Music Recommendation Thread

shanks

Fledgling Freddie
Artist/Band:
Album:
Genre:
Song: Best song on the Album
Description: What the album sounds like and why it's so good

The whole purpose of this thread is simply just to let the public (the public being the people on this forum) hear of a band/artist that maybe you think dont get as much recognition as they should. Basically a "spread the word" thread. If a Moderator could make this a sticky I think it would be the most use. Ill cut right to it and start it off in class.

shanks

Fledgling Freddie
Artist/Band: Katatonia
Album: Last Fair Deal Gone Down
Genre: Alternative Gothic Metal
Song: Dispossession, Teargas, Tonight's Music
Description: Melancholic, alternative gothic metal with modern sounding production and great melodies. I think a way to describe the lyrics and the way Jonas Renkse sings would be by referring to feelings of depression and isolation without resorting to the sappy "nobody(nobody being parents) likes me buhu" style of lyrics that seems to be the theme for 9/10 nu-metal songs these days, that being said there lyrics are not that advanced but they are however amazing in there simplicity. Although alot catchier in all it's bleakness then most bands of the gothic genre they are in sound sometimes similar to Anathema but abit more grooveoriented. It's hard to label there sound though, it's quite unique. I know this cd went warm in my player when it came out back in 2001. So if you like me enjoy sad music give it a spin. You wont regret it.

"When you have no one, no one can hurt you"

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Okay.

Band: The Sugarcubes
Album: Lifes Too Good
Genre: Icelandic Pop-Funk-Rock
Song: Blue-eyed Pop, Fucking in Rhythm and Sorrow.
Description: The Sugarcubes were the last of Bjork's bands before she ventured into the wild world of soloing, and this was without a doubt their finest production. With Bjork and Einar Orn on Vocals, Bjork with her usual wailing, and Einar adding Crap 80's Icelandic Rap-esque jibberish, this album cannot be considered anything less than a masterpiece. Why? Just, becuase really. It's pop music taken to the limits. Think S-Club 7 with Talent...on acid. Not really much to say about it really, it's just musicians enjoying them selves, not having pressure from a big coporate label, and doing what they want to do. The sheer enthusiam alone is something to marvel at. Anyway, at £6.99 on Play.com, how can you go wrong? :p

Vae

Resident Freddy
Band: Kings of Convenience
Album: Quiet is the new loud
Genre: Acoustic led, Male harmony (Kind of modern folk)
Song: Winning a battle, losing the war, Singing softly to me, I don't know what I can save you from.
Description: Comparisons with Belle & Sebastian and Simon and Garfunkel abound. It's 2 norweigan guys on acoustic guitars playing incredibly beautiful but subtle music. As per the album title the music is quiet which adds to it's elegance and enables the 2 singers vocals and harmonys to stand out clean and clear.

This might not sound like it is to many peoples taste but just give it a try and maybe it'll enchant you too.

Amazon track samples

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
Artist/Band:hell is for heros
Album:the neon handshake
Genre: metal
Song: i can climb mountains
Description:this album kicks ass really good riffs n that i would get it if you havent already

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Artist/Band:Funeral For a Friend
Album:Casually Dressed And Deep In Conversation
Genre: Emo/metal (Something i don't fecking know)
Song: She drove me to daytime television
Description: A new band on the scene but not be underestimated, a very loud and melodic guitar band, excellent riffs and melodies keep you listening to the album more than just once, fast and egergetic, these certainly show that although new, they have excelllent skills on the guitar.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
stubbyrulz said:
Artist/Band:hell is for heros
Album:the neon handshake
Genre: metal
Song: i can climb mountains
Description:this album kicks ass really good riffs n that i would get it if you havent already

What he said. HIFH are always overlooked in favour of 100 Reasons etc. They write great vocals and they do indeed have great tunes. GO BUY IT*

*download(pikey basts!):eek:

Moving Target

Fledgling Freddie
Trem said:
What he said. HIFH are always overlooked in favour of 100 Reasons etc. They write great vocals and they do indeed have great tunes. GO BUY IT*

*download(pikey basts!):eek:

I concur your excellency! I must see them live.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
Sharmaé said:
Artist/Band:Funeral For a Friend
Album:Casually Dressed And Deep In Conversation
Genre: Emo/metal (Something i don't fecking know)
Song: She drove me to daytime television
Description: A new band on the scene but not be underestimated, a very loud and melodic guitar band, excellent riffs and melodies keep you listening to the album more than just once, fast and egergetic, these certainly show that although new, they have excelllent skills on the guitar.

Great choice, Sharmaé. They rock very muchly.

ReActor

Fledgling Freddie
Artist/band: The Roots
Album: Phrenology (2002)
Genre: Hip-hop, soul and a bit of rock.
Song: The Seed
Description: The Roots have always been commended for being an excellent live act (much more exciting than most rappers who just walk up and down the stage high fiving each other every so often) but their albums have always been quite dull, too serious, no fun. Not this one. It starts with a great hip hop song, moves into 20 seconds of thrashing lo fi punk, then a soulful number which Nelly Furtado did vocals for (don't worry, you can't tell it's her), some solid party hip hop, then the most awesome rap-rock song ever (The Seed) and at no point does any of it feel wrong or out of place (and then there's all the other brilliant tracks after that). The production is astonishingly good and the vocals are excellent. The whole thing is unlike any hip hop album I have ever heard. The Roots are far more than any labelling could describe. Get the fucking thing now.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Artist/Band: Nick Drake
Album: Pink Moon
Genre: Folk, singer/songwriter
Song: From The Morning
Description: Beauty in simplicity. The album was recorded in two hours flat and Drake only broke his mantra of total simplicity with a bit of piano on the title track Pink Moon. The album plunges you deep into Drake's depression but ends with the beautifully optimistic and upbeat track From The Morning.

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
Moving Target said:
I concur your excellency! I must see them live.
ive seen them live hey where goood :> infact twas the first band i ever saw ;)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Artist/Band- Nightmares on Wax
Title - Smoker's Delight
Genre - Trip-Hop/Chilled Dance
Essential Tools for Enjoyment - A comfy sofa and a big fat spliff

I've always been a bit non-plussed when it comes to toking CD's, none ever seemed to hit the spot in my opinion. This CD is different. Soft but deep beats, swirly keyboards and well used samples come together to provide the most blissed out smoking album ever. If you toke the herb and want a good CD to accompany your hobby, buy this now.

TedTheDog

Fred's & Barry's co-founder
Jonaldo said:
Drugs are bad, mkay!

:twak:

Anyway....

Artist/Band - Various
Title - A Brief History of Ambience
Genre - Ambient from Hawkwind to Brian Eno to Robert Fripp to Tangerine Dream to Gong, 8 CD (4 x 2CD volumes) collection
Essential Tools for Enjoyment - See Bodhi for assistance
DescriptionSuperb collection thoughtfully put together, doesnt get too samey which is always an issue with this genre, and flits around across the various sub genres to keep you interested, if you're still capable of taking notice.
Volume 1 = 152 Minutes 33 Seconds
Volume 2 = Imaginary Landscapes
Volume 3 = The Music of Changes
Volume 4 = Isolationism

Derric

Fledgling Freddie
Artist/Band:The Sins of Thy Beloved
Album:Lake of Sorrow
Genre:Gothic metal
Song:Until the dark
Description:Gothic metal with violins and mainly female vocals.The music in itself aren't that great,but I think the vocals are beautiful enough to make up for it.

Tindel

Fledgling Freddie
Artist/Band: Hybrid
Album: Wide Angle (1999)
Genre: Trance/Break
Song: Theme from Wide Angle
Description: Still one of the best Albums I have heard, and its from 1999. orchestral, rich vocals and a tempo-filled breakbeat sums this Vinyl up pretty much, rich on melodies with a soft feel and fits most moods :)
-
Artist/Band: Sasha
Album: Airdrawndagger (2002)
Genre: Electronic/Ambient/Breakbeat
Song: Requiem
Description: The perfect album when you want relaxed music with a touch of breakbeat and ambient sounds. Sasha combines a good beat with amazing melodies, ambient touching sounds making this the best chillout album ever imo ;)

Eblessair

Fledgling Freddie
Artist/Band: Cruachan
Album: Folk Lore
Genre: Folk Metal
Song: Bloody Sunday/Ossian's Return
Description: One of the best Folk Metal albums I've got, some quite nice easy listening tracks, along with a few heavier ones. Worth getting.

Artist/Band: Korpiklaani
Album: Spirit of the Forest
Genre: Folk Metal
Song: Wooden Pints
Description: (quoted from the Korpiklaani site) 'KORPIKLAANI (or “Forest Clan“) emerged out of the ashes of Shaman, when the band opted to change its name, along with its musical and lyrical expression. The goal was to move away from Shaman’s trademark use of the Sámi language’s strong, impulsive folk metal, as heard on Idja (1999) and Shamániac (2002) and opt for a stronger and more widely accepted sound.'

If you can get hold of the Wooden Pints video(I have it, and can probably send it if you PM me on IRC(#dragonempires/[PoVal]Eblessair), I dare you not to laugh at the violin player ;))

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Artist/Band: Prefuse 73
Album: One Word Extinguisher
Genre: Math-Hop/Glitch-Hop
Song: Busy Signal (Make you go Bombing Mix)
Description: The most inventive hip hop beats since Stones Throw launched. Scott Heron's Warp signed Prefuse 73 alter-ego is still the leading light in a scene that is dominated by cut up beats and inventive sampling; One Word Extinguisher has all of these in spades and is the best introduction to the genre.

Artist/Band: Aesop Rock
Album: Labor Days
Genre: Hip-Hop
Song: Daylight
Description: The great white hope of Hip Hop's debut album is retro in the style of De La and The Ultramagnetic MCs; intensly personal and yet almost timeless. His rhymes will stay with you long after the last listen and his flow is virtually unmatched nowadays. Hip hop for the brain, not just the dance floor. If you have any interest in hip hop this album is essential.

Artist/Band: Boards of Canada
Album: Music has the Right to Children
Genre: IDM/Chillout
Song: Roygbiv,Happy Cycling
Description: Scotland's Boards of Canada have been making downtempo IDM for 17 years, from their early releases on Music70 to their eventual signing on Warp for their seminal album Music has the Right to Children they have consistantly produced tracks for which the only description is beautiful. Although perhaps not as fully formed as Geogaddi, MhtRtC features some of the most perfect tracks ever made. Give the album some time and hopefully it'll click for you.

RedVenom

Banned
Artist/Band: Man'o'war
Album: Battle Hymns
Genre: Heavy Metal
Song: Man'o'war, or infact any of them.
Description: Amazing 1982 album. Contains everything that good heavy metal needs. Is a must for anyone with any appreciation of the genre.

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
Artist/Band: Nightwish
Album: Wishmaster
Genre: Goth/Metal
Song: She Is My Sin, Wishmaster, Crownless
Description: Nightwish are a Gothic/Operatic Metal band from Finland. They have several albums out, but not a huge following in the UK. If you like your metal loud, melodic and/or with strong female vocals, this band are for you.

I've seen them live at the Fiddler in London, and they were absolutely fantastic. Although "seen" is a misnomer - there were about 600 people in front of me and, as , anyone that's been to the Mean Fiddler knows, there's a step up to the main area. I was standing below that :(. "Heard" might be a better description :D.

Tarja is classically trained, and has an incredible range to her voice, not to mention power - at the beginning of the gig, there was a problem with her mic. You could still hear her, unamplified, above the rest of the band, before they fixed it.

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
Artist : Damian Rice
Album: 'O'
Genre: Contemporary ballads/folk
Song: There isnt one filler on the whole album
Reason: Hails from Gods country (Ireland) and has been around for years and only beginning to receive decent recognition now.

mank!

Part of the furniture
GDW said:
Artist : Damian Rice
Album: 'O'
Genre: Contemporary ballads/folk
Song: There isnt one filler on the whole album
Reason: Hails from Gods country (Ireland) and has been around for years and only beginning to receive decent recognition now.

I've heard a couple of songs by him, I quite like Cannonball. Is the rest of the album in a similar vein?

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
Yes Mank its all much of a similar vein. He has an excellent guest female vocalist (cant remember her name) who sings a couple of the songs on the album as well.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Artist/Band: Opeth
Album: Damnation (2002)
Genre: Sorta gothic stuff (Dunno :p )
Song: Closure
Description: Despite their many first outings with the goth scene including a large amount of their songs with growling and such stuff, this one is more light hearted, ballads per sé, very relaxing as Windowpane and Closure are simply excellent mix of acoustic arpeggio (sp?) and nice rocking eletric guitar riffs, there is absolutely no growling on this at all and makes for some very relaxing and easy listening music.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
I'd call Opeth Doom Metal rather than goth Sharma...anyway :)

Artist/Band: Killing Joke
Album: Extremities, Dirt and Other Repressed Emotions
Genre: Alternative Noise/Industrial (hard to define tbh)
Song: Money Is Not Our God
Description: Killing Joke went from being one of the more innovative second wave of punk bands to top 40 and TOTP appearances. Then they disappeared up their own arses and split in '89. Amazingly they rediscovered and reinvented themselves just two years later and put out this album (Extremities) which wasn't just as good as some of the early stuff it was much BETTER. Strong anti-war, anti-globalisation theme the song Money Is Not Our God is a sharp attack on Conservative Britain. Apart from this its a massive return to form and is a stomping opening track. Age of Greed is recommended too. Killing Joke split up, make a comeback album thats great, then split again on a regular basis. See 2003's self titled album (Killing Joke by Killing Joke duh) as an example. First album in seven years, widely and hugely praised.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Artist/Band: Tom McRae
Album: 2 to choose from, both very good
Genre: Folk/Acoustic?
Song:
Description: I'm no critic, so I'll just say you'll either love him or hate him. Think David Gray, but with more maturity and grit.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Sharma said:
Artist/Band: Opeth
Album: Damnation (2002)
Genre: Sorta gothic stuff (Dunno :p )
Song: Closure
Description: Despite their many first outings with the goth scene including a large amount of their songs with growling and such stuff, this one is more light hearted, ballads per sé, very relaxing as Windowpane and Closure are simply excellent mix of acoustic arpeggio (sp?) and nice rocking eletric guitar riffs, there is absolutely no growling on this at all and makes for some very relaxing and easy listening music.

Opeth are great. I went off metal years ago, but I'll still listen to Opeth. I'm not keen on Damnation and Deliverance, but Blackwater Park is utterly fantastic. I adore the way Mikael Akerfeldt segues in and out of pure metal with beautiful acoustic breaks. My only complaint about Opeth, and the one reason I don't listen to them as much as I should, is that I don't like his growling vocals which is most annoying as I think he can sing very well.

Artist/Band: Belle & Sebastian
Album: Dear Catastrophe Waitress
Genre: Indiepop/twee
Song: I'm A Cuckoo, You Don't Send Me, If You Find Yourself Caught In Love
Description: Old school B&S fans may not like their quite drastic change in direction, but having just got into the band this is my favourite album out of the four I've got. It's upbeat, happy, and it has some completely infectious tunes on it. Noteworthy is that Trevor Horn produced it, whose recent brainchild was Russian 'lesbian' pop duo TaTu. I think.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Xtro said:
I'd call Opeth Doom Metal rather than goth Sharma...anyway :)

Im really really bad at classing music genres so just stuck down the first thing that best suited them really. ;)

TheJkWhoSaysNi

One of Freddy's beloved
Artist/Band: CKY
Album: Volume 1 and Infiltrate Destroy Rebuild
Genre: Punkish metalish skater rock (I dunno really :p)
Song: Flesh Into Gear
Description: a rock band that my friend showed me a few years back I still listen to them very frequently yet many people have not heard of them.

Artist/Band: Flaw
Album: Through the Eyes
Genre: Nu-Metal (I guess, I hate classifying stuff.)
Song: Whole
Description: a metal band with some great songs. Don't have much of a fanbase here in the UK yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom