Help My PC keeps resetting/crashing.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
As per thread title.

It only seems to be happening within the first 5 minutes of turning my PC on, it'll either crash where I enter my password, on the desktop, with Chrome running, anything. Then upon booting back up it crashes on my motherboards splash screen and I have to do a hard reset.

I've had to reboot by PC about 5 times in the last 20 minutes trying to get it to steady itself, it seems to be on and working ok now.

I don't think it's overheating, as all the components are running at a reasonable temperature. I haven't installed anything new recently. I'm considering doing a fresh install but I need to get my hands on an external HDD first so back up my music etc.

I know what I've said is vague, but does anyone have any suggestion or similar experiences?

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Ok my PC's been on since my last post.

Would I be right in assuming this is probably software related, as if it were hardware it would still be resetting?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Not necessarily. Could be shorted somewhere. How long since you last cleaned out the inside of the case?

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Not necessarily. Could be shorted somewhere. How long since you last cleaned out the inside of the case?
That's the first thing I done as soon as it started happening, so about 24 hours :p

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Could be a number of things. Power supply, CPU over heating. Does it do it safe mode?

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
It doesn't do it in safe mode. I really don't think its the CPU overheating though, been getting HWMonitor up as soon as I get the PC on to see if the temps are rocketing, it's not happening.

Edmond

Have you run a clean up, something like malwarebytes?

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Just ran Malwarebytes, not a single thing was found.

Edmond

Mine was doing the same thing and it turned out to be a faulty core on the quad CPU, I had to shut it down

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I had a similar issue, in the end I got so pissed off I used it as an excuse to upgrade everything.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Well I've backed all my music/photos etc up, if it starts happening again gonna boot up Ubuntu from a memory stick to see if it still happens. Then just try a fresh Windows install.

And I wish I could afford to start buying all new parts.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Is there anything in the event viewer?

Control panel > Administrative Tools > Event viewer

It could be a memory issue, if you have more than one stick then take one out and see if it still happens (assuming that leaves enough for the PC to run) then do it with the other. If it doesn't post then that is usually the first thing to check.

Perhaps have a bit of a clean out too, get a can of compressed air and clean stuff out then carefully vacuum other parts.

Syri

FH is my second home
If you want to be (reasonably) sure the hardware is ok, you could grab a diagnostic boot disc (I use http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ myself, can stick it on cd or make a bootable USB). can then run memory and cpu tests from there. If the problem only occurs once windows is running though, could well be software, even something as simple as a corrupt file from something shutting down too early or something. If you haven't already tried it, system restore might also be worth a look, just rolls back the system files, but leaves documents and the like alone.
Hope some of this is some use.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I've already attempted a system restore to no luck. I have however got an Ubuntu boot loader (I believe it's called) on a memory stick in case it starts crashing again.

It seems to be working OK today (fingers crosses). The only thing I've done differently is not turn the mains off on a night; my PC turned on and stayed on first time this morning.

@Raven , there's actually quite a lot in my event viewer round about the time it was crashing and rebooting, but honestly a lot of it is total Greek to me. One that seemed to be popping up with each crash/reset was:

"The AODDriver4.2 service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified."

Actually scrap that, that error came up this morning too without it crashing *shrug*

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1105827-aoddriver4-2-service-failed-start.html

Not sure if that is of any help?

Sometimes computers crash with errors, sometimes they get over it.

My old soundcard was flidding out in my new PC sometimes the PC would crash completely sometimes the sound would crash and just make a squealing noise through the speakers/headphones

Ripped it out and just use the onboard sound now.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1105827-aoddriver4-2-service-failed-start.html

Not sure if that is of any help?

Sometimes computers crash with errors, sometimes they get over it.

My old soundcard was flidding out in my new PC sometimes the PC would crash completely sometimes the sound would crash and just make a squealing noise through the speakers/headphones

Ripped it out and just use the onboard sound now.
Just been reading that before my last post, got the link bookmarked in case I need to go back to it :p Done the suggestion on disabling tls1.0 in IE, be amazed if that actually was the problem though. But like a few people have told me, there's no logic to computers what so ever, hah.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Well shit, it's just spazzed out Tron style, made a wild noise through my speakers and blue screened. It reset, I tried to boot in safe mode, and it's blue screened again.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
burn it to a cd, boot off it

will thrash test your ram

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Will have to do it later on tonight or tomorrow, don't think I actually have any blank CD's.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
You can put it on a USB stick which you can boot from. See Download - Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7) *NEW!* here.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
You can put it on a USB stick which you can boot from. See Download - Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7) *NEW!* here.
I don't have a spare USB either! I'm living in technological poverty.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I still haven't attempted memtest, but now sometimes it's failing to recognise my kb and mouse so I can't login etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom