Martial Arts

adoNix

Can't get enough of FH
I allwas wanted to start with martial arts when i was a kid.. but my mom wouldnt let me because i have adhd :(( and now im overwieght and play computer games.. GG :\

Basic_X

Fledgling Freddie
adoNix said:
I allwas wanted to start with martial arts when i was a kid.. but my mom wouldnt let me because i have adhd :(( and now im overwieght and play computer games.. GG :\

Same tbh, allso wanted to start martial art. but my parrents said no couse i "wasnt flexible enough", stick to football they said. and here i am. sitting infront of a computer. instead of going around kicking peoples ass bruce lee style :(

Stanny

Fledgling Freddie
Lamp said:
I misread that the first time I read it...I thought you said you can't really bend your cock...

*cough* Ahem *gets his coat*

I CAN'T!!!!!!!! CAN ANYONE HELP!??!

Afran

Part of the furniture
Naetha said:
I used to do shukokai karate when I was 15

If you enjoyed Shukokai Karate, then all I can suggest is you take it up again. A professional sensei makes all the difference though, so I'd only advise going back (or have you moved?) if that is the case.

I did Shukokai Karate also, I started when I was 7 years old and quit last year when I was 15, I didn't want to quit was kind of forced to when my original Sensei had to move back to Japan, and the new guy we got was totally useless. Was no other decent Shukokai clubs nearby at the time, not sure if there is now. Would love to get back into it tbh :)

Muay Thai also interests me, though doesn't suit everyone. Maybe you should look into that?

kindrid

Fledgling Freddie
i been in to drunk chair, beer glass, botle breaking against forehead baar fights since many years now i recived my final belt and become major world wide sensei of drunk bar fights marshal arts. Nothing works better then landing a direct hit on the head with any object u can find :D . but seriously if u r a chicken nothing will help u win no marshal arts explore dofferent activitys and try solving problems by lowering your pride :DDD. your own will >any marshal art

P.S: by the idia i like tai box elbow on the head is iwin combo :D

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Afran said:
If you enjoyed Shukokai Karate, then all I can suggest is you take it up again. A professional sensei makes all the difference though, so I'd only advise going back (or have you moved?) if that is the case.

I did Shukokai Karate also, I started when I was 7 years old and quit last year when I was 15, I didn't want to quit was kind of forced to when my original Sensei had to move back to Japan, and the new guy we got was totally useless. Was no other decent Shukokai clubs nearby at the time, not sure if there is now. Would love to get back into it tbh :)

Muay Thai also interests me, though doesn't suit everyone. Maybe you should look into that?

Yeah, unfortunately that was in North Wales, and I've moved to Leeds now, but there seem to be a few good clubs in Leeds. I'll give one a try in a couple of weeks - gonna try and drag my hubby along as well, although he's not as fit as me so may struggle a little ;)

Marc

FH is my second home
I did Muay Thai for about a year when I was 15, but got my arse handed to me by some kid who was about 4 stone wet, so I quit.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Can't reccomend any clubs in leeds, can reccomend specific martial arts though based on 21 years experience in them. Been teaching Martial arts for about 10 years (Judo) and practising for about 21 years now (Dan grade, ex National squad etc etc).

Also done Ninjitsu, Aikido, Tae-Boxing and a few other bits to a low-intermediate level to complete the fighting style.

My honest advice if you want to learn something good as self-defence in a barfight-streetfight situation is take up one "main" martial art that involves grappling (this happens in almost every close-up fight) and one secondary that involves weapons/ranged attacks such as punches etc (which help you close to a grappling distance).

I really don't rate kick-boxing, karate or anything like that since any martial art that advocates 1) turning your back on an opponent at range or 2) trying to kick someone in the head when theres a perfectly good pair of kneecaps you can hit twice as fast and twice as reliably isn't for me. (if you want a more detailed explenation about block/movement/evade ability on different bodyparts i can go into it but im sure most people have a fair idea that its easier to move your head 3-4 inches than your leg 2 foot+.)

Overall if you want a highly effective martial art thats taught to a decent standard in a lot of towns in the UK i'd say take up Ju-Jitsu or Ninjitsu. Aikido is nice but a lot of the entry's to techniques rely on you being significantly faster than your opponent and having room to move which is rarely the case i find.

PS As for those who said getting beaten reguarly made them quit - youre approaching it all wrong - getting beaten reguarly should drive you on to improve. Winning is easy - you learn next to nothing from it. Losing and working out what went wrong is what makes you better at something generally.

PPS Posting a lot today since im on a teleconference where 90% of it has no relevance to me.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Nice post Binary :)

The winning combination =

(a) something you actually want to do
(b) something you enjoy doing
(c) something that gives you a sense of actually learning something you can put into practice.
(d) a nice bunch of fellow students you can have a drink with after in the bar
(e) a half-decent dojo
(f) a properly qualified instructor (incl. basic first aid !) who's not an asshole

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Lamp said:
The winning combination =

(a) something you actually want to do
(b) something you enjoy doing
(c) something that gives you a sense of actually learning something you can put into practice.
(d) a nice bunch of fellow students you can have a drink with after in the bar
(e) a half-decent dojo
(f) a properly qualified instructor (incl. basic first aid !) who's not an asshole
Agreed - one last thing i'd add to that - the ability to leave the ego at the door - biggest problem with any student, especially the older ones who think they know it all. Teaching would be easy if it wasn't for the students ;)

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
There's this place, about half a mile from where I live: http://www.nat-mac.co.uk/ which seems OK, although a bit salesy, and not cheap (£45 per month subscription).

Also this place, as a proper Kung-Fu dojo, also about a mile from where I live, but again £40 a month subs. http://www.wingchunkwoon.net/

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Naetha said:
OMG it does grenade defences!!

I knew Leeds was rough, but I didn't think it was that bad ;) Sounds like fun, might go along and give it a go, although I originally got into karate by doing self defence classes, so I'm not too shabby at kicks to the knackers etc. (as anyone thats ever been with me when drunk will testify - I have this annoying habit of at about the 5th pint, thinking I'm the ninja of leetness, and end up kicking all the surrounding guys in the plums - great fun though!)
You think that's weird - we used to do defence against horse-mounted attackers and arrows/bolts with the Ninjitsu...I shit you not.

Gun defence goes without saying ofc...I usually end up shouting at the screen when some clueless director makes their actors put a gun against someones spine - easiest thing in the world to avoid especially if the safety is on...

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
TheBinarySurfer said:
You think that's weird - we used to do defence against horse-mounted attackers and arrows/bolts with the Ninjitsu...I shit you not.

Gun defence goes without saying ofc...I usually end up shouting at the screen when some clueless director makes their actors put a gun against someones spine - easiest thing in the world to avoid especially if the safety is on...

Same for someone stupid enough to hold the gun to your stomach

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Lamp said:
Same for someone stupid enough to hold the gun to your stomach
Yep - screwing the weapon around so the barrel is stuck/twisted into clothing while the target is immobilised is about the only up-close way, and even then its not fantastic as a method. Better yet just stand 6+ feet away and there's bugger all even an expert H2H'er can do.

What people don't appreciate is that any weapon has a very small arc/angle in which it can damage you from its position at any one time. Someone who knows how to hold a gun could reliably hit in a cone of roughly 45 degrees in all directions extending from the tip of the barrel - its relatively easy to hit your target in that angle with just a small adjustment of the angle of the lower arm.

Basic trig tells you its a shitload easier to get out of that arc/angle/cone (whatever you want to call it) at 6 inches rather than 6 feet as the amount of movement necessary to evade the cone is less (and you can reduce it further by moving the weapon the opposite way).

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Yep.

I saw this guy (might have been a Philippeno cop trainer, or something like that) on Mind, Body, and Kickass Moves (anyone seen this series ? Its excellent. Wanna get it on DVD if I can)

He faced someone at range. Before the guy could get a shot off, he'd run up and neutralised the threat.

Amazing speed. Nutter.

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Lamp said:
Yep.

I saw this guy (might have been a Philippeno cop trainer, or something like that) on Mind, Body, and Kickass Moves (anyone seen this series ? Its excellent. Wanna get it on DVD if I can)

He faced someone at range. Before the guy could get a shot off, he'd run up and neutralised the threat.

Amazing speed. Nutter.

Mind Body and Kickass Moves is an awesome series, and that's what's kinda kick-started me into getting my martial arts stuff sorted again.

From a self defence point of view, I'm not fussed about ninjaing people that have guns pointed at me - its not worth it. I rarely carry anything of value that is worth more to me than internal injuries (my iPod is broke, and my phone is shit!). I'm pretty confident that in the right circumstances I could defend myself against a knife threat or a physical threat, although I'm sure the martial arts would both brush up my self defence skills as well as improving my balance, hand to eye coordination, flexibility and power, which would all be useful if I got in a fight (which as a girl, I don't tend to much, although I'm pretty good at arm wrestling!)

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Lamp said:
Yep.

Amazing speed. Nutter.
Yep seen some of the series not on DvD afaik though or i'd have bought it :)
You have to be a special kind of nutter to try and charge a projectile weapon of any kind at range.

(Unless [slightly off topic] youre wearing body armor - speaking of which did you see the advert video for that new type of body armor - Dragonscale? Resisted over 30*9mm submachinegun hits at close range before the armor was of duboius integrity. Another vest took 9 hits from an AK-74 to the chestplate at close range, another one stopped every single fragment from a Pineapple frag grenade etc etc. Incredible stuff).

I haven't studied it properly but i do like the look of Penjat-Silat for the weapons and counter-weapons techniques - very brutal, very direct.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Very cool, although when it comes to 'watch this amazing guy' Judo suffers from the same thing as Greco-Roman wrestling - the better/higher standard it is, the less photogenic it is.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Svartmetall said:
Judo suffers from the same thing as Greco-Roman wrestling

But without the baby oil and loin-cloths

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Lamp said:
But without the baby oil and loin-cloths

Good thing the film wasn't called 'The Greco-Roman Kid', really...just imagine...

"oil on...oil off..."

Bahumat

FH is my second home

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom