Most skilled guild? Can it be answered?

B

Belomar

As everyone knows, the BW RvR forum is filled with whines, flames, personal attacks and similar things. However, most of the threads here (except possibly the zerg ones) seem to boil down to one thing: Who is the most skilled player/group/guild/realm? However, as everyone knows, this is a difficult question to answer, if not impossible. All the realms are different and have different strengths and weaknesses, and at any patch, there is always a realm that is going to be the "best". Balance in a game like this is impossible to achieve.

Given these conditions, it would seem that determining which guild is the most skilled one is impossible. Impossible, that is, unless GOA or Mythic would allow us to switch realms at random, or duel whole groups of the same realm. However, knowing GOA and Mythic, this will never happen.

Does this mean all is lost? Fortunately, no! A number of DAoC server emulators are starting to appear on the Internet, and a few of them have come pretty far in development by now! Take a look at Dawn of Light and CoADServer, two such emulator projects:

- http://dolserver.sourceforge.net/
- http://www.coadserver.com/

(Of these two, Dawn of Light looks the most promising since it is Open Source, allowing anyone to modify it.)

Using a "personal" DAoC server, it would be possible for RvR guilds to challenge each other on even terms and with no fear of other players intervening. They could set up two enemy groups with players according to their "live" stats (RPs, specs, items, RAs, etc) to allow for uninterrupted dueling. It would even allow the guilds to switch realms, or even play against each other in the same realm! No more unanswered questions about the skills of a guild. :)

(Disclaimer: To my knowledge, neither of these two projects are "illegal" and is, to my knowledge, in no way associated with cheats or similar.)

B

bracken_woodman

"Skill" is virtually impossible to measure in this game. To be honest, if you wanted to test "skill" in real terms you would need to have the various groups competing with exactly the same set ups - both in terms of in game classes, ras etc and the rl factors, such as pcs they are using, connection, communication software (such as TeamTalk) and so on. Only by players competing with exactly the same tools could you really test "skill" in any meaningful way. Anything else is just virtual navel gazing.

C

censi

:) nice post.

I think theres a few player that wouldnt like the idea of their opponents still standing after pressing their style button 2 times.

R

Rollie

the most skilled are usually the ones who dedicate more time, pretty much like with all things.

C

cougar-

Originally posted by censi
:) nice post.

I think theres a few player that wouldnt like the idea of their opponents still standing after pressing their style button 2 times.

you even know that hib can make realy good groups? guess not

M

marchegiani

Originally posted by Rollie
the most skilled are usually the ones who dedicate more time, pretty much like with all things.

So i take it u have only spent 20 minutes playin DAoC and even less playin footy????

:D

C

chosen

been trying COADserver the last days they did patch it for a day ago to so we can add mobs morph to one etc really cool with a mentalist level 100 etc :p

R

Rollie

Originally posted by marchegiani
So i take it u have only spent 20 minutes playin DAoC and even less playin footy????

shut it noob :D

B

bracken_woodman

Originally posted by Rollie

LOL....so by that reckoning Dion Dublin is more skillful than Michael Owen....just as I always suspected! :p

O

o_O

hehe, moreso then skill DAoC is about class matchups.

E

Ekydus

1 extra point in a stat compared to your next rival is hardly skill.

R

Rollie

Originally posted by bracken_woodman
LOL....so by that reckoning Dion Dublin is more skillful than Michael Owen....just as I always suspected! :p
no villa player is good :p

but as with most things the more you practice the better you get, beckham's free kicks for an example, he has trained after practice for hours since he was very young, now probably the best free kick taker in the world :)

Dwain chamber's is another example, no one can inject steroids as good as him atm :)

anyhows this rule is an exception to all villa players who suck :D

A

AbPoon

I think that Outlaw and Zoysters group are the most skilled in daoc they just rox

X

Xeanor

NP because their GM is rr10 irl!!!1!1

rr10xana.jpg

D

Deletium

i've been trying coadserver ...

but when i start the: Startpatch.bat i get a "common language runtime debugging services"

and it says: Application has generated an exception that could not be handled....

ANY idea how i fix this... also .. when i try runnin DOL ..

I start up all the servers.. and copy the new login.dat, update.dat, camelot.exe into my camelot directory.. but when i start camelot.exe game just freezes...

K

K0nah

until they bring out an expansion where u can instantly build any rr10 lvl50 u want and spec and ra them as u wish, fight fg v fg vs any realm, including your own, the answer will never be known.

D

Driwen

konah dont forget getting best armour+weapons available +procs/reactives ;).

B

Belomar

Well, keep an eye on DOL or CoadServer, maybe it will be possible soon to stage these kinds of tests. NP could face FC, both of them playing FotM Mid grps with R10 Savages and so on, and then the same with Alb and Hib groups. Then all those questions could be answered.

B

Belomar

Originally posted by K0nah
until they bring out an expansion where u can instantly build any rr10 lvl50 u want and spec and ra them as u wish, fight fg v fg vs any realm, including your own, the answer will never be known.
Umm, if you had read my post, then you would have perhaps understood that this is exactly what I was talking about.

G

grimster

Poon has to be the most unskilled flamer alive, not to mention the most ....retarded person I heard of.

Anyway, skills do come off of time played no question about it.

altho Daoc seriously lack in terms of "player skill" in general.
Items+RR is all you need to do good ...FG is another matter tho but not really too challenging skillwise.

F

Forau

Originally posted by K0nah

Yea, that being the entire point. Anthing else while you're at it genius?

K

K0nah

Originally posted by Forau
Yea, that being the entire point. Anthing else while you're at it genius?

yeh, currently midgard requires the least skill ;)

O

old.krane

Currently with the asd bug which gets BUGFIXED next patch and the savage class midgard is by far the easiest to play atm...

Currently imo hibs have the hardest time.....

Guess why np not playing hib/pryd any more...

B

Belomar

Now, now, boys and gals, this was not a thread about who is the most skilled guild, this was a thread about how to find out who is the most skilled guild. :)

Z

zmurf

Originally posted by old.krane
Currently imo hibs have the hardest time.....

Guess why np not playing hib/pryd any more...

Join the circus, afaik they allways need ppl who can talk out of their ass for the freak-show ...

Ever considered the possibility ppl get borred of the game ? naaa it didn't, cause then u wouldn't have an excuse to flame and generalize ppl anymore ...

O

old.Nol

It will be fun to see how the community can tweak the game based on our experiences with playing it rather then Mythic's weird logic.

Reminds a bit of the Zulu Hotel UO shard :D

C

censi

rr10xana.jpg

seems like every single women in the club has their back turned on them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom