Names...

O

old.Vae

Vae Niqua- Vae used for a char in a P&P RPG game ages ago.

Means Woe in Latin so I can say "Woe is me" and grin :D
Oh and I pronounce it Vay not Vi as someone else here thought and was annoyed cos it reminded him of Unix programming!

Niqua was swiped from a mates surname in aforementioned RPG

Other Char names based on Vae:
Vaep
Vael
Vaer
Vaed
Vaeg

F

Fafnir

Fafnir - Well used this name aslong as i can remember when playing rpg's. And it was only a few years ago that i found out its the english spelling for Fafne in the story about Sigurd and Fafne.
So then i started to use Fafne too.

And i added Dragonbane when i killed a black dragon in AD&D.. :)

O

old.Gombur Glodson

Gombur was the name of my ickle dwarf cleric in baldurs gate, and I added the Glodson (from the discworld) because it seemed fit to a dwarf.
I stuck to the same name when I moved to albion so my old realmmates would know it was me

G

Gef

When I was about 12 and first started messing with Bulletin Boards and the internet it was the done thing to try and choose 'some' kind of handle. Looking around for some inspiration I was looking through my record collection for song names that might have cool names in them. Came across a Stone Roses tape and the record label was Geffen, loads of my records were on the same label. Nirvana etc ..

It stuck, shortened it to Gef so all my names tend to have the 'Gef' theme .. sad but true ;)

Z

zardoz

Zardoz Deachyer: I needed a nick when i started playing QuakeWorld and i picked Zardoz as it was a lame film made in the year i was born. Deachyer: i needed to register at some website somewhere and all the derivitives of Zardoz were taken, so i just started typing whatever looked good and that was the result

Stelrad: I saw it on the front of a lorry on the way back from a client and just had to use it as a name.

Kodas: Autogen (boring)

V

VidX

hehe nice thread, makes sense :rolleyes:

Usp Agromagnet - Usp was my alt nick in CS when I wanted to play without my clan tag, derived from my expertise with the pistol of the same name. Agromagnet came from the fact I was pulling agro at level 10 from the rest of the group who were 8 levels above me (Locomo, Fionn, Moddru, Lomarion, Kaulso, Tiro, Tenpit and Strider). Played Usp Thokom in the beta.

Alf Lurialtsrus - Red hair, A.L.F. rules :) And Lurialtsrus (Luri Alts R Us) was invented by Josidiah when we were playing Luri Champs at 5am while at a LAN party.

Vid X - VidX has been my tag since I dropped the WhiteStar tag for a change :)

Sig - From my favourite non-pistol in CS, the SG552, aka the Sig.

V

Venemous

ShadowBlood - off the top of my head, but it turns out to be some sort of suicide spell a powerful vampire can conjure, where thier blood bursts from thier veins... something along those lines anyways...

Venemous Shadows - sounds better than Lifebane Stealth

O

old.mattshanes

Mattshanes=A name my friend made up from somewhere so i chose it since no one would have it.

Sycho=Good nickname,suits me i know its spelt wrong but i like it spelt this way.

Acira=From the manga movie but i had to spell it different as it was taken already.

Firepower=Unique suitable name for my wizard.

T

the_smurflord

Visit AurianForGoodCloth - It was originally supposed to be Visit TheInfidelWithExplanatoryPamphlets, the "moderate" klatchian from the discworld books. But as you are limited to 23 characters, I couldn't use it. I was a little drunk and annoyed at the time, so I foolishly choose this.

Lachesis - My tailoring alt. Lachesis was one of the 3 furies of greek myth that wove the tapestry of life.

Eliseth - suggested by Aurian, no idea of it's origins, but it sounded good.

Boudica - legendary british female warrior. Seemed a good choice for a briton paladin.

Undying Telamon - BIG highlander, black plate, BIG 2-H scimitar, likes to stand next to rocks and scare people. Nuff said. :D

A

Aeternus

I was so excited to get started with the game and after not finding a name that was already taken, I simply hit the first thing that came up in my mind... my favourite artist (Sopor Aeternus), how cliche yes.

I never intended to keep playing the char, just try the game and come and make a new one with a name fitting me.

But then I got to level 15 and though, a might as well keep going...

D

Danya

Originally posted by vidx
Usp Agromagnet - Usp was my alt nick in CS when I wanted to play without my clan tag, derived from my expertise with the pistol of the same name.
Heh I used to use Hungry Hippo in TFC when I wanted to not have clan tag... Strangely I didn't use this in DAoC :p

S

SFXman

Saradin Campash - Well, Saracen Paladin from Campacorentin forest who uses slash.
Lother Lifebearer - Well, Lother just sounds sort of godly of heavenly... thus the friar and the Lifebearer last name has the same sense. Lifebearer just makes me think of this staff wielding healing maniac.
Bulls Eye - Self explanatory... you can even make a background story to it if you wish, scout who showed skills from a very early age and thus got this nickname of a sort.
Merciless (no lastname) - Similar to Bulls Eye, can be given a background including a mention of getting this nickname. One could say that in the early stages of his training he already showed ruthless and merciless properties. Crush merc a'la attitude one could say.

K

krait

Randalthor......... Character from WoT books (did'nt know about surnames when i started the game :eek: )
Matcauthon........ Ditto
Krait........ Favourite ship from Elite/Frontier,also a deadly snake (Not very apt ;) )

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by krait
Krait........ Favourite ship from Elite/Frontier,also a deadly snake (Not very apt ;) )

:D

/em remembers nights spent at the BBC micro loading from tape and fighting to Elite Combateer...

Way to go, Commander!!!

:D

O

old.TeaSpoon

Teaspoon - A random name I used when I got disconected from IRC whilst my normal nick (TheSisko) timed out (people called me TS for short). Couldnt have TheSisko, only Thesisko, didnt look right, so Teaspoon it was.

McOneLump - Was bored, and was told it sounded funny at the time ;)

Oh, and I didnt want to be The Sisko either, everyone would be:

"Hi The!"

:p

A

Addlcove

hehe well my story is

Troryn MacGregor - autogenerated + Lairds influence ;)
Bedwina - female version of Bedwin, my old friar on excal, (bedwin is a priest from "The winter king")
Rharcyn - Autogenerated
Sararin Corentin - firstname autogenerated as Sararerin, changed it to Sararin for pronouncability, last name was SFXmans idea ;) (looks quite funny when Sararin and Saradin runs along :))

T

_tindel_

Originally posted by klavrynd
Klavrynd Elkyrsdottir, still don't know how i came up wit that.

Klav baby your name is wonderful :))

G

gervase

Now Gervase....

Simply a name I like and I know of several examples of Brave Gervases who were around in the 17thc at the time of the English Civil Warre.

Wars which funnily enough involved three Kyngdomes......

T

Tiwaz

Tiwaz Thurisaz:

Tiwaz is actually a old germanic name for the god Tyr. Back in my CS days, my nick was Tyr, but I thought it was a little to short.

Thurisaz is one of the nordic runes, and represents the natural forces of thunder and lightning, so I thought the name was fitting for a Thane.

My alt Grimhil Grimstone - well, to me it sounded trollish and somehow huge;)

O

old.ViscountCharles

Roberts DreadPirate - first character, ripping off a classic fantasy film seemed de rigeur ...

Raising Hel - Well, I thought it was funny. He's a spiritmster (patron god, Hel), and raises spirits to fight for him.

Chisel Carvingtool - wanted a runie, he was going to be a carver, Chisel seemed approriate.

I've been known to play the odd Alb. Feel TheUrge. Guess what class he is.

Viscount Charles is, well, just this guy, you know?

My favourite names spotted in Midgard? Well, I was particularly impressed when I saw John Wayne's character, Roo, for the first time.

S

ShiShi

all from Japanese

Shiden - spark of red lightning (she is mana ment btw, muahha)
Shikaku - assasin
Shinokai - nuclear follout (dun ask me why, lol, she needed to go on the ShiXXX line)

take care

S.

O

old.The McScrooges

Weejock - Biggest highlander toon.

People keep calling me Wee though :(

K

kr0n

I took out the world map and found 2 nice names

Layl = Layla is some city

Arvayheer = same thing.

I think... ;)

B

Brannor McThife

Brannor McThife
Brannor taken from Yule Brinnor (sp??), McThife being a play on words, as Brannor is a rogue in my first ever MUD (1994). Mc - being of a clan, an Thife being the switch of the I and E in Thief.

Gluathrong
A name composed a long time ago, can't remember the two names that make it up, except that the first was a really tough warrior, and the second of somebody very loyal.

Kyranos PathFinder
Kyranos was the first ever healer I play in an online game,so I carried over the tradition. Pathfinder was taken from an AD&D book about the Kagonesti elves. Original leader was called Kagonesti Pathfinder, as they were true forest dwellers (native american like) and the one who carried the ram's horn was known as the Pathfinder.

Rolith DeJeun
Rolith was autogenerated (heh, and boy was that funny in OOtKT). DeJeun was selected because I wanted him to be a refined gentleman.

Pwyiw TwoFace
The first name is slightly different from my brother character (Pwylw) who chose the names as he wanted to be of old english/welsh heritage. I picked the surname as while he still played, we always dressed the same. We were all but identical except for a few pixels in character height and those missing in the I vs L.

-G

O

old.SadonTheGrey

Sadon - God knows, just popped into my head

Gelid - Made an ice wizard = name of root line and also them mobs in Midgard frontier

A

arladon

Arladon - Had since my first RPG

Ervander - Came up whit it in Baldurs Gate 1

Alradons - duh..

Natures Wrath - Sounded like a good name for a Druid and then rerolled as a Bard keeping the name(Cause it's good I think)

Officer - Well.... Officer Barbrady from south park was the plan but nah. Officer looks better :)

O

old.Enigma

Well I chose mine by hmmm..... <thinks again and trudges off>

O

old.Enigma

Originally posted by Tiwaz
Tiwaz Thurisaz:

Tiwaz is actually a old germanic name for the god Tyr. Back in my CS days, my nick was Tyr, but I thought it was a little to short.

Damn and I just thought you misspelt it and was missing an 's'

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom