Need To Get A New Mobile And Service Provider

Damini

Part of the furniture
Basically, I'm chronicly pissed off with 02. I've been with them for donkeys (I'm still on the original genie contract), and it's just got more and more shite. Their online paying section went dead for me a year ago, and each time I tried to get it fixed it's never worked, so I can't see how my bill is broken down. Then my bills became absurdly high, and they sent threatening texts. When I challenged them, it turned out they had secretly given me two accounts, merged them together yet kept them apart, and when I paid my bill they kept the money in a closed account (which I had no idea existed) and then sent me letters saying my actual account hadn't been paid.

Now my phone bills are getting more and more ridiculously high, despite me not using my phone that much, and I can't even check how my bill is broken down and what is costing me all the money.

Does anyone have any recomendations for good companies to go with? I want to get a proper printed bill ideally because I'm hacked off with this stupid o2 online crap.

Cheers my dears.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
T-Mobile on Mix-It, benefits of contract & pay as you go at the same time. I'm waiting for my Orange contract 12 months to end so I can dump it & pick this up, then I'll be £40 a month, no more, if the credit runs out people can f'kn ring me.

Oh & obligatory "Mobile forum" Little Miss Bobbins :)

Damini

Part of the furniture
There's a mobile forum? Well, that'll teach me for not exploring.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
T-Mobile seem to be doing the best deals at the moment; however, I've no idea whether they're any good or not, the network used to be pants but I'd heard it had got better. As for the rest, really not much difference between them tbh unless you're a big international traveller or summat (in which case Vodafone). NB. Sony Z600 handset is luverly :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Get a proper contract if you can afford it, all the networks are as good and bad as each other. Just go with whatever you can afford that gives you the most free minutes and texts so you bill isnt ever higher than your monthly fee. At least with a proper contract you get itemised billing and free customer support.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
DaGaffer said:
T-Mobile seem to be doing the best deals at the moment; however, I've no idea whether they're any good or not, the network used to be pants but I'd heard it had got better. As for the rest, really not much difference between them tbh unless you're a big international traveller or summat (in which case Vodafone). NB. Sony Z600 handset is luverly :)
I'm got a T-Moble PAYG sim & it's far more impressive than my orange contract is, which is not hard but still impressive.

raw

One of Freddy's beloved
I've been with Orange since 1998 & never had a problem.

ManDevil

One of Freddy's beloved
raw said:
I've been with Orange since 1998 & never had a problem.

Same here, I've been with them the last 5 years or so, no problems at all.

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
Damani, depends where you live really, if youre in a city network coverage will generally be pretty good so the only thing that you need worry about is how many free texts you want to get with the package...personally I would recommend vodafone mainly because they are seem ok customer service wise and i havent had any trouble with the network..T-Shite are horrible people who dont have a clue what they are on about, the dont even have their own network merely steal(rent) someone elses..sorry bit of a rant but I have the misfortune of having to work with them sometimes and they are useless!

my tuppences worth!

Jaba

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
I switched from O2 pay as you go to a Orange contract and i'm much happier with it.

Only thing is i got a sneaky deal which apparantly your not supposed to be able to get. Basically it's the Ericsson T610 on a 'high speed data tariff'. I dunno what that means but it's what i asked for on advice from a mate and it's a standard £10 a month contract, minimum one year and the phone comes free. Basically £120 for a T610. Once contract runs out i'll err ...put another sim card in? Ahem.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm waiting until there are more 3g phones available (a few months so I'm told), then I'm switching from Orange to 3g.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
I used to work for o2... and feel somehow, in a strange way... insulted.

Thanks Damini. *goes to cry*

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It sucks Damini, but they're well within their rights to do it. The dumb couple should've reported the phone missing earlier. :)

(Also been on Orange for 5 years without a single hitch. And they send me cool stuff in the mail as well. *shakes fist at vodafone*)

Embattle

FH is my second home
Tom said:
I'm waiting until there are more 3g phones available (a few months so I'm told), then I'm switching from Orange to 3g.

More and hopefully better ones.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Tom said:

Sonyericsson Z1010 Pls :)

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Just for a point of reference I've been with orange since 99 & never had any problems until there operators couldn't accept simple instructions of "I want the same type of plan I'm already on but with a greater number of inclusive minutes". After then being dumped on the wrong package only to notice with the arrival of a £250.00 phone bill it then took 3 months of arguing with them to agree a settled figure of £100.00 for what was their mistake.

So T-Mobile from that BBC thing are going to bill a couple for their stupidity while Orange these days try to bill you for the stupidity of their staff, great. :rolleyes:

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I've had a t-mobile contract for 5 years, my sister uses it now, but we have never had a single problem.

Orange I have used once before and now again, although their customer service was excellent their network was shite. Text messaging in particular is awful on orange (in my experience). This time around I notice their customer service is considerably worse but their network performs a bit better -not as good as t-mobile, vodafone or o2 though. That said t-mobile and Orange do have the best talktime/text packages avalable right now, and a good choice of flashy phones.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Tom said:

Why? Seriously, Why?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
DaGaffer said:
Why? Seriously, Why?
Last I checked they're actually cheaper than the "Big 4" so to speak for call charges.

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Ch3tan said:
I've had a t-mobile contract for 5 years, my sister uses it now, but we have never had a single problem.

Orange I have used once before and now again, although their customer service was excellent their network was shite. Text messaging in particular is awful on orange (in my experience). This time around I notice their customer service is considerably worse but their network performs a bit better -not as good as t-mobile, vodafone or o2 though. That said t-mobile and Orange do have the best talktime/text packages avalable right now, and a good choice of flashy phones.
weirdly enough I'm on t-mobile and my reception is pants! I was on vodaphone (don't know why I changed* :s) and they were top.

*Cheaper phone I think.

/edit while I'm here, is it possible to migrate a number over suppliers? I was thinking no but wanted to make sure.

echo

Fledgling Freddie
Big up the Virgin! ...for want of a better expression. They send me nice things in the post, I've never had a problem and it's cheap to text me mates (though that's cos they too are on Virgin, so it's 3p/text). As for proper contracts, I can't afford one so I have no idea

Rubric

Part of the furniture
When i have had contract phones i have always had Vodafone. Never however go with the singlepoint billing service as their service is terrible and you will have trouble ending the contract. (In my wifes experience). Vodafone connect however is superb service.

The coverage on Vodafone is the best and they do have some good tarriffs if you explore their website.

Regards

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Oh and pay as you go i dont think you can beat virgin. If you have a phone you can get a simcard for a tenner.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Doh_boy said:
/edit while I'm here, is it possible to migrate a number over suppliers? I was thinking no but wanted to make sure.

You need to obtain your PUK code from your current provider and then you shouldnt have any problems just tell your new provider that you want to transfer a number & give them the code.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Rubric said:
Oh and pay as you go i dont think you can beat virgin. If you have a phone you can get a simcard for a tenner.

I tend to like my phone to have signal... but i may be in the minority here. Hell i even use my phone to call people.

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
Rubric said:
You need to obtain your PUK code from your current provider and then you shouldnt have any problems just tell your new provider that you want to transfer a number & give them the code.

its actually Port Authorisation Code (or PAC )

PUK is to unlock the phone.

just phone up customer support and request your Port Authorisation Code, they should be forthcoming then you got up to 30 days to use it.

normally takes a week to propogate through to the other phone suppliers tho.

i was on the genie tarriff for years as well, jumped over to Orange because they are a better signal over in Northern Ireland, and it would cost me less per month (that and the fact that i stopped txt spk yrs ago and started ringing people to chat)

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Insane said:
its actually Port Authorisation Code (or PAC )

PUK is to unlock the phone.

just phone up customer support and request your Port Authorisation Code, they should be forthcoming then you got up to 30 days to use it.

normally takes a week to propogate through to the other phone suppliers tho.

i was on the genie tarriff for years as well, jumped over to Orange because they are a better signal over in Northern Ireland, and it would cost me less per month (that and the fact that i stopped txt spk yrs ago and started ringing people to chat)

DOH!

It is indeed your pac code.

sorry.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
DaGaffer said:
Why? Seriously, Why?

Because the newer phones will rock, and I want the extra features they offer: video calls, downloading news and sports video, location finding, etc.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
They just need to be smaller, give it 6 months to a year and they'll rawk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom