Need expert help please

• Thread starter old.pala hellraiser
  • Start date
O

old.pala hellraiser

Hi I have a problem that is confusing me and many helpline proffessionals if you can help me I would greatly appreciate it. My motherboard is a AK75-EC running on a 2GHz AMD Athlon, 386 mb ram and windows 98. I had a Radeon 7000 card but found that it wasnt performing as well as I would like so I purchased a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 for my computer today. I did the usual uninstall of Radeon drivers and set it to the standard display driver and then I shutdown and inserted the Geforce 4 which it detected and then installed the drivers, so far so good. Then I get the "your machine needs to be restarted to complete installation" so I click ok and it restarts. then as windows is loading up I get to a black screen with a underscore flashing in the top left hand corner. Nothing responds and so I have to reset and then I have to enter safe mode to uninstall the drivers so I can get into windows. I have tried the newest drivers from nvidia website I also went out and bought a new PSU to see if that would help but unfortunately not. I previously had a Geforce 2 mx on this motherboard and had the exact same problem but I just thought it was because the card was damaged. I have rung the helpline and I have tried various things and they now have no idea what it could be so I am lost on what to do. The only thing they can think of is that my motherboard might not like Geforce cards but I doubt it. Can any of you think of a reason why it might be doing this or can you shed some light on the matter?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

I have downloaded and installed newest viaarena 4in1 drivers but no change

T

tris-

Did you try clearing the CMOS? i dont know how to do it on your board but if you have the manual, have a look in it or ring the help line again. Also there is a setting in the BIOS (If the BIOS is made by Award/Phoenix) called Force Update ESCD, put that onto enable. This setting should be found uunder PNP/PCI Configuartion Setup menu.

O

old.pala hellraiser

OK cheers mate when it comes to the CMOS and BIOS I dont really know what I am doing, If I do clear the CMOS will I have to do a complicated installation procedure afterwards or does it do it itself? Also to enter the BIOS I just press delete when computer has just been turned on or restarted, correct?

T

tris-

Originally posted by old.pala hellraiser
OK cheers mate when it comes to the CMOS and BIOS I dont really know what I am doing, If I do clear the CMOS will I have to do a complicated installation procedure afterwards or does it do it itself? Also to enter the BIOS I just press delete when computer has just been turned on or restarted, correct?

If you clear the CMOS you have to go through setting CPU speed, primary display device etc.. can be complicated if a) you have never done it before and b) you havent got the manual.

ALso about entering the BIOS.. correct.

Personally i would try the "Force Update ESCD" setting first because its easy to do and it cant bugger the system if you change it :cool:

I would read up more about clearing the CMOS before you do it.

O

old.pala hellraiser

ok mate just looked at my BIOS under PNP/PCI config and there isnt force update ESCD but there is something similar err I have a bad memory reset config or something and under its explanation it refers to the ESCD and says to enable it when a add on as been installed and the OS fails to boot which is what my problem is after installing the drivers so what do you reckon shall I try it?

O

old.pala hellraiser

I have had people advising me to format the drive and reinstall windows do you think it might solve the problem?

K

kryt

woah, hold it right there. Before you do any of the above, just wait.
When you get that cursor, leave it 10 minutes. Go make a cuppa, grab some food.

Come back, see if it loads : I can almost guarantee it will.

The problem itself seems to lies within Windows 98 - I've yet to see that happen on an NT installation of any kind
Not actually sure on the cause or fix unfortunately, but hopefully the above information can help.

Does it boot in safe mode?
If so, change the drivers : I would put a small amount of money on a problem with software.

Also make sure that in the BIOS, make sure the option "Set IRQ to VGA" or whatever it is to that effect is enabled, but if you've managed to clear it, that should be default.

The last time i had this problem, was on a Riva128 and windows 98. It just made 98 take AGES to load, hence why I said wait :)

Hope this helps.

O

old.pala hellraiser

lol I just reformatted my drive mate but hey no worries I had lots of shit that needed sorting out anyway :) Ok I am about to download the newest drivers and if I get to the black screen again I will wait as you said and hopefully it will load up :)

Cheers

T

tris-

ok mate just looked at my BIOS under PNP/PCI config and there isnt force update ESCD but there is something similar err I have a bad memory reset config or something and under its explanation it refers to the ESCD and says to enable it when a add on as been installed and the OS fails to boot which is what my problem is after installing the drivers so what do you reckon shall I try it?

Thats the thing, but seen as you formatted the drive, it dont matter now :D

O

old.pala hellraiser

Ok here goes Since formatting nothing has changed. I downloaded the newest drivers (and tryed some older ones) but after applying chnages and restarting I still get the black screen with the underscore flashing in the top left hand corner. I left it for about 20 mins mate and still nothing happened :( The only thing I can think of is maybe my motherboard BIOS needs upgrading? I have found the place to download it from but I arent gonna try it unless you think I should. What do ya reckon guys?

Cheers

T

tris-

Ok here goes Since formatting nothing has changed. I downloaded the newest drivers (and tryed some older ones) but after applying chnages and restarting I still get the black screen with the underscore flashing in the top left hand corner. I left it for about 20 mins mate and still nothing happened :( The only thing I can think of is maybe my motherboard BIOS needs upgrading? I have found the place to download it from but I arent gonna try it unless you think I should. What do ya reckon guys?

Cheers

If you know for certain how to flash the BIOS then do it, but you will have to change all the settings again afterwards.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Once downloaded put it in a directory and run it, the files will unzip.

Copy all the files either onto a floppy disk you KNOW to be alright, as in no bad sectors, or if you have a hdd that has the FAT 32 filesystem on it, copy them onto that.

Next thing you need is a win98 boot disk or cd rom. Bootup, press f8 before it starts and select "Safemode and bypass all system files" or something like that, its the bottom item on the menu (number 7 or something?)

Then put the correct disk in or go to the correct dir on your hard disk and type "runme" at the promt.

A menu will come up with the name of the bios file to be programmed, dont think you have to touch anything, it will pause slightly while it picks up the make of the bios chip.

Let it do its thing, dont interrupt, reboot or turn it off. This must go smoothly.

When its done press F10 or whatever it is to restart. I'd recommend turning your computer off.

When you turn it back on remove the disk and it will be most likely that the settings will be wiped, you will have to go through the bios and set them up again (its not hard), post here asking questions if you need them on bios settings.
(thinking about it, it might be worth making a note of important ones before you wipe it if you arent sure)

This is how to upgarde your bios.

Dime
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Origionaly posteed by Dimebag

O

old.pala hellraiser

I dont know for certain how to flash the BIOS infact I dont have a clue how to do it :) On the website there are about 5 different BIOS versions (just download the newest one I suppose). I understand what you are saying and I reckon I should be ok apart from when entering the BIOS. I havent a clue how to do this and what the settings should be. So you think I should go into BIOS and write down all the settings and then just write them in when I have upgraded it?

Thanks

T

tris-

I dont know for certain how to flash the BIOS infact I dont have a clue how to do it :) On the website there are about 5 different BIOS versions (just download the newest one I suppose). I understand what you are saying and I reckon I should be ok apart from when entering the BIOS. I havent a clue how to do this and what the settings should be. So you think I should go into BIOS and write down all the settings and then just write them in when I have upgraded it?

Thanks

Read the guide thing i posted last post, its as accurate as you can get it. Also, that is prbably a good idea (writing everything down) :)

O

old.pala hellraiser

ok mate just read at the website it says to copy the files onto a floppy like you said and then boot into windows using the disk. It dosnt mention using the windows start up disk or going into safe mode, it then tells me to type "A:\>[executable] [filename].bin /Sn /py" then just let it do it and then reset the machine and to then load "bios default" or "Bios optimal settings"

Does this sound right to you mate or shall I do it the way you said? This way sounds easier but I wanna see what you think.

Thanks again

T

tris-

Should probably do it the way the web site says cos those instructions are for windows 98 i think, and you have XP :puke: flash it thr way the web site says then come tell us how it went ;)

O

old.pala hellraiser

ok another thing I just realised my motherboard is revison A (this the model type? ) and on the download site most of them are for revison d and e. There is one for a,b,c so I suppose this is the one I should download right?

I promise I wont ask too many more questions :)

T

tris-

ok another thing I just realised my motherboard is revison A (this the model type? ) and on the download site most of them are for revison d and e. There is one for a,b,c so I suppose this is the one I should download right?

I promise I wont ask too many more questions :)

Show me the web adress

O

old.pala hellraiser

Nope I dont have xp mate I have windows 98

T

tris-

Nope I dont have xp mate I have windows 98

errk dunno wtf i was reading then;) but still probably should do it the way the web site says, that guide is just incase there is no other way and you cant find any way to do it. also whats the web adress?

O

old.pala hellraiser

www.dfi.com then click motherboards and click on the drop down menu on bios upgrade and select AK75-EC

Thanks alot bud would be stuck without you

T

tris-

Ok, read through the page, revision just means that they have 'improved' on the last release of the BIOS. So your board came with revision A (first release) so you know that you dont have the latest update and need a new one (if you know what i mean) so get the update that is at the top of the list and then follow the instructions you have.

O

old.pala hellraiser

Aghh now it makes sense ;) ok mate gonna try it now if I dont respond it means I have just buggered my computer :)

T

tris-

one last thing, turn the computer right off rather than just reset, good luck

O

old.pala hellraiser

Damn I didnt get very far. I restarted into ms dos mode and typed what it told me to but all I get is "bad command or file name" damn maybe I should do it your way

O

old.pala hellraiser

ok it was my mistake I didnt understand it right but I dont think it upgraded right I am gonna try it again

O

old.pala hellraiser

ok I just checked it succesfully did it but just tried installing drivers again and nothing has changed :( I still get the black screen. Any more suggestions greatly recieved :)

T

tris-

ok so lets go through it...

you formatted HDD
you flashed the bios
you installed the VIA 4 in 1 drivers
also..

you did set primary graphics thing to AGP in BIOS didnt you?

also... if the bios didnt update propley, youd know about it... your comp wouldnt even boot up ;)

O

old.pala hellraiser

Yep I have done everything you just listed mate. I just can't think of anything else to do now. I havent got the option of "primary graphics" to set it to AGP but I found a similar thing saying use init first and PCI was selected I have changed that to AGP now. Anything else you can think of?

T

tris-

Thats the setting i am talking about, if that doesnt do the trick, i dunno what will.

Users who are viewing this thread