Martial Arts

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone do any martial arts here to a significant level (i.e. for more than a year)?

I used to do shukokai karate when I was 15, but had to quit when I went to Uni, just before my brown belt grading.

Thinking of taking up karate or tae-kwon-do again to get myself in better shape (I'm pretty fit, but about as flexible as a brick) and to vent some fury.

Can anyone recommend any clubs around Leeds for good solid martial arts training (specific rather than generic though - I don't like clubs that teach martial arts in general rather than specifically karate or TKD)?

Also kinda curious to see what martial arts (if any) people here do :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I'm a 3rd Dan in jui-jitsu, and I've been doing it for 20 years now.

(In fact I recently got my third - and final ! - black belt on 24 June this year !)

PM me if you wanna take this off-line.

Stanny

Fledgling Freddie
Did TKD for 4 years when I was younger, twice North East Koryo Champ.

So inflexible now tho, can't touch my toes by about 6 inches and can't really bend my back :mad:

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Stanny said:
Did TKD for 4 years when I was younger, twice North East Koryo Champ.

So inflexible now tho, can't touch my toes by about 6 inches and can't really bend my back :mad:

I misread that the first time I read it...I thought you said you can't really bend your cock...

*cough* Ahem *gets his coat*

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Am I right in thinking Ju-Jitsu is mainly grappling, locks etc? Its fun to watch on UFC, but I'm more of a hitting and kicking person.

And I'm freakishly strong which always helps :D

Spis

Fledgling Freddie
Practised Ju Jitsu when i was a little kiddo.. only for about 1 year or so, cause i didnt get to learn how to kill fast enough..

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Did Ju-Jutsu for a few years, I enjoyed it but was but never particularly good at it. I think Aikido would be my martial art of choice nowadays though, such a graceful yet effective style. Very hard to find a good Aikido sensei though.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Naetha said:
Am I right in thinking Ju-Jitsu is mainly grappling, locks etc? Its fun to watch on UFC, but I'm more of a hitting and kicking person.

Yeah. Its mainly grappling, locks, throws, dirty quick wins, real self defense in street situations, defence against weapons, perception awareness, learning to fall without hurting yourself, tackling multiple armed and unarmed opponents, first aid, using others as human shields, close-up combat.

you learn to kick and punch but their only a means to an end. There's not much kata in juijitsu.

If you're a kicker puncher type person, juijitsu's not for you.

If you wanna learn pure self-defence, I recommend giving it a go.

If you don't like it, you're under no obligation to continue.

Its important to do a style / form you ENJOY.

MOST IMPORTANT - for ANY martial art - get a GOOD instructor. Anyone can self-proclaim themselves a 10th dan. Finding a good teacher - like finding a good teacher with anything - is critical.

Spis

Fledgling Freddie
Lamp, have you learnt how to kill effectively yet? :)

oO(and can j00 teach me)!?!? :D

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
hehehe

and yes

TPM_DoubleSaber_med.jpg

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Naetha said:

If your looking for a work out and not to bothered about the getting into the correct position for the one eyed monkey stance could go do Krav Maga.

Its basicly about subdueing your oppent as quickly as possible (swift knee to the clangers etc) Pressure Points (always a fun one xD).

Look iv'e even found a link for a place in Leeds (cash in the post woman !)

http://www.kravmagaleeds.com/

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
i feel like im getting to old to learn all this :( should have startet when i was ung
an beautiful:)

sadly im only Beautiful now :D

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
Eeben said:
i feel like im getting to old to learn all this :( should have startet when i was ung
an beautiful:)

sadly im only Beautiful now :D

Never too old mate :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
You need to ask yourself why you want to study martial arts.

1. Purely for self-defence.

2. You wanna kick someone's ass

3. You wanna be the next Bruce Lee

4. You wanna get fit, have fun, and learn something useful at the same time

5. You have a fetish for women kicking you in the balls

6. You wanna take hot showers with sweating men who know how to hold their weapon

7. You're curious, wanna make some new friends, and have always been attracked to m-arts

One you've decided WHY you wanna do it, finding the style is a little easier !

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
OMG it does grenade defences!!

I knew Leeds was rough, but I didn't think it was that bad ;) Sounds like fun, might go along and give it a go, although I originally got into karate by doing self defence classes, so I'm not too shabby at kicks to the knackers etc. (as anyone thats ever been with me when drunk will testify - I have this annoying habit of at about the 5th pint, thinking I'm the ninja of leetness, and end up kicking all the surrounding guys in the plums - great fun though!)

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
Lamp said:

1. Purely for self-defence.

2. I wanna kick someone's ass

3. I wanna be the next Bruce Lee

4. I wanna get fit, have fun, and learn something useful at the same time

5. I have a fetish for women kicking me in the balls

6. I wanna take hot showers with sweating men who know how to hold their weapon

what style follows with number 6? :p sauna wrestling? :p

Spis

Fledgling Freddie
Lamp said:

I need to learn how to defend myself against women kicking me in ze balls :(

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Spis said:
I need to learn how to defend myself against women kicking me in ze balls :(

Simply remove them before going out for the night, and plug ugly gaping wound with a spare cushion from the sofa

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie

1. Purely for self-defence. Not purely, although doesn't hurt to refresh my knowledge

2. You wanna kick someone's ass. If I can do it without seriously injuring someone, then yes

3. You wanna be the next Bruce Lee. Not particularly, I ain't photogenic

4. You wanna get fit, have fun, and learn something useful at the same time. Yup, and I want it to be something I can excel in - I was good at it when I was a kid, I had the dedication, commitment and discipline to make the most of it, and I want to have that opportunity again.

5. You have a fetish for women kicking you in the balls. I have no balls. I have a bit of a thing about kicking blokes in the balls though (see previous post)

6. You wanna take hot showers with sweating men who know how to hold their weapon. Don't think my husband would like that :(

7. You're curious, wanna make some new friends, and have always been attracked to m-arts. Yup!

Spis

Fledgling Freddie
Lamp said:
3. You wanna be the next Bruce Lee

6. You wanna take hot showers with sweating men who know how to hold their weapon

which club provides a mix of these btw? Haha :D

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Naetha said:
6. You wanna take hot showers with sweating men who know how to hold their weapon. Don't think my husband would like that :(

LMAO

Made me cough and splutter into my tea :)

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
I always liked Muay Thai Kickboxing as a good aggression clearer. Belting the hell out of mats with elbows, feet, hands, knees was really cathartic. Your shins take a right battering until they get conditioned to it though.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
i wanna kill someone and watch him die...does that make me cool or weird?

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
Shagrat said:
I always liked Muay Thai Kickboxing as a good aggression clearer. Belting the hell out of mats with elbows, feet, hands, knees was really cathartic. Your shins take a right battering until they get conditioned to it though.

have been thinking about starting to this :) sounds so like something for me :D:D

swords

Can't get enough of FH
What style of Jiu Jitsu Lamp?
Just curious as i am a green belt in TJF and our highest rank is 3rd dan...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I do Martial Arse, ye old Scottish art of farting in a deadly manner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom