Music Recommendation Thread

leggy

Probably Scottish
Bullitt said:
No your not, how anyone can veto anyone elses musical taste/recommendation is beyond me. I personally like the Killers.

If all your gonna do is insult peoples reccomendations then stfu, fuckin music snobs.

No no you are mistaken. Pitchfork say they are shit so it must be true. I am not a fan myself but I like Mylo so I have no say :)

Bloop

Fledgling Freddie
Artist/Band: The Blood Brothers
Album: Crimes
Genre: Er....I really don't know. It's a sort of mishmash of everything.
Song: Crimes is currently my favourite, but Love Rhymes With Hideous Car Wreck is another.
Description: As I said, it's kind of a mish mash of alot of genres. The lead singer sounds as if he's just inhaled a load of helium, which in turn makes the generic screamy thing of metal sound completely off the wall, and the combination of singing styles works well with the band. I have to admit one or two tracks seem on first listen a little samey, but the rest is excellent.

hansteam

Fledgling Freddie
Rock and Roll by Led Zeppelin

If you know the band you probably know the song, it's a nice 12 bar blues deal. Sweet song my band plays it and the drunks at the clubs go nuts.

shanks

Fledgling Freddie
Artist/Band: Logh
Album: Every Time a Bell Rings, an Angel Gets his Wings
Genre: Post-Rockish, Indie rock?

Indie is usually a word that makes me flee the car, often kicking and screaming but when someone actually manages to trap me somewhere before saying what it is they just put into the cd player of there car and it turns not to be horrible I think it makes me a better and more open person.

That's what happend with this cd, it's the summer of 2004 and I had actually dragged my fat arse out of the house long enough to get quite drunk and therefore able to attain some new experiences in the "all females are evil" department. It's late and the designated driver (the guy that see's the least fingers when holding up just one) and me sit down in his quite shitty car and drive the miles home from the house we had been at. Anyone familiar with Sweden during the summertime know that the sun basically sets for... about an hour or two every night and most of the night is drenched in a incredible sort of twillight which gives a really cool light. The perfect setting for getting melancholic like hell. So my friend who's considerably more sober then me throws on this album and puts on track 2: Logh - Yellow Lights Mean Slow Down.. And for you that have'nt heard this song, this is probably the most perfect driving home in a swedish summer dawn ever written.

Well, enough nostalgia, what the hell does it sound like?

Hard to answer really, it's sort a slow, melancholic, creepingly angsty (not the buhu my parents dont love me shit, im talking grown up stuff) pretty guitardriven mellow rock with a few country/bluesy (guitar) influences with incredible atmosphere. I mean just listen for the what I can make out "pinball machine" before the solo in the above mentioned song, a simple detail that fits oh so well into the song and enriches it's atmosphere. Oh, and did I mention how wellplayed this? The first songs are definatly the best of the album, tracks like yellow light, In Cold Blood and The Passage are solid songs. Later the cd indulges in odder activites as for example there own take on sigur ros and maybe a little godspeed you black emperor at times which can drive people away, but dont worry it's done quite well and I guess that it's just a sign of there development as a band since this was there first album. So, if you want some post-rock, low-fi rock with that certain special nordic melancholy why not give Logh a listen. Im glad I got trapped in that car atleast. :)

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Not been much activity on here for a bit so I think i'll add my part.

Artist: Moby
Album: Hotel
Genre: Mix

I couldn't think of anything else to put in the genre besides mixed, since this album has an amalgamation of multiple styles of music, ranging from acoustic guitar riffs, to dance to gospel, the opening tracks are quite bouncy to say the least, my favourite track so far is "Where you end"

It's quite a different album to his previous efforts, it's a lot more polished per se, Moby seems to have worked a bit more on his music formula so while being different per se, it's still in Moby's line of music creation, so its not radically different but it still is different if you catch my drift. ;)

It's quite a good album to relax to, since the more upbeat tunes are still the tracks you can dance to bbut also the ones you can stick on during a late night chilling session.

Great album, I suggest buying it if youre a fan of Moby. ;)

Alternatively, if you're wanting to have a taster of his music, i'd definately suggest "Play" to get the jist of how his music sounds.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Artist - John Legend

Album - Get Lifted

Song - I Can Change ft Snoop Dogg

Fantastic album really enjoyed it. great for chilling out to.

Artist - James Blunt

Album - Back to Bedlam

Song - You're Beautiful

Another great album for just kicking back and relaxing to.

And last but not least

Artist - Gavin Degraw

Album - Chariot

Single - Chemical Party

Fucking awesome album filled with a selection of cool songs some that will make you smile some that will make you feel sad.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Artist: Big Black
Album: The Rich Man's Eight Track Tape
Songs: Kerosene, Ready Man, Cables (Live)

Its amazing what a bunch of geeks and a drum machine can do. This is without doubt one of the best Post-Punk albums (or at least collection of) I have ever heard. Its absolutely brutal in every respect. Lyrics ranging from an incestious town in america to domestic violence not portrayed in a bad way, just snippets of different peoples way of life, observations, stories etcetc. Coupled with probably the most abrasive guitar wall of sound ever, low and dirty bass and a drum machine that pounds your head with every beat certainly makes you listen. Ive had this album for years and I always get it out when im in the mood for an intelligent thrashing around the ears.

The lead singer/guitarist Steve Albini is best known for his production work on albums such as Surfer Rosa, In Utero (engineering :p ) but was also founder of 2 other great bands, namely Rapeman and Shellac. All of his work is of a very highly acquired taste but its intelligent, thoughtful and down right aggressive.

Taster.

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
He also produced The Wedding Presents best album! (Seamonsters)

I've only heard Kerosene, but it is amazing. I keep forgettuing to check them out further.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
maxi said:
He also produced The Wedding Presents best album! (Seamonsters)

I've only heard Kerosene, but it is amazing. I keep forgettuing to check them out further.

He also produced some gay Bush album. Apperently the wad of money waved in front of him was too much to ignore :p.

Anyways, I have a rather extensive Albini collection, 200+ tracks if you need help etc gimme a buzz!

XeffoInfil

Fledgling Freddie
Little update!

Band: Trivium
Album: ANY (Ascendancy, Ember to Inferno)
Songs: Pull harder on the strings of your martyr, Ember to inferno, any!
Genre: Metal \m/

Talented metal band from the US, singer is only 19, listen to his voice o_O

some samples can be listened to here: http://www.purevolume.com/trivium

jacky_yao

Fledgling Freddie
rock&roll

:drink: i like rock&roll

*** Please don't try and use these forums for site promotion... thx. - Jup.

mank!

Part of the furniture
the arcade fire album is fucking ace. get it.

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
Pitbulls in the nursery - Lunatic

Anyone who likes metal should have it. ;D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom