More newb questions (sorry)

Apollyn

Fledgling Freddie
Happily lvling on my VW atm, Ive done a few task dungeons, they seem to just be nice xp farms. I decided to goto Muire tomb, I remmber the fun and outright disaster ppl used to bring there when leveling toons up but wow, its changed. All these different wings and things there now, abandoned mines etc. I'm guessin these are catacombs changes.

1. Do these instances off instances have specific lvl ranges or do they lvl to my char? was yellows in there when I poked my head in around lvl 12 ish i tihink.

2. Is there any bonus to these instances? Ive found other ones inside the Veil rift (prior to entering Shar Catas) - called adventure wings. Are there any benefits to lvling here?

3. The catas themselves, does anyone have a nice guide to the Hib ones they can point me to? I saw the Alb one stickied here, would be just the thing I'm looking for for Hibs :D

4.Ppl talk about aurulite dropping in the catacombs, what lvls can I start collecting this at and where exactly does it drop?
(and should I save it or spend as it drops etc?)

5. Is there any benefit to clearing dungeons like Muires? Its been so long since I was last in there I dont remember if bosses dorp worthwhile loot etc, or whether I should be spending my time in the catas or task dungeons. Personally I dont mind travelling, exploring zone is half the fun but I do like to know where I can grind some nice xp when I'm time limited or not in the mood for a long story quest.

Ive had a good look through the forum here and found bits and pieces but still a little confused by all the different areas and new areas that i dont remember from when I used to play (I thought I used to spawn new chars in Shannon estuary as well, not Mag Mell, maybe my memory is failing). Also seems much easier to level up, I dont seem to need to spend hours grinding water beetles anymore which is kinda nice I guess :D

Cheers for any advice, I'm lovin the game so far, just dont wanna miss out on too much of it :D

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
1. The instances will cater to your specific level (within reason). If the mobs that are around the instance are the kind of mobs you would be fighting (green - red) then the instance should be fine.

2. Instances (with the exception of task dungeons) will drop aurulite. And there are often exp bonuses or other interesting bits of loot that get dropped from the named mobs.

3. Not that I am aware of. Once you get to level 40+ there are some useful guides to some of the quests that give good exp. (There are also darkspire guides)

4. You can get aurulite at very low levels like 5+. Aurulite drops in different amounts depending on your level. So at low levels you will be lucky to get one chip but at high levels clusters will drop. The good thing with aurulite is that you can use the stuff you farm at low levels to buy stuff at high levels.

Aurulite Chip, Value 5
Aurulite Fragment, Value 10
Aurulite Shard, Value 20
Aurulite Cluster, Value 30
Aurulite Cluster, Value 40

5. Exp is so fast these days that there is very little point in clearing dungeons for drops. Just do whatever you can to get exp.

Apollyn

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for clearing that up, will get to work (once work finishes :S)

Melfice

Fledgling Freddie
Since the admins won't allow me to open a new thread, I sadly just have to abuse this one for my beginner questions.

1. Is it worth playing if you are a total beginner? Or is it going to take at least 3 years to finally catch up with other players?

2. What about the server Populations? Are there still enough players around to have some fun?

3. Which server would you recommend? I'm european and I'd like to play on an anglophone server.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
1: Of course its worth playing. It is the best mmorpg out there, especially for pvp. In theory, you can get from levels 1-50 in a few hours if you know the right people. It took me 3 days/12 hours to reach level 50 on the classic servers, that is with doing the instance dungeons.

2; US populations are still great, with loads of Europeans on at eu peak times, tons of americans on at thier peak times.. Its well worth downloading the 14 day free trial and just having a wander round. You can get from level 1-20 in a few hours, that is the first battleground and is usually the busiest.

3: See point 2.

It might seem like a hard slog at first, but once your in game and find a good guild, you will find people do help each out a lot in game.

Melfice

Fledgling Freddie
1: Of course its worth playing. It is the best mmorpg out there, especially for pvp. In theory, you can get from levels 1-50 in a few hours if you know the right people. It took me 3 days/12 hours to reach level 50 on the classic servers, that is with doing the instance dungeons.

2; US populations are still great, with loads of Europeans on at eu peak times, tons of americans on at thier peak times.. Its well worth downloading the 14 day free trial and just having a wander round. You can get from level 1-20 in a few hours, that is the first battleground and is usually the busiest.

3: See point 2.

It might seem like a hard slog at first, but once your in game and find a good guild, you will find people do help each out a lot in game.

Sounds good that far.
But I actually asked for a specific server.
Or are there just a few big ones, catering for every playstyle?

What about endgame content?
I've read up on RvR so far, which sounds pretty impressive.
But what about PvE content?
How much is there?
How big are the groups?
And how long does it take to complete it?

As far I have only played WoW, Guild Wars and Ragnarok Online.
Now I'm looking for a deeper, more immersive experience and access to RPing.

I wanted to ask about classes as well, but I guess it is pretty balanced on a game that has existed for so long, so I probably can start out with whatever I like.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Sounds good that far.
But I actually asked for a specific server.
Or are there just a few big ones, catering for every playstyle?

What about endgame content?
I've read up on RvR so far, which sounds pretty impressive.
But what about PvE content?
How much is there?
How big are the groups?
And how long does it take to complete it?

As far I have only played WoW, Guild Wars and Ragnarok Online.
Now I'm looking for a deeper, more immersive experience and access to RPing.

I wanted to ask about classes as well, but I guess it is pretty balanced on a game that has existed for so long, so I probably can start out with whatever I like.

In the US there are many servers but they will shortly all be grouped together into one larger server. I would suggest you start on Lancelot but soon it won't matter. (with the exception of Morded and Gaheris which you want to avoid)

The game is RvR focused which means that the endgame PvE is either relatively straight forward or not essential for RvR. I would say that the hardest PvE encounters in game can be comfortably be done with 24 people although alot of things can be done with just 8 people if they are good enough. There is actually quite alot of well thought about PvE and if you are doing it for the first time it is fun. People who complain about the PvE may have around 50 different characters and when you repeat things so much it can get tedious but that is the case with repeating anything too much! One thing to remember is that PvE is in alot of cases optional, you can get the same rewards from just doing RvR but that doesn't mean that you won't find people PvEing.

A full group (or fg) is 8 people. Various people will joke that an Alb full group is anywhere between 16 and 40 people because Albs are considered the zerg realm.

Define complete? You can get yourself a competitive character in end game PvE in maybe a 5 days of total play time. But to master things you can spend an awful long time.

One final point regarding classes. They are not balanced around 1 vs 1. They are balanced around group combat. So some classes are awful for new players. If you pick certain classes you may find that they take ages to kill even a very easy monster because they are healing class and takes ages to level unless you have a group. However in RvR they will be essential because they can keep people alive. Ask before you start and we can give you suggestions on good characters to start out on. All classes are useful in RvR but it depends on your playstyle if you will enjoy playing them.

There is quite alot of Role Playing although its not for everybody. The people who like RP can type in a command that puts a (RP) after your name so its easier to find similar players.

Melfice

Fledgling Freddie
Well I am fine with group balance.
I prevents the game in ending up in a PvP-whinefest.

And the Server you mentioned, Lancelot.
Are there many europeans around?
And is it still possible to take part in RvR on an American server, or is all of europe sleeping by the time it takes place?

Well I'm flexible regarding classes, as long as supporter classes are treated with the proper respect and other people help them out doing their (sometimes tedious) job.
So what would you suggest?

Thadius

Part of the furniture
SEe point two when it comes to rvr ;)

What I liked about the yank servers was that yuo could always find action, no matter what time you logged on.

Well, dpending on what realm you want to go, you have three main choices.

Albion: Necro for pve, Cleric for groupability, Sorc/cabalist/ scout for soloin.
Midgard: Bonedancer for pve and rvr, shaman or healer for support
Hibernia: Animist for pve, druid/warden for group and ranger/vampire for soloing.

Melfice

Fledgling Freddie
Oh well I would have already started, when both offical trial sites weren't down :eek:

Are there any hood FAQ and Guide sites you could redirect me?
Huge number of classes there, so it is hard to choose.

Oh and by the way, which of the 'faction' has the least players and need reinforcements?

Thadius

Part of the furniture
start downloading the game anyway, it will take a while for it to patch up.

you can always make your account later :)

Melfice

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm i can't find the 'Lancelot' server.
Are european accounts restricted to european servers?

Melfice

Fledgling Freddie
Oh well looks like "Labirynth of the Minotaur" isn't included in the European trial and I need a credit card for the american trial which I don't have.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Oh well looks like "Labirynth of the Minotaur" isn't included in the European trial and I need a credit card for the american trial which I don't have.

no you dont for the american trial, i opened an accoutnon the daoc us servers and it worked fine!

dont go for the euro seveers, the uk language ones are dead aas a dodo

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Hmm i can't find the 'Lancelot' server.
Are european accounts restricted to european servers?

If you want to play in english you want to play on the US servers. These are different from the european servers which are in German or French. (There were some in English but everybody who only spoke english moved to the US).

Melfice

Fledgling Freddie
no you dont for the american trial, i opened an accoutnon the daoc us servers and it worked fine!

dont go for the euro seveers, the uk language ones are dead aas a dodo

Yeah but how, without giving my credit card number or buying a prepaid card already?

Melfice

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm now it says I created the Game Avvount successfully, but I still can't log in.
Hmm maybe I downloaded a wrong version or something.

Melfice

Fledgling Freddie
Well it looks like I've gotten myself the wrong version.
Thank you.

So which Realm is the most underpopulated one?
And is there a shortage of certain classes?

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Albion has always had the most people. Midgard and Hibernia are more evenly matched for players although Hibernia has slightly less.

Groups need all kinds of characters. It depends on what you like doing. As you have seen there are alot of classes so tell us what you like doing and we can pick a class that wil hopefully suit that style. I wouldn't suggest an out and out healer class as your first character because the learning curve can be quite steep and if you are brand new there will be quite alot to learn.

Melfice

Fledgling Freddie
Since Hibernia seems to be more magic centered it looks like the perfect Realm for me.

The classes I am most interested in:
Valewalker
Eldritch

Other interesting classes:
Champion
Enchanter
Vampiir

Of course, since it is my first character and I won't know any people around here, a class which is pretty good on their own would be beneficial.

Too bad Midgard has the least interesting classes from my point of view.
I know quite a bit about nordic mythology, so Roleplaying would be quite easy...

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Since Hibernia seems to be more magic centered it looks like the perfect Realm for me.

The classes I am most interested in:
Valewalker
Eldritch

Other interesting classes:
Champion
Enchanter
Vampiir

Of course, since it is my first character and I won't know any people around here, a class which is pretty good on their own would be beneficial.

Too bad Midgard has the least interesting classes from my point of view.
I know quite a bit about nordic mythology, so Roleplaying would be quite easy...

Vampirr are pretty much a solo class :)

Melfice

Fledgling Freddie
Vampirr are pretty much a solo class :)

Well I didn't meant solo in that sense.
Just not too dependent on other people, since I'll be leveling alone before I make friends and start grouping.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Well I didn't meant solo in that sense.
Just not too dependent on other people, since I'll be leveling alone before I make friends and start grouping.

Well, Vampirrs can do pretty everything alone :)

There are mana chanters as well, which is a pbaoe specced spell caster.

Did you manage to get on the Amiercan servers?

Melfice

Fledgling Freddie
Should be working now.
I'm going to check in another hour or so.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
But if you go for a vampiir you can go from 1-20 in a few hours, so you can go play in thisranki and see what pvp is like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom