More newb questions (sorry)

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Since Hibernia seems to be more magic centered it looks like the perfect Realm for me.

The classes I am most interested in:
Valewalker
Eldritch

Other interesting classes:
Champion
Enchanter
Vampiir

Of course, since it is my first character and I won't know any people around here, a class which is pretty good on their own would be beneficial.

All those classes are great by themselves or in groups. Either the Valewalker or Eldritch are great choices. Both can do masses of damage and have lots of other fancy tricks although you need to be careful you don't die. The eldritch will be slightly more popular for RvR groups.

Thadius is right that the vampiir is probably the easiest to get started with but the other classes aren't hard either. The champion is very straight forward to get the hang of and is very powerful in RvR, the enchanter is a solid class and one of the best in PvE because of its pet. (And probably the fastest class to level)

Melfice

Fledgling Freddie
What about the Animist?
That guy sounds like lots of fun.

Well I still probably end up trying out half a dozen of classes, which is probably the best way to go.

Melfice

Fledgling Freddie
Oh and one very important point I forgot.
Crafting.

Does it have a huge impact on the game?
Or is it just serving to make leveling easier and providing gear and bonuses for entering endgame content?

What should I choose?
What shouldn't I choose, since others can provide me easily with that?

Thadius

Part of the furniture
What about the Animist?
That guy sounds like lots of fun.

Well I still probably end up trying out half a dozen of classes, which is probably the best way to go.

Yea, animists are mainly for pve, or keep sieges where you put up your shrooms and go hide somewhere till the bad guys go away ;)

They changed crafting since I last played, I used to go as a flecther in order to salvage drops to make money!

Plus woodworking skill gives you rps for fixing keep walls.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Thadius, Animist have changed alot since you last played.

Animists are very reasonable in RvR. The main ability they have is to be able to do an awful lot of damage in a short space using their bombers + lifetaps. They have some pets (called shrooms because they look like giant mushrooms) but they are now limited to 5 of them at anyone time. There was a time when they were limited to 15 and before that there was no limit so there was some insane things you could do with them.

Crafting is a bit different from most newer games. You won't earn any money while crafting as you level up. But once you have maxed out your crafting you can make money. However crafting isn't a priority because you will be able to buy crafted stuff very cheaply once you are max level.

But if you must craft go for Armour crafting, Tailoring or Spell crafting.

Melfice

Fledgling Freddie
This far the game looks... pretty confusing.
The server you recommended me Cadelin, are you playing there yourelf?

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
This far the game looks... pretty confusing.
The server you recommended me Cadelin, are you playing there yourelf?

I am afraid I play on the Germans servers now. (I live in Switzerland so can read a bit of German)

Every game is confusing to begin with but there are quite alot of good instructions to begin with.

If you need some help I would suggest going for a lurikeen, eldritch take the computer recommendation for where to put your bonus starting stats. Once you are an eldritch I would recommend putting your spec points in Void this will give you some nice nukes and some bolts which you can use to level quite quickly. Once you have got to level 10 or so on your first character things should start making more sense but feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

Melfice

Fledgling Freddie
Too bad.
Well then I will have to overcome these problems myself (somehow).

Could you tell me if there is an Ingame description of the spells an abilities?

Thadius

Part of the furniture
hmm, yea. But for a better outlook, just ask. Or look on camelot allakazam :)

I only playered hero/druid/chanter on hibland, so I cant really say anything else about other classes. Albion was my realm :)

Allakhazam.com: Dark Age of Camelot

Just found that when I was seeing if it was still up

Melfice

Fledgling Freddie
Well I've already done some quest with my Valewalker and I think I'm going to be fine.
Thanks for everything, both of you.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
You can get a brief description of what spells and things by right clicking on the spell (or maybe its shift+right click!)

I would also recommend downloading the DaoC Character Planner. This will tell you loads about each class.

There is a good FAQ answering basic questions about the Valewalker on VN boards.

I have a VW although I am not an expect he is lvl 50 and rr5L8 so I know a bit about how to play them.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Well I've already done some quest with my Valewalker and I think I'm going to be fine.
Thanks for everything, both of you.

dont forget to go to a guard and say /task upto level 20 :)

Pluse you can always go into the instanced dungeons for some exp :)

Amiga

Can't get enough of FH
Just use /advice in game for questions imo.. Its probably faster to get help there instead of asking every question in this thread =)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
It prevents the game in ending up in a PvP-whinefest.

ahahahahahahahahaaa

sorry but you have no idea.. :) read around a tad on the rvr boards. the pvp whines here can easily rival the WoW boards :)

(added a t to your quote as i figured u missed it)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
However crafting isn't a priority because you will be able to buy crafted stuff very cheaply once you are max level.

Cheap for a long term player maybe. certainly not for someone that just dinged 50 and maybe only have 5p in his pockets :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Cheap for a long term player maybe. certainly not for someone that just dinged 50 and maybe only have 5p in his pockets :)

If you do Melt The Ice/Dousing the Flame (bubble quest from 40-50), then the CL quests up to where you defend the King you could have 10-15 plat easy I reckon.

jedspeedy

Fledgling Freddie
If you do Melt The Ice/Dousing the Flame (bubble quest from 40-50), then the CL quests up to where you defend the King you could have 10-15 plat easy I reckon.

Yep did it many moons ago easy made 15 plat from 40-50

L

LordGreySeer

More newb questions

Hail you old camelotians!!

I am a player returning after a 3 year stay in other games and I have a few questions, since I barely recognise the game as it is today and have forgotten everything I used to know :)

Read most of this thread and found some good advice.

1) Should I play on a EU server or an NA server? It seems that a lot of you guys are in the NA, how is the population during prime EU times? Which server should I pick (not really getting how this multiple Ywain servers work)?

2) Is there any RP going on, on if so, is there any place I can find a guild list with potential RP-guilds?

3) It seems that Hibernia is the most underpopulated side? So I will be joining them (my old realm any way) but which class should I pick to be effective in RvR... I generally like to play a Tank or a Healer, and I am liking the look of the Minotaur.

4) and finally... are there any WAR refugees around, who gave up on Mythics newest "RvR" game? :)

All help would be greatly appreciated.

M

Mklp

Another Returning Player

First of all - Happy New Year to everyone :)

I last played daoc on Camlann (aug healer) perhaps 4/5 months after TOA was released - and I'm back to give it another go! (downloading the US trial now)

From what I have read on the forums, Hib is less "new player" friendly so I'm leaning towards Alb/Mid.

I'm not looking for solo play so I definitely need a class that is in demand for groups (and even accepted at low rr), and able to solo pve (level) 'reasonably' for when groups are scarce. . . im thinking support type role (ccer/healer)?

Any suggestions of what realm/class is going to suit me? I'll be online every evening during the trial and longer if the rvr looks as fun as I remember. . .

Are there any start out tips that I should know about? Fastest way to get to bg?

Finally, if there are any other new starters. . . or casual guilds out there on Alb/Mid who don't mind helping new players (re)learn the ropes - it'd be great to hear from you! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom