Moderators Deleting Posts...

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Often posts are deleted because they are deemed to be offensive or inappropriate, but do not do enough to warrant banning in the CoC.

This is perfectly fine and understandable. But can you please ask the mods that do it to send a PM to the user that is having their posts deleted, with a reason as to WHY it was deleted in the mods eyes, informing the poster of whether or not it had been reported a bad post or just judged to be too borderline?

Will

/bin/su
Thats pretty standard to do...unless its spamming nonsense, though I tend to just edit it.

PM me with the forum it happened in, or the mod in question, and I'll let the powers that be know about it.

Will

/bin/su
Scratch my previous reply. Can you not see the deletion comments on the post? (I can see them, but that might just be because I'm a mod.)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
regular users can only see the reasons for editing iirc, not deletion. perhaps a widget that only the user concerned can see the reasons for his post being deleted?

Will

/bin/su
This message has been deleted by Jupitus. Reason: There's being PC, and then there is respect for the dead

I'm sure this thread is being read by any mods who poke their heads into General, I'll recommend editing rather than deleting now I know you can't read the reasons.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Does this count for the Hardware forums too? Y'know. Just in case.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
No, people come to the hardware forums to ask questions, and we do our best to keep things on track, +1's and useless babble will be deleted. If you want waffle go to a little chef.

Clown

Part of the furniture
+1s and useless babble. Useless to who? I've seen posts where a disagreement is expressed just disappear from there.

Custodian

Loyal Freddie
There is a thing called "soft delete" (iirc) in vB3 that means post/thread disappears from normal view (us pe0ns) but the Mods can still see it. Handy for dealing with disputes etc. if the original can still be seen by the allseeing gods.

As Will says, the alternate to deleteing a single post is to edit the content out and replace it with the reason it was removed. Perhaps a good way to ensure people learn what isn't tolerated. Or at the very least it means folks know there post was delete drather than summat odd happening.

Course, it is made quite clear that Mods on this forum have the power to do what they think right for the benfit of the forum, and are under no obligation to explain or justify anything. So why would there be any "disputes". So ner ner ner ;)

mank!

Part of the furniture
It wouldn't be the same without a bit of moderator controversy every now and then. For once, I don't give a flying fuck but I'd like to know what Swift said.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Custodian said:
There is a thing called "soft delete" (iirc) in vB3 that means post/thread disappears from normal view (us pe0ns) but the Mods can still see it. Handy for dealing with disputes etc. if the original can still be seen by the allseeing gods.

Yes, that's the function we use, it lets all the mods see and if necessary recover deleted posts, it also shows the reason for deletion.

I've ever only once had the call to undelete a post in hardware because of a user double-posting but asking to retrieve the 2nd post because they'd added edits.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Noone apart from me I think can hard-delete a post.

Everyone else can only remove the post from view.....

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Deebs said:
Noone apart from me I think can hard-delete a post.

Everyone else can only remove the post from view.....

Actually, I can hard delete also, but only use it in cases of double posts or user requests. I didn't realise that Swift and others couldn't see the reason behind a soft-delete and will usually edit instead from now on.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
however editing means removing the text, and thus the proof.

I think it's just got to be a matter of judgement, things which may require further moderational attention (i.e. handing out of bans) have to be soft deleted so we can point other moderators to the offending threads, whereas little bits of 'tidyup' can just be achieved with an edit.

I'm surprised this is something we're debating though - as we've discussed the matter in the mods forum more than once in the past. Last time I recall Yoni requesting people used the soft-delete and if necessary post in the thread itself.

Clown

Part of the furniture
It's to stop YOU from banning people for no apparent reason.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Xavier: Yes, you talked about it in the mods forum. However, it doesn't affect mods like it does the users themselves. With soft-delete it appears that any posts made have just vanished from the boards.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Clown said:
It's to stop YOU from banning people for no apparent reason.

There's always a reason clown. What's up, sorry your arse got bounced out the door? Simple answer - quit acting like a tit.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Here's me acting like a tit. You're a dick head. Fuck off.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Clown & Xavier - Knock it on the head please.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Fuck knows how Xavier's been allowed to continue as a moderator this long anyway.

Chilly

Balls of steel
mank said:
Fuck knows how Xavier's been allowed to continue as a moderator this long anyway.
cos he seems to know most things about every random gadget youv ever seen and thus is the over-lord of technation? :D

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Jupitus said:
Actually, I can hard delete also, but only use it in cases of double posts or user requests. I didn't realise that Swift and others couldn't see the reason behind a soft-delete and will usually edit instead from now on.
Well soft-delete allows recovery, so it might be better to soft-delete, but also PM the user or post in thread with why the post is deleted. It's quite disconcerting whe posts vanish, never quite sure if it's mods or the forums on the blink.

Not what you know it's who you know I guess. :(

Ziva

Fluffy
I usually edit bad posts and quotes of it and i soft delete entire threads. After i deleted a whole thread i PM the user who started the thread with a reason.

However, some threads are messed up so badly by follow up replies that editing posts, pming the users who posted and stuff is simply not doable and timeconsuming.

Not long ago i was told editting threads was confusing cause some people missed the "editted by <modname>" part. Personally i don't prefer editing threads either because like Xavier said u delete "proof" and also it's nearly impossible for others moderators to see what went wrong if a user asks about it.

However, i have to say that even though it happens sometimes, i think the amount of people asking for a missing post or thread is very low compared the the stuff we do on forums. It could be because most people probably know why it was deleted or editted. But it can't hurt to ask offcourse :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom