Music Recommendation Thread

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
mank said:
Artist/Band: Belle & Sebastian
Album: Dear Catastrophe Waitress
Genre: Indiepop/twee
Song: I'm A Cuckoo, You Don't Send Me, If You Find Yourself Caught In Love
Description: Old school B&S fans may not like their quite drastic change in direction, but having just got into the band this is my favourite album out of the four I've got. It's upbeat, happy, and it has some completely infectious tunes on it. Noteworthy is that Trevor Horn produced it, whose recent brainchild was Russian 'lesbian' pop duo TaTu. I think.
I'm a cuckoo is a fantastic song, BUT If you're feeling sinister is still my favourite B$S album. They're cool live, went to see them at the apollo and they did 'I am the resurection' (spelling, mehh :s) as an encore. Also, didn't they win a brit award?

shanks

Fledgling Freddie
Sharma said:
Artist/Band: Opeth
Album: Damnation (2002)
Genre: Sorta gothic stuff (Dunno :p )
Song: Closure
Description: Despite their many first outings with the goth scene including a large amount of their songs with growling and such stuff, this one is more light hearted, ballads per sé, very relaxing as Windowpane and Closure are simply excellent mix of acoustic arpeggio (sp?) and nice rocking eletric guitar riffs, there is absolutely no growling on this at all and makes for some very relaxing and easy listening music.

Opeth goes under the label: progressive death metal on anything except earlier mentioned Damnation which is more progressive rock kinda album, using some extremly nice jazz style drumming and alot of nods to the 70's music influences they have it's probably one of the best if not the best album of 2003 imo. Buy it damn it! :eek:

:twak: For calling em goth Sharma

:wub:

mank!

Part of the furniture
Doh_boy said:
I'm a cuckoo is a fantastic song, BUT If you're feeling sinister is still my favourite B$S album. They're cool live, went to see them at the apollo and they did 'I am the resurection' (spelling, mehh :s) as an encore. Also, didn't they win a brit award?

If You're Feeling Sinister is the album I've listened to least so far, Arab Strap has been getting extensive play and Tigermilk has some great tracks on it, but If You're Feeling Sinister hasn't grabbed me yet.

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
mank said:
If You're Feeling Sinister is the album I've listened to least so far, Arab Strap has been getting extensive play and Tigermilk has some great tracks on it, but If You're Feeling Sinister hasn't grabbed me yet.
It's mostly all along the lines of I'm a cuckoo, if not as good. Bouncy and happy :)D). The standout tracks are 3 (Me and the Major), 7 (Get me away from here I'm, dying) and 8 (Mayfly).

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Artist/Band: Jeff Buckley
Album: Grace
Genre: Melodic Rock I suppose
Song: Halleuigh (sp?)
Description: My dad lent me this album a number of years ago and I instantly fell in love with it. Jeff's voice is amazing and each song on the album still fills me with an intensity of feeling I yet to find from another album. I was waiting for a new album when I discovered that Jeff had died.

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
Artist/Band: The Waterboys
Album: Fishermans Blues
Genre: Irish folk/rock -hard to categorise it was a one off gem
Song: Bang on the Ear, ...no in fact all of it
Description: The Waterboys came to Ireland in the late 80's and produced an absolute one off gem.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Tindel said:
Artist/Band: Hybrid
Album: Wide Angle (1999)
Genre: Trance/Break
Song: Theme from Wide Angle
Description: Still one of the best Albums I have heard, and its from 1999. orchestral, rich vocals and a tempo-filled breakbeat sums this Vinyl up pretty much, rich on melodies with a soft feel and fits most moods :)

Actually, yes. I must second this recommendation.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Artist - The Streets
Album - Original Pirate Material
Genre - ??
Song - Turn the page
Description - Cockneys talking. Skinner spouts some of the best lyrics...ever. Fucking awesome. SHE MUST HAVE CRABS AND FUCKING SHRIMP IN HER TEETH.

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
Artist - The Shins
Genre - indie pop
Song - So Says I
Description - Brilliant lyrics, amazing summery sounding pop songs...often compared to The Beach Boys...but they're less layered and less psychadelic than them.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Artist/Band: Smashing Pumpkins
Album: Adore
Genre: *shrug*
Song: Tear
Description: Don't know what it is but it's like most of the rest of the pumpkins stuff but just mellowed out. Soz, not good with descriptions.

Eblessair

Fledgling Freddie
Artist/Band: Shaman
Album: Idja
Genre: Folk metal/Sámi
Song: It Sat Duolmma Mu
Description: If like the band that rose from the ashes of Shaman(Korpiklaani), then you should love this. Heavy use of the Sámi language throughout the whole of the album, lovely repetitive building riffs, and the vocalist is perfectly suited to the task of yoiking through the entire album. A must get, I think you can order the album from Korpiklaanis website, as for you scourges of the seven seas, its fairly hard to find someone with a copy of this on filesharing networks, but good luck :)

shanks

Fledgling Freddie
Noticed that there has'nt been any activity here in awhile so ill put some recommendations up. Been listening to alot of finnish bands lately since there metal scene does'nt seem stuck up with trying to copy In Flames or At The Gates like the swedish one seem way to caught up with, first out in my recommendations is Rapture, a band not to be mistaken with The Rapture, the NY band that plays some kind of funk rock.

Artist/Band: Rapture
Album: Songs For The Withering
Genre: Doom / Death Metal
Song: Gallows

So, anyone here that likes Katatonia? They made some awsome doom/death records in the middle of the 90s and the moved onto more alternative gothic metal. Well here comes a record that could have been done by earlier mentioned group if they didnt change direction. It's not original, it's totally copying someone elses sound actually but since that sound has been abandoned for something else by those that made it in the first place atleast I welcome that someone still plays it, and when it's this good who would argue?

So if you like me adore everything Katatonia did in the 90's, go pick it up. :worthy:

BossHogg

Fledgling Freddie
Band: The Killers
album: Hot Fuss
genre: cure-esque 80's pop
song: Mr Brightside

Las Vegas foursome who completely blew me away when i caught them supporting Jet, catchy tunes, great lyrics and the nuttiest drummer i have seen in a long while add up to a whole lotta fun.

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
Man are we allowed to Veto these recomendations? The Killers are fucking appauling 'retro' emo with synths and a whinging singer who talks about other guys boning his ex-girlfriend. Dude should just stop behaving like a pussy and maybe he wouldn't get dumped in the first place.

</buddyhead style rant>

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
No your not, how anyone can veto anyone elses musical taste/recommendation is beyond me. I personally like the Killers.

If all your gonna do is insult peoples reccomendations then stfu, fuckin music snobs.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Band - The Libertines
Album - Up The Bracket
Tracks - Time for Heroes, Good old Days, Death on the Stairs
Genre - punky stuff

yeah, just buy it. Doherty & Barat are the new Strummer & Jones.

I get along just singing my song, people tell me im wrong.....

Fuck 'em.

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
Bullitt said:
No your not, how anyone can veto anyone elses musical taste/recommendation is beyond me. I personally like the Killers.

If all your gonna do is insult peoples reccomendations then stfu, fuckin music snobs.

It was rhetorical question. VEto! Veto! Veto! The Killers fucking suck ass!

ReActor

Fledgling Freddie
maxi said:
It was rhetorical question. VEto! Veto! Veto! The Killers fucking suck ass!

The world is against you maxi. The Killers rock.

Misleath

Fledgling Freddie
Band - Teitur
Album - Poetry & Aeroplanes
Tracks - Josephine
Genre - Singer & Songwriter

Awesome s/s from Faeroe Islands. Recommend that you give it a try if you are into s/s : )

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Band : Mother Earth
Album : People Tree
Tracks : Stardust Bubblegum / Mr Freedom / Institution Man
Genre : Acid Jazz

Don't let the genre put you off - great band :)

mank!

Part of the furniture
Artist/Band: Sonic Youth
Album: Daydream Nation
Genre: Errr...They should have their own. I suppose they're experimental indie/art rock types.
Song: Teen Age Riot
Description: If you have any interest in music that is creative, inventive, fast paced, flowing, mind-blowing and just really fucking good then get this album.

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
ReActor said:
The world is against you maxi. The Killers rock.

Not the entire world, Reactor. 'All These Things That I Have Done' sounds like a very poor Spiritualised cover.

Here's one that everyone should have a listen to. Not by any means new, but a 'must have' none-the-less:

Artist: The Specials
Album: More Specials

Surprsingly difficult to find. It seems that record shops prefer to stock their 'Best' hits albums instead of the actual studio recordings. A shame as this album is superb and merits listening from start to finish.

It sold bucket loads when it was released so you have a good chance of picking it up second-hand.

Vae

Resident Freddy
Artist: ES Posthumus
Album: Unearthed
Genre: Um... Think Soundtrack music so Instrumental/Classical/Electronic/Choral
Song: Try Antissa, Harappa or Nara
Description: The best soundtrack album that never was. It's beasutiful background music but also wonderful to listen to. Each song gives a different experience. I really advise you to give it a try. All tracks are available as samples on this link:
http://esposthumus.com/buy.html

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Artist: Aloof, The
Album: Sinking / Seeking Pleasure
Genre: Chillout
Song(s): One Night Stand, Last Stand / What I Miss The Most, Alone
Description: Best two albums to ever bring a (over the top) house party to an abrupt end. :)

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
Artist/Band: Lamb of God
Album: Ashes of the wake
Genre: Thrash / Death metal
Song: Hmm hard, but Hourglass and Break You are my favorites.
Description: I guess their music would go under thrash/death metal as its kinda a mixture... similar style to The Haunted maybe. So far since the band changed from their old name they have had 3 albums out, this being the 3rd.. basically they are just getting better and better. The singing has improved alot from the 1st album, Randy Blythe has imo one of the best voices outa any metal bands around at the mo. This 3rd album seems to have been recieved quite well by everyone and got good reviews etc, go help out one of the best bands around atm by buying it... maybe oneday we can have decent stuff like this in the charts instead of fucking D12 etc :p

ReActor

Fledgling Freddie
Gurnox said:
Not the entire world, Reactor. 'All These Things That I Have Done' sounds like a very poor Spiritualised cover.

Gotta admit, I wrote that before hearing the album, and since then I've gone off them a bit. I agree with the NME - they said "the Killers have made half the album of the year".

Anyway, recommendation!

Artist/Band: Various
Album: Philosomatika. It's actually a streaming radio station.
Genre: Goa/psychedelic trance
Song: Many of them
Description: It's just a really good dance music station. Broadcasts 24/7 with the latest in goa and psytrance which is, in my opinion, the best genre in dance music (though it seems to have been completely out of fashion for ages). Also, it's free (though they are in serious need of donations at the moment)! Have a listen.

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
Artist/Band: Nada Surf
Album: Let Go
Genre: Alternative (Hard to classify, most of it is pretty mellow, indie-pop?)
Song: Inside of Love
Description: I'm not much of a reviewer so i'll nick someone elses. "Mature mix of intelligent guitar tunes and acoustic noodling, teeming with joyful desperation." Tis an class album, not a bad track on it.

PS. The Killers are excellent!

Alliandre

Fledgling Freddie
Band: Iced Earth
Album: Horror Show
Genre: Metal
Song: Damien, Jekyll & Hyde, Transylvania

Iced Earth are a very heavy and quick band, similar in some ways to Iron Maiden, though heavier. They have a habit of making themed albums. The Horror Show album is just amazing. It has great lyrics and some extremely nice music.

Band: Atmosphere
Album: God Loves Ugly
Genre: Rap
Song: Saves The Day

A good rap album that has some brains behind it.

Litmus

Resident Freddy
Artist/Band: Led Zeppelin
Album: The Song Remains The Same(dont think they ever released it on CD. but on DVD.)
Genre:Classical Rock
Song: No Quater/Since I've Been Loveing You
Description:
These songs come from a live concert they did in Madison Square Garden back in 1973. Comeing from led zep probaly the most musicaly talented band ever to walk to earth. The songs have maybe the best guitar solo's I've ever heard by far which make you wanna jump up and play the air guitar :p.

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
Band: The Dillinger Escape Plan
Album: Miss machine
Genre: Metal
Song: Phone home, Highway robbery, Panasonic youth
Description: All the songs on this album are amazing and each have very different sounds to them. Fast, catchy, brutal, screamy and then 1 or 2 softer bits thrown in aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom