Need expert help please

• Thread starter old.pala hellraiser
  • Start date
O

old.pala hellraiser

ok thanks alot for trying mate its appreciated. This problem seems to have everyone puzzled. The funny thing is, is that I have found a post with a guy having EXACT same problem as me and he hasnt even been responded to so I guess no one knows why this is happenning. The next thing I am gonna do is I am gonna throw my computer out of my bedroom window and see if that helps.

O

old.pala hellraiser

I have a very nasty feeling that windows may be loading up fine with the drivers but my monitor cant handle the default resolution of the card and so I get a black screen with the underscore in top left of the screen. Could this be correct? The monitor is about 5 years old. If this is correct though my geforce 2 mx was working on this monitor fine and when I had a new motherboard and processor fitted I carried on using the same monitor and it didnt work so I suppose it cant be the monitor. Or could it? I dont know anything about monitors. If you think it could be the monitor how can I check? can you download new drivers for monitors?

I may be completely wrong and my monitor may be fine but if you read the rest of the post I have tried everything.

Any information greatly appreciated

Cheers

T

tris-

nah that wouldnt happen if the resolution was too high, assuming everything worked, your monitor would load with the resolution and refresh rate, attempt to use it then set on fire, or something to that effect.

O

old.pala hellraiser

Its starting to look like I am gonna have to send the card back and get a Radeon card :(

T

tris-

get the newest radeon thats out, i hear thats pretty good

O

old.pala hellraiser

Yep I hear it is too but I reckon its gonna be a tad more expensive then this card :)

O

old.pala hellraiser

Thats a good price I suppose but I paid £110 for this one :)

T

tris-

ohh read your card wrong, thought u had the 4600, which is near on 300 i think ;)

T

tris-

Originally posted by kameleon
why?
Because why do you need to? Why cant you say "i am here now"? We know your name, we can read it at the side of the message. It always strikes me as someone with there head too far up there arse to know any better.
anyway this is going completley off topic so we should stop it now.

K

kameleon

maybe i hit the k instead of the i. theres no need to be so nasty

O

old.pala hellraiser

This might sound a stupid question but how do I read my PM's ?

Cheers

O

old.pala hellraiser

oh nevermind I figured it out I have sent you a reply mate

T

tris-

hmm

well for some reason, this happend to me today (blinking thing in the corner). I figured out the problem was that windows was creating two config.sys files, one in the c:\ directory and one where its meant to be, i deleted the one in c:\ directory through safe mode and then it worked.

O

old.pala hellraiser

I just did a search for config.sys and yes there are 2 :) Although im not sure which one to delete. 1 belongs just in c:\ the other one is in c:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD. Which one shall I delete mate?

O

old.pala hellraiser

Ok mate just deleted but there no change :(

O

old.pala hellraiser

yep it is mate its firmly in place and the fan on the card is spinning

T

tris-

well then i officialy give up, there is nothing more i can think off:(

O

old.pala hellraiser

Thanks to everyone that has tried to help me out but I am sick of it now. I am gonna get a Radeon card instard and nvidia can shove this card up there ass :)

P

PR.

In which case we will wait with baited breath for the problems that you will experience with that ;)

O

old.pala hellraiser

Thanks you have made me feel so much better

I

Insane

Im gonna throw some of my knowledge into the ring here :p im also gonna presume a hell of a lot here

old.pala.hellraiser...
When you formatted the machine and installed the Operating system (Windows 98SE?) did it work with the "standard VGA driver" installed? im presuming it did.

---

is it right after you install the drivers that windows hard locks during boot? have you tried swapping the monitor cable across to the DVI socket (using the DVI-Analog converter supplied with the graphics card?)

---
(im gonna go deep here, bear with me)
---

Right, so look at your board... should be this:

[agp] Geforce4
[pci1]
[pci2]
(continue to amount of PCI slots in machine)

what add-in cards do you have and what slots are they in?
(general advice here)
set them up followingly
[agp] Geforce4
[pci1] (leave it blank)
[pci2] Sound card (presume SB live?)
[pci3] network/modem
[pci4] (leave it blank)
[pci5] (remaining add-on boards)
Give that a stab and see if it works..

---
only other thing to do is go into your bios
(hit Del)
go to Advanced Configuration (or PCI Configuration) and look down the list until you see "AGP SPEED" it might be set at x4, go ahead and change it to x2 or x1, SAVE & EXIT the bios and give that a try. did it work? you could even attempt setting your bios to "LOAD DEFAULTS" and see if it works then.

the last thing theres a last-ditch attempt at getting your graphics card working, AGP x4 isnt much better than AGP x2 so you will see nominal difference between them. Like someone said maybe your motherboard has an incompatibility with the Geforce line, due to their power resources.

I

Insane

PCI 1 shares the same IRQ as the AGP slot.

PCI 2 and PCI 4 share IRQs as well, but i think PCI3 and PCI5 have their own seperate IRQs in the system, im not to certain about PCI6 (i think that shares PCI3 but im not sure) but if you got certain cards in certain slots it will cause untold haywire with PCI bandwidth overutilisation (commonly seen on high-end servers using a 32-bit PCI SCSI RAID cards :eek: )

Thats why you hear a lot of people who use Win2k/XP for gaming tell you to install it as a "standard PC" instead of ACPI, stops windows sharing IRQs when it shouldnt, or doesnt have to...
im safe, my motherboard (one MSI K7T266 Pro2-RU) sets itself up as an ACPI Uniprocessor PC with 18 IRQs to play with, so no IRQ sharing for me :D

Users who are viewing this thread