man down !

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Good luck Requiel with your new role in Parabellum, I sincerely hope it works out for you.

Zede

Part of the furniture
IIRC people had done it before, but I am not completely sure. What I do know for a fact though is that people actually brought back the relic to the other realm by dropping it for them to pick up. This happened more than once on both EU and US servers. This 'offense' to me seems much greater as we at least kept it protected (albeit by a lvl 1 keep), while they just returned it to their 'owners'.

Angels of Darkness did it.

I Logged at about 10pm & got a world of abuse, I had no idea what was happening. I could have raised the keep level, but I didnt.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Really sorry to hear about this :-( Does anyone have a source to back this up?

Requiel I hope you quit because you moved into a new job which YOU wanted. If you were forced out or anything like that it's a real shame.

Either way I wish you luck with the future.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Where I’m At Adventures in MMO Community Management

December 17, 2008 at 7:41 pm (Info, Navel gazing) (jobs, me, rumours, Warhammer)

Seeing as it’s becoming public knowledge, I need to do a bit of rumour control. It’s true that I handed in my notice at GOA yesterday, I am for the moment still employed there and won’t actually be leaving until the end of January. I’ll be tidying up some loose ends here in Ireland and then jumping across to Germany to start a new job which takes me back to a development/design role. If anyone’s interested, the game I’ll be working on is Parabellum and I’m enormously happy to be part of such an exciting project.

For various reasons I’m really not interested in talking too much about the circumstances of my leaving GOA, I will say that I’m going to be sad to leave some really awesome people behind and that I will be taking a lot of very good memories away with me. Anything beyond that is a matter for my exit interview and some carefully written parting emails. I will have been here nearly five years when I leave and it’s been a valuable experience every day. Not always good times but I don’t regret any of my time here.

Finally in my last blog post Belsameth asked if I had more pictures of my Grumlok miniature in progress. I forgot to upload them for ages but I finally got around to it today so here’s a gallery of all the pictures. The darker ones were taken with my digital camera at home while the brighter ones were taken by our studio A/V guy here hence the stark difference in quality between them.

Phantomby

Loyal Freddie
hmm, i wish i could bring myself to say good luck in the future but my "neutral" view is that raq wasn't as eloquent as required for the position he held. tough position having to stall a playerbase because nothing is happenging in the backhround.

I hope design suits you better, and you never have to face public opinion again.

As for all the mods beating their chests in this thread...tut tut. I thought this was a forum of people offering opinions, seems all that power is going to your heads. It's a sodding half dead forum fgs. get a grip.

ill expect my ban in the post for disagreeing sometime soon.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
TT still bitter

Well, I guess now we know where the first 'T' came from.

I'm sorry to see you go, Requiel, and for what it's worth I think you got completely shafted by David Petit and Mark Jacobs; the way they hung you out to dry over The Comments Incident was, in my opinion, fucking disgusting. So much for standing by a colleague, eh?

Best of luck in your future endeavours mate :cheers:

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
hmm, i wish i could bring myself to say good luck in the future but my "neutral" view is that raq wasn't as eloquent as required for the position he held. tough position having to stall a playerbase because nothing is happenging in the backhround.

I hope design suits you better, and you never have to face public opinion again.

As for all the mods beating their chests in this thread...tut tut. I thought this was a forum of people offering opinions, seems all that power is going to your heads. It's a sodding half dead forum fgs. get a grip.

ill expect my ban in the post for disagreeing sometime soon.

:rolleyes:

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
You dont even know me or my history with him.

So take your petty insults and go fuck yourself.

no we dont so please enlighten us on the horrible injustice that he have cause your precious person, or take your own advice.

if you want to slander him make a new topic.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Good luck in the future Req :)

Whilst I didn't agree with a vast majority of your decisions, or the way you went about things at all, you live to learn and I'm sure dealing with such a delicate gaming community will have improved you for the better (even if it did help kill DAoC :()

Killgorde

Loyal Freddie
Best wishes in all your future endeavors, Requiel.

And to all the pubeless kiddiefuckwits out there who were baying for his blood I can only say this: Iain has been an excellent liaison for many years between them (GOA/Mythic) and us (the paying community). Just ask yourselves (as some of you are probably the guilty ones, judging by the inane posts on this thread) what degree of sustained abuse it took for Iain to snap like he did. Then, in ten years time, when you are adults with a bit more responsibility in a life that doesnt revolve around a bloody game, you may actually (although I doubt it) feel some remorse at your treatment of him.

Regards

KG

Sollers

Fledgling Freddie
Best wishes in all your future endeavors, Requiel.

And to all the pubeless kiddiefuckwits out there who were baying for his blood I can only say this: Iain has been an excellent liaison for many years between them (GOA/Mythic) and us (the paying community). Just ask yourselves (as some of you are probably the guilty ones, judging by the inane posts on this thread) what degree of sustained abuse it took for Iain to snap like he did. Then, in ten years time, when you are adults with a bit more responsibility in a life that doesnt revolve around a bloody game, you may actually (although I doubt it) feel some remorse at your treatment of him.

Regards

KG

I don't think anyone in this thread is actually baying for Iain's blood. What you read is that some people simply do not consider him 'the man for the job'. You can be all mr cool telling other people to grow up, but in the grown up world this 'bloody game' is part of a million dollar business. Iain went completely out of line in the things he said recently and paid for it with his position. Did he have reason to snap? fuck yeah if you ask me. Does it matter whether he has a reason to snap? fuck no. He shouldn't have and that's the only thing that matters.

Killgorde

Loyal Freddie
I don't think anyone in this thread is actually baying for Iain's blood.

Rewind a second, Sollers...

Firstly I didn't say people on this thread "are" baying for his blood (maybe with the exception of some infantile posters but I leave you to make your own mind up about who they are). The word I used "were" related to the time of the incident, not the present.

Secondly, I in no way condoned his (Iains) actions. By the same token, if Jupitus was to conduct a poll on Iains contribution over many years I think you would find yourself in a very very small minority of the community of the opinion that he was "not up to the job" - the majority see that he was given a crap hand to play by GOA and Mythic at release - a shit job given the massive flaws in the build of the game itself and I won't even start on the amateur attempts at Flash from GOA. Not aware of your own guild's relationship with him but is there a personal agenda there colouring your posts? This thread was I believe started as a tribute to someone who a lot of people have a great deal of time for, and that some see it as an opportunity to "kick him when he's down" is just plain annoying.

Thirdly, I resent any "mr cool" tag. I call it as I see it based on the input of everyone else and am as inclined to take the piss out of myself as I am the next guy :).

/Salutes

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I looked at the trailer for Parabellum yesterday evening. It does look rather nice.

Regardless of which way people paint IanC this brings some publicity to that game, getting it above radar for those that might not have heard of it otherwise. Smart move by the makers of Parabellum. As its often said, all publicity is good publicity.

I hope GOA give IainC a good leaving do.

Sollers

Fledgling Freddie
Rewind a second, Sollers...

Firstly I didn't say people on this thread "are" baying for his blood (maybe with the exception of some infantile posters but I leave you to make your own mind up about who they are). The word I used "were" related to the time of the incident, not the present.

That is fair enough.

Secondly, I in no way condoned his (Iains) actions. By the same token, if Jupitus was to conduct a poll on Iains contribution over many years I think you would find yourself in a very very small minority of the community of the opinion that he was "not up to the job" - the majority see that he was given a crap hand to play by GOA and Mythic at release - a shit job given the massive flaws in the build of the game itself and I won't even start on the amateur attempts at Flash from GOA. Not aware of your own guild's relationship with him but is there a personal agenda there colouring your posts? This thread was I believe started as a tribute to someone who a lot of people have a great deal of time for, and that some see it as an opportunity to "kick him when he's down" is just plain annoying.

I wouldn't have the faintest clue as to what kind of personal agenda I could have to 'colour' my posts. I don't really see my posts being coloured either, but merely based on my own experience. The stories about my guild's relationship with Iain I wish people would put to rest. For sure it (further) changed my opinion about Iain, but the image of TT wanting Iain's blood for banning me for 3 days is absolutely ridiculous; we really have better things to do.

This thread also isn't a tribute thread in my opinion. Another guy compared it to a 'going away party' for Iain and how it's completely off to say negative things about him. In my opnion this is a public topic on a public forum and people can share any opinion they have. What I find annoying is that some people just seem to forbid any criticism on Iain's work over the past few years.

Thirdly, I resent any "mr cool" tag. I call it as I see it based on the input of everyone else and am as inclined to take the piss out of myself as I am the next guy :).

/Salutes

I'll leave this as you told the people who were after Iain's blood to grow up, and not the people in this topic. I can only agree with you really.

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
Congrats on the new job Requiel!

Despite my view of your earlier work I honestly do wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year. I do hope you take note of my earlier pointers in where you have gone wrong and work on your weaknessess, or just work with games but not so close to customers, I think everyone knows your passionate for games but thats sadly not everything when it comes to working as a GM/CSR/PRdude. I think you have learnt alot though since you dont come across as stupid.

To some people in this thread, Jupitus (wtf man??) and even Roo among those.. calm down.. hmm? Its a goodbye to an old member of the community and you guys cant keep the lid on? Merry christmas to you guys aswell. You shouldnt behave in the manner you behave atm, I thought more of you guys, I honestly did, and still do. Just calm the F down will ya.. Have a beer, laugh alil, watch "what happens in vegas" and feel the love ;)

:cheers:

Belisar

One of Freddy's beloved
TT still bitter :lol:

Get over it

I am not in TT and never have been.

Nevertheless Req managed to make a big mistake over that incident imo and I agree with the comment that said it hastened the end. Please do not assume it is only TT who have that view.

I know everyone has their own views, I simply think he was too stubborn for his own good and perhaps a little too focussed on one realm.

Having said that I do hope his new role is an enjoyable one - life is too short to be harbouring a mass of resentment.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
i think Requiel was a secret sociopath.... he needed to let his inner geek rage out...

:m00:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom