Need expert help please

• Thread starter old.pala hellraiser
  • Start date
O

old.pala hellraiser

Thanks alot for the info Insane but I have unfortunately tried everthing you have suggested. I have never formatted the drive before, installed a OS, flashed my bios, installed 4in1 drivers or put a new PSU in before yesterday :) So although I haven't been able to solve the problems at least I have learnt alot.

Cheers.

W

Wilier

Originally posted by old.pala hellraiser
Thanks to everyone that has tried to help me out but I am sick of it now. I am gonna get a Radeon card instard and nvidia can shove this card up there ass :)

I'll but it from you. £50 enough??

S

(Shovel)

Originally posted by Insane

set them up followingly
[agp] Geforce4
[pci1] (leave it blank)
[pci2] Sound card (presume SB live?)
[pci3] network/modem
[pci4] (leave it blank)
[pci5] (remaining add-on boards)
Give that a stab and see if it works..

PCI 1 shares the same IRQ as the AGP slot.

PCI 2 and PCI 4 share IRQs as well, but i think PCI3 and PCI5 have their own seperate IRQs in the system, im not to certain about PCI6 (i think that shares PCI3 but im not sure) but if you got certain cards in certain slots it will cause untold haywire with PCI bandwidth overutilisation (commonly seen on high-end servers using a 32-bit PCI SCSI RAID cards )
[/B]

Since te GF4 issue is done with and I was about to ask about this set up.
Are you totally sure that's right? Cause I'm about to do a major upgrade and may as well rearrange everything 'correctly'.

NEtwork card & Modem - only one used at once so put them in sharing IRQs yes?

Thanks.

I

Insane

Originally posted by (Shovel)
Are you totally sure that's right? Cause I'm about to do a major upgrade and may as well rearrange everything 'correctly'.

NEtwork card & Modem - only one used at once so put them in sharing IRQs yes?

I used to work in a computer shop when i was "younger" and we used to depend completely on PCI Priority, the lower down the slots you go the less bandwidth you theoretically have available.(this was sometimes not the case but it was relied on for a stable machine)

thats why in old machines the VGA card is on the top slot, modems near the bottom and the sound cards in the last PCI slot (if its a PCI sound card, ISA had its own bus architecture so you didnt have as many constraints as with the early PCI)

so theres two ways you can do it, IRQ pairing or PCI Priority. All my machines are PCI Priority and they have ALWAYS been ultra stable, even with Windows ME installed for a short period of time. :eek6:

so my machine at homes like this :-

[AGP] Radeon 8500
[PCI1] Empty
[PCI2] Network
[PCI3] SCSI UW Controller
[PCI4] Empty
[PCI5] SB Live
so you could follow mine and swap the SCSI for your modem and you can try from there... mine is very stable indeed and im running a radeon 8500! :eek6:

or you could do the earlier one (IRQ pairing)

[agp] Geforce4
[pci1] (leave it blank)
[pci2] Sound card
[pci3] modem
[pci4] (leave it blank)
[pci5] Network card

like i said, i lean more towards PCI Priority (and so do two other engineers where I work) due to its stability. but most overclockers prefer IRQ pairing

Users who are viewing this thread