length GPU - yes (up to 328mm, 3 slot).
Highly customisable.
Great thermals (especially for the size of case).

Cons:
It's chuffing expensive.
Sliger is an American company but they just set distribution up in the EU from Slovakia (https://www.density.sk/product/sm580).

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I want something slightly smaller, but it's a nice case. Basically the whole "less is more" aesthetic right now. Not at the point where I can cope with a large case. Something which'll go >on< my desk or be out of the way.

Node 804 — Fractal Design is on my list too. I'll end up shortlisting about 50 cases in the next few months then impulse buying one of them!

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I want something slightly smaller, but it's a nice case. Basically the whole "less is more" aesthetic right now. Not at the point where I can cope with a large case. Something which'll go >on< my desk or be out of the way.

Node 804 — Fractal Design is on my list too. I'll end up shortlisting about 50 cases in the next few months then impulse buying one of them!
Yeah its a beast and if you want it on your desk it would be quite imposing. I have mine under the desk to is isnt a problem. Reason i went for that was it had a slot for a blu ray rw which i wanted to keep from my old system rather than have a usb one.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Heh, Fractal are my other case manufacturer of choice.

If the 804 is too big check out the 304. I've got one for my NAS because I wanted 6 drive bays in a small form factor. Really great case, easy to build in.

Node 304 — Fractal Design

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
If it wasn't for OLED burn-in issues using it as a work monitor as well as for gaming and media consumption I'd be all over this.

Perfect size for my needs, beautiful OLED picture with great HDR, 4k, 120Hz with adaptive sync... but argh OLED burn-in. I know there are ways of managing it but I'd be constantly worrying.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
If it wasn't for OLED burn-in issues using it as a work monitor as well as for gaming and media consumption I'd be all over this.

Perfect size for my needs, beautiful OLED picture with great HDR, 4k, 120Hz with adaptive sync... but argh OLED burn-in. I know there are ways of managing it but I'd be constantly worrying.

Damn, that guy basically has my lounge TV setup as his PC monitor...

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
There has been a lot of noise made about it in certain corners of the PC community since LG announced they were releasing a "smaller" 48" OLED TV this year. I have a 32" 4k on top of a 34" ultrawide at the moment and this single 48" screen would be perfection. It looks amazing in every department (and it's under half the price of anything even remotely equivalent in the PC monitor sector) apart from the niggling concerns about burn-in.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
60" 4k telly was my monitor in Nottingham. Was very luxurious.

I've not brought a TV with me to Wales. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom