More Royal Mail action planned!

-J-

Loyal Freddie
Just a quick heads up to all those people that posted in the last thread about the Post Office, there is going to be more industrial action towards the end of the month. Details can be found here.

Please note the .doc file posted at the bottom of the page with detailed information regarding said Strike action.

Comments and suggestions welcome, just remember I'm one of the nobody's working there!

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
you would think with so many people out of jobs and people coming over from the EU (Pol's) that this type of behaviour would be a thing of the past.

why do Royal Mail care anyway, isn't the mail system going to change soon? :(

taB

Part of the furniture
Yeah it's just pushing customers away and when other options are open to people, they'll use them.

Shame they'll be shit too.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
One of the reasons the Royal Mail isn't that great (although I'm quite happy with it) is precisely because of the numbers of temporary workers they have who don't know the areas they deliver to, and who don't give a shit.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
So, postal workers are finally having to realise that they exist in a commercial world with competition and that there will be a need to adjust and change.

How do they deal with this? By proving that they can? By each worker demonstrating a willingness to adapt to the new market which they find themselves in? By accepting inevitable new working practices? Nope, they punish the public, the economy, and get a few days off in the summer.

Wankers the lot of them. It's time that people like postal workers realised that for the rest of us, we have to work hard, we have to adapt to changing conditions, things don't always stay the same, and no one is entitled to a job that doesn't change for their entire lives anymore. The world doesn't work that way. Frankly if they don't like it, sack the fuckers. These changes are not down to bad management, they are changes which are necessary and it has taken good management to realise this. The Royal Mail no longer has a monopoly. If it doesn't change it's practices, then the whole lot of them will be out of work permanently before long. Instead of choosing to take themselves out of work for a few days while the weather is nice.

This is just more union led bollocks. I for one hope that the management stay strong and don't back down at all. The best thing for the country is an effective, competitive mail market and frankly, if Royal Mail don't provide it, someone else will step up in their place.

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
The CWU has a long history and a lot of the postal workers are old skool when it comes to strikes. They probably see it as their last attempt and forcing a change they want.

Problem is strikes probably won't work this time because (A) its no longer a monoploy, (B) Royal Mail needs to moderised now or face being wiped off the face of the postal map. i.e. management can't afford to budge on this.

One thing I would say though is don't take it out on the posties. I know they seem like easy targets, but a large portion do not want strikes, but when a strike is on they have to or face being called "scabs" and sunned by their work mates for the rest of their working life.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
They are fighting a losing battle, the management aren't going to back down, because they can't! What do they expect to do, the government won't bail them out and the company is being out competed by market forces.

Chilly

Balls of steel
every time they strike, they lose more public trust and respect - although im not sure they have any left these days. From my pov (a regular fella who uses the post every now and then) it kind of works. My mate buys a lot of records off ebay (reggae) and he actually decided it was not worth the risc of using the royal mail as he lost about 1/10 records sent to him. TEN FUCKING PERCENT!!!!!!! Any other normal business that didnt have the luxury of a near monopoly and vast guaranteed income would have sacked/shot/reorganised/whatever by now else theyd have lost all their custom.

So why is it that we, the people who buy the goddam stamps, only ever see shit from the RM? Dont get me wrong, it works ok for me, but my friend has lost money and records due to a seller unwillingness to believe a mail sorter stole the record (where else would it go? its not as if its a tiny postcard that might get lost). He has now decided to drive to his main supplier every few weeks and collect his loot - round trip of 120 miles into brum - because its cheaper than a courier and SAFER than using the normal mail.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
What Gumbo said. Although SAS is right, you cannot blame every postie. I have a friend who does not care about the strike action, he would rather work, and a distant cousin who goes on and on about fucking scabs working the strike.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
meh, if you dont like what you get paid get another job

Tom

I am a FH squatter
My postie is fine, she delivers the mail around the same time each day.

I've never had a parcel go missing with recorded delivery. Ever.

Personally I'm quite happy with the service, although I did have to send them a letter telling them I didn't want hand-delivered junk.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Took them 30 days to reply to my claim for lost recorded delivery mail (well, ebay item) and the letter received after that 30 days says "we'll aim to have the issue resolved in up to 3 months".

Nice. Steal my money/goods, keep it as long as possible and give a pisspoor excuse for it.

I love the post office, really.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Here we go again. I suppose it's an attempt to push Gordon Brown into a corner when he's about to call a snap election. It'll be difficult to get all the postal voting forms out in time with strikes going on. I just hope they don't cave under pressure, and that the workers realise that their union leaders are going to cost them their jobs in the future as this could be the end of Royal Mail entirely.

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
There are always small positives: (from a BBC viewer comment):

"Woo-hoo! A week without junk mail, credit card applications, loan offers and other shredder fodder!"

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Hehe, I guess that's true. Most of our income here arrives in cheque form from customers through the post though at the moment. So I'm looking at 6 days with no income whatsoever to speak of. It's a pain in the arse and certainly doesn't garner much sympathy for the postal employees from me.

soze

I am a FH squatter
The company is losing £3mil a week and they want pay rises its unreal do they want more and more cash untill they actually go bust and they all lose the jobs.

I am normally more supportive but my copy of 300 on Blu Ray did not show up this morning so i now hate play.com posted Monday and not here and i hate Royal Mail posted Monday and not here :)

Damini

Part of the furniture
The number of Christmas/birthday cards I recieved and my family recieved that were ripped open, and then forwarded on in jiffy bags is disgusting, let alone post going missing and post going to the wrong address. Royal Mail used to be something you could trust, and now it doesn't even have a good reputation. You don't get your mail in the mornings any more. I for one don't care anymore what happens to them.

Embattle

FH is my second home
My mail is always fine, but I don't support this action in any way and in reality they, like the UK car industry did many decades ago, are going to strike there way into non existance.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Royal Mail managed to lose some rather urgent documents I sent with recorded first class delivery a month ago so that none to pleased me. Can't see what the unions expect? They are trying to squeeze blood out of a stone, if anything they are speeding up the demise of the company and their jobs.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Every time they strike they lose more business to TNT et al. Every time that happens they increase the financial pressures on the firm and the liklihood that they will be sacked. Fuck the lot of them, let the market sort it out (and you can bet it will, with rival postal operators grabbing marketshare by the bucketload).

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
2 DVDs not received this month. My payslip gone, my credit card statement ripped open.

Fck 'em.

Kryten

Old Cow.
All the CWU members.
Morons.
The lot of them.
Mindless sheep.

How difficult is it to realise the simple truth - keep striking, put Royal Mail in even more shit than they were before, putting their jobs in even more danger. On one hand, with the popularity of messenging software, text and email, it's obvious that snail mail has declined by a huge percentage. But not all of it, it's not all bad. Bank letters, letters to important people, interviews, parcels etc - still all a mainstay. And of course, Fucking Junk Mail. And of course they're subsidising themselves even more with loans, insurance, general credit etc - stuff they didn't have 20 years ago.
But losing them even more business isn't helping anyone. I'm afraid although I can sympathise with the upset of losing local branches (yeah it's bad but if you can't afford to run them...) but still. their wages? Grow up, find another job if you're not happy with it.
So, unfortunatley, I'm going to lump the CWU members involved with the sheepish morons that sat outside Northern Rock branches too long ago.
Idiotic. Causing more problems than there were to start with giving them even MORE to complain about in future.

Perhaps they just like striking.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Its Friday, the rugbys on, easy choice.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
I say sack 'em all and lets get some robots in to do it for free.

Failing that we could allways use a few eastern europeans :kissit:.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
What kryten said. THey are just doing more longterm harm to the company. Whether happens now more customers have been loss to their rivals.

The postal workers fully deserve whatever they get for their shortsightedness.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I say sack 'em all and lets get some robots in to do it for free.

Failing that we could allways use a few eastern europeans :kissit:.

Thats what the want to do lose 50 people doing sorting and get 5 machines and 10 people reducing cost and increasing profit. But like said they will eventually end up losing all customers. How long untill its Business Post every morning not royal mail.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Can't really complain about the post where I live. Things arrive on time, nothing opened, nothing lost. Post woman is nice and friendly. I don't get any junk mail (mps, and also I unsubscribed from the postie-hand-delivered mail).

The problem with the Royal Mail IMO is that its a relic.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The problem is that it is a relic and the employees are unwilling to let it evolve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom