Moderation

Will

/bin/su
Every now and again, I come across a post that I have no idea what I should do with. So, I've decided to ask you lot. What sort of moderation would you like in here? Do you want threads kept on topic, do you want pointless spam deleted, do you want things to moderate themselves (more or less), or something else.

Answers on a postcard below.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I was always all for the self moderation thing, but pointless spam from non regulars should be deleted imo.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
[QUOTE='Shy]So if we're regulars we can spam? :eek:[/QUOTE] :twak: :)

Thanks Will - bloody good post :) Comments please?

Will

/bin/su
[QUOTE='Shy]So if we're regulars we can spam? :eek:[/QUOTE]
I'd like to say, for the record, no. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
If you're a regular you're less likely to post a pointless annoying spam message and if you do then it can be discussed, you can be flamed. All I mean is that if it's a nobody posting some annoying spam it should be deleted without making a big thing about it.

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
nath said:
I was always all for the self moderation thing, but pointless spam from non regulars should be deleted imo.

That's what the above posts sounds like to me!

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
spam = spam whoever i comes from.

Subtle warning to the offender if it happens too much (through PM). if it continues, ban for a day or three

Offensive posts - warning. Continue then ban for 1 week

*numbers randomly drawn from the air

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
[QUOTE='Shy]So if we're regulars we can spam? :eek:[/QUOTE]

only on the general forum though, spam is not wanted elsewhere :twak:

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
How many posts do I need to become a regular round here? :D

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Jupitus said:
:twak: :)

Thanks Will - bloody good post :) Comments please?

I think thats wot you call "moderator luv" (or sucking up on our language :p )

Custodian

Loyal Freddie
Aint a Mod's job to ensure the CoC is adhered to?
With a bit of interpretation according to the forum/community they look after.
Plus adding a little bit of common sense.

or...

Don't ask me, I don't work here :/

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Lazarus said:
I think thats wot you call "moderator luv" (or sucking up on our language :p )

:D

Actually it's my way of saying 'thanks for asking the question I thought I'd get flamed to hell and back for asking' ;)

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Jupitus said:

Actually it's my way of saying 'thanks for asking the question I thought I'd get flamed to hell and back for asking' ;)

YOU would have, but we wuv will ;)

Will

/bin/su
Don't forget, Jup has the banstick, unlike me. ;)

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
*humps Jup's leg* :p

im with Laz, a liberal dose of warnings to offenders would help sort out a lot, but you do need to take most posts with a pinch of salt in here...

id say depending on the severity of the spam it should be a 2 strike count for it.. unless they take the piss and really hammer the board with junk, then straight to severe warning.

anything like personal attacks or jibes should be frowned upon and warnings issued for that, at least keep it from the boards if you have an issue with them.

i guess having them as part of the community would help so they know the general feeling of the person posting... its like a group of friends, you know what they mean when they call you a c*** to your face... they are usually joking with you. :D

*humps will's leg so he doesnt feel left out*

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
I think the main diference between the "regulars" spamming and the iditos that we are on about is the intent.

There are times when TDC for example will spam *one* thread to high hell. Next day all will be back to normal and he will be writing worthwile replies etc.

When the cretians from *there* arrive it is all spamming and on every thread they touch. And by throwing in a reply with some long words in it they think it is acceptable to carry on spamming.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
With regards to keeping threads on topic I think that should be totally self moderated...

Sometimes the best threads are generated by the deviation from the general topic.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Will said:
Don't forget, Jup has the banstick, unlike me. ;)

[takes a chance]
yeah - but he's a noob with it
[/end of chance] :touch:

Will

/bin/su
Yeah, I agree about the drifting onto new topics sometimes being far more interesting than the original one.

And can you do me a favour, and try to define for me what you think is spam? Short pointless replies, IRC style chatting, purely advertising, or something else?

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
Lazarus said:
[takes a chance]
yeah - but he's a noob with it
[/end of chance] :touch:
ban ffs! :eek:

:p

in my eyes spam would be pointless responses that dont have any reflection on the thread in question.. i.e. someone posting "jaffa cakes are good" in the middle of this thread.. if it doesnt fit into the "flow" of the thread it could be classed as spam.

anything that would essencially be used as a point to bolster the persons post count (if we still had one :p )

i guess irc-style responses would also be classed as spam...

Will

/bin/su
So, as an example, is Laz's post above this spam, or not?

;)

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Will said:
Yeah, I agree about the drifting onto new topics sometimes being far more interesting than the original one.

And can you do me a favour, and try to define for me what you think is spam? Short pointless replies, IRC style chatting, purely advertising, or something else?

Some will see some things as spam where others won't. A classic example - I read somewhere on here about peoples posting jokes. Whats the point in posting a joke if someone can't reply with a "lol" without getting flamed for spamming. So what do you say? "Great joke old chap, I shall have to remember that one and tell all my friends, etc". Sounds a bit sucky eh :)

Someone may post something in the tech forums, like "Whats an iPod like?" And wait for replies. One person could say "it sucks", the other could give a 5000 esay of waffle. Which is the spam? Both practical views :)

On the other hand, you can go look at the DAoC RvR forums and see hundreds of "I WTFPWNJ00" threads and it's like it's completely normal in there, just because that's their style of posting.

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
Will said:

;)
really the spam area is a bit of a two-sided sword.. its a joking response to two earlier posts and it brings a bit of a chuckle to some people for the response, clearly theres going to be a very fine line in moderating the spam levels as you'll still get witty one-line responses.

id say if it makes you smirk its a keeper, if your confused to hell.. it takes the trip to the dustbin.

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Will said:

;)

Depends who teh poster is :) If he's a generalite, it's a harmless dig. If he's a DAoC-er it's pointless spam and you shoudl ban him tbh :)

Will

/bin/su
Insane said:
really the spam area is a bit of a two-sided sword.. its a joking response to two earlier posts and it brings a bit of a chuckle to some people for the response, clearly theres going to be a very fine line in moderating the spam levels as you'll still get witty one-line responses.

id say if it makes you smirk its a keeper, if your confused to hell.. it takes the trip to the dustbin.
I'll probably try to stick to this. I have to say that having the power to alter a thread so much does sometimes make me feel uncomfortable. I'm never sure how people will react to having posts edited or deleted, and so I tend to be overly cautious.

I don't mind a few people showing appreciation for a joke, but when you get ten posts in a row, it gets irritating. The problem is that there isn't a clear place to draw the line, and the people posting further down the thread aren't doing anything different from the people higher up.

Hmnnn, I do ramble a bit when I get going, don't I?

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
[QUOTE='Shy]Some will see some things as spam where others won't. A classic example - I read somewhere on here about peoples posting jokes. Whats the point in posting a joke if someone can't reply with a "lol" without getting flamed for spamming. So what do you say? "Great joke old chap, I shall have to remember that one and tell all my friends, etc". Sounds a bit sucky eh :)

Someone may post something in the tech forums, like "Whats an iPod like?" And wait for replies. One person could say "it sucks", the other could give a 5000 esay of waffle. Which is the spam? Both practical views :)

On the other hand, you can go look at the DAoC RvR forums and see hundreds of "I WTFPWNJ00" threads and it's like it's completely normal in there, just because that's their style of posting.[/QUOTE]

I always see online forums in the same frame of refernce as usenet. But then again I grew up in online terms on usenet.

By definition online forums such as this fall somewhere between a completly moderated information service and an IRCalike chat concept.
Where a forum lies however is much more of a grey area.

Spam in classical terms is unsolicited correspondence, usually in bulk. In terms of a forum spam is in itself difficult to define. Some is obvious, but others are harder to spot as each section will have it's own regular users with developed mores and patterns of practice.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Will said:
I'll probably try to stick to this. I have to say that having the power to alter a thread so much does sometimes make me feel uncomfortable. I'm never sure how people will react to having posts edited or deleted, and so I tend to be overly cautious.

Will, apologies for being direct, but you WERE selected as a Mod and this is part of your role.

However, IF you do feel the need to alter a post / thread then make sure that you indicate in the post/thread that you HAVE edited it and for what reason.

Covers your back and also ensures that there is no case of "WTF happened"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom