Mage spec

Nunnan

Fledgling Freddie
Hey guys, these last few days i have been trying to find a spec that was first of all new, and directed towards Dmg and a high survival rate,

Arcane Magic 16 Pts
Arcane Focus 5/5
Arcane Concentration 5/5
Improved Dampen Magic 1/2
Improved Arcane Explosion 2/5
Evocation 1/1
Improved Mana Shield 2/2

Fire Magic 35 Pts
Improved Fireball 5/5
Impact 3/5
Ignite 5/5
Improved Fire Blast 5/5
Flame Throwing 2/2
Incinerate 2/2
Pyroblast 1/1
Burning Soul 3/3
Critical Mass 3/3
Fire Power 5/5
Combustion 1/1

i know it looks weird :) but take a look at it and tell me what you thing is totaly useless and what might be a good spec :)
thanks alot

Wyleia

Fledgling Freddie
Improved Arcane Explosion 2/5

^^^

5/5 in this talent. Else why bother putting anything into it? with 5/5 it becomes 'instant' which means you can cast it while moving, mobs hitting you dont slow your cast time of it.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
It's not even possible, you can't put points into improved mana shield without having 15 points in arcane; you have 14.

Btw, you save 105 mana on 2 talent points in Improved Mana Shield, you use mana shield often? Remember that it still drains 2 mana per point damage you take.

I haven't played Fire spec as of yet, but I reckon I'd rather have an instant pyroblast every 3 minutes than a guaranteed crit every 5 minutes. (Presence of Mind in arcane instead of Combustion) - that's just my opinion though.

If I was a fire mage (which I'm not, I'm arcane/frost) I would probably spec like this: (yes, I love Scorch)
Arcane Talents (21 points)

Arcane Focus - 5/5 points
Arcane Subtlety - 2/3 points - I like it atm for raids.
Arcane Concentration - 5/5 points
Evocation - 1/1 point
Improved Arcane Explosion - 5/5 points
Improved Counterspell - 2/2 points - Truly a "must have" imo.
Presence of Mind - 1/1 point

Frost Talents (0 points)

Fire Talents (30 points)

Improved Fireball - 5/5 points
Impact - 5/5 points
Flame Throwing - 2/2 points
Pyroblast - 1/1 point
Incinerate - 2/2 points
Burning Soul - 2/3 points
Improved Scorch - 5/5 points
Critical Mass - 3/3 points
Fire Power - 5/5 points
That's just my opinion, ymmv.

http://wowvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Talents.View&category_select_id=4

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Scorch is probably the best single nuke damage mage spell there is, why?

-It costs low mana, if you get a clearcast you can then arcane missile for free.
-It's damage variance for it's mana cost is good.
-It is 1.5s cast time.
-With impact 5 you get more stuns off compared to fireball.
-With ignite 5 scorch becomes a nasty spell, ignites double if you crit in a row.
-With incineration 2 you can have 4% more crit on scorch/fireblast too.

If i were you i would go the 30 fire 21 arcane route, you got 2 instant aoe fire spells then for instances, use scorch as main spell too, i miss fire a lot due to scorch.I am actually respeccing back to arcane/fire or fire/arcane once i got epic mount, i think frost is the way to go if you want to farm cash, but not until 50+ at least which is when you get frostbite/shatter combo at high levels.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Sycho said:
Scorch is probably the best single nuke damage mage spell there is, why?

-It costs low mana, if you get a clearcast you can then arcane missile for free.
-It's damage variance for it's mana cost is good.
-It is 1.5s cast time.
-With impact 5 you get more stuns off compared to fireball.
-With ignite 5 scorch becomes a nasty spell, ignites double if you crit in a row.
-With incineration 2 you can have 4% more crit on scorch/fireblast too.

If i were you i would go the 30 fire 21 arcane route, you got 2 instant aoe fire spells then for instances, use scorch as main spell too, i miss fire a lot due to scorch.I am actually respeccing back to arcane/fire or fire/arcane once i got epic mount, i think frost is the way to go if you want to farm cash, but not until 50+ at least which is when you get frostbite/shatter combo at high levels.
Quoted for truth :p

That's why I love Scorch so much (one of the most overlooked Mage spells there is imo). Don't forget Critical Mass 3/3 to boost the crit chance of Scorch up to +10% combined with Incineration - BBQ! :m00:

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
I have spoken to lv50+ fire mages who had never even used scorch at all really...until i explained stuff to them why they should use it and thank me for that, no wonder fire spec mages or arcane complain about drinking after two mobs often. :)

I did a scorch of 450+400s+400s(from ignite) on a skeleton flayer in western plaguelands, was four crits in a row if i remember, just shows how dangerous it can be with good crit rate.Think you can reach like 25% crit rate on scorch as 28 arcane/23 fire with dire maul crit items, mauradon sword and some others from stratholme/scholomance which i have forgotten.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Scorch and fire blast are the only fire spells on my main quickbar. I mainly frostbolt though unless I need a quick nuke - with my talent spec frostbolt is more damage per mana.

exponentiaL

Fledgling Freddie
What about this for a fire mage?

Arcane Magic 21 Pts
Improved Arcane Missile 5/5
Arcane Concentration 5/5
Improved Dampen Magic 2/2
Improved Arcane Explosion 5/5
Evocation 1/1
Improved Counterspell 2/2
Presence of Mind 1/1

Fire Magic 30 Pts
Improved Fireball 5/5
Ignite 4/5
Flame Throwing 2/2
Incinerate 2/2
Pyroblast 1/1
Burning Soul 3/3
Improved Scorch 5/5
Critical Mass 3/3
Fire Power 5/5

Only thing I'm doubting about is will impact > ignite or? I'll be using alot of fire spells so the stun will proc quite some times... though the extra damage from burn could be nice with a pyroblast..?

Thanks in advance,

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Instead of improved scorch 5/5 go with impact 5/5....improved scorch dots overide each other if you use it as main spell(re-apply) which you will do.Though you might want ignite 5/5 too.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Drop burning soul, useless ability. If you're getting hit, frost nova and move or spam arcane missiles.

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
At least drop one point in burning soul, the 15 % for a talent point is a waste

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Sycho said:
Instead of improved scorch 5/5 go with impact 5/5....improved scorch dots overide each other if you use it as main spell(re-apply) which you will do.Though you might want ignite 5/5 too.
I would recommend against that decision:

Blizzard said:
Improved Scorch (Talent) - Redesign. Scorch spells have a 20/40/60/80/100% chance to cause your target to be vulnerable to Fire damage. This vulnerability increases the Fire damage dealt to your target by 2% and can be stacked up to 5 times for a total of 10% increased Fire damage.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
That's the change coming but remember you need to do five scorch spells to get that 10% to go off.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Indeedy, but it would only take 7.5 seconds (give or take interruptions and/or lag/player hesitation) of casting to reach that 10%, which isn't all that long considering the casting time of many other mage spells (from memory Frostbolt is the 2nd fastest casting dd spell including talents(?)).

Found meself to be using scorch a good deal since my mage hit 22, even without talents it's a good spell considering the casting speed, though that might be because I don't like feeling useless and usually when i'm in a group they manage to kill mobs before my second fireball or whatever has been fired, almost relegating me to a pseudo CC role :p.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Sycho said:
That's the change coming but remember you need to do five scorch spells to get that 10% to go off.
I'm grouped with one more mage 99% of the time :)

Jorma

Loyal Freddie
I am specced like this at mom, I like it alot sofar

21 arcane
30 Frost

Improved Arcane Missiles
Rank 5/5
Gives you a 100% chance to avoid interruption caused by damage while channeling Arcane Missiles.

Arcane Concentration
Rank 5/5
Gives you a 10% chance of entering a Clearcasting state after any damage spell hits a target. The Clearcasting state reduces the mana cost of your next damage spell by 100%.

Improved Arcane Explosion
Rank 5/5
Reduces the casting time of your Arcane Explosion spell by 1.5 sec.

Evocation
Rank 1/1
Instant cast 10 min cooldown
While channeling this spell, your mana regeneration is active and increased by 1500%. Lasts 8 sec.

Improved Mana Shield
Rank 2/2
Increases the damage absorbed by your Mana Shield by 75%.

Improved Counterspell
Rank 2/2
Gives your Counterspell a 100% chance to silence the target for 4 sec.

Presence of Mind
Rank 1/1
Instant cast 3 min cooldown
When activated, your next Mage spell with a casting time less then 10 sec becomes an instant cast spell.

Arcane Total: 21

Frost Mastery
Improved Frostbolt
Rank 5/5
Reduces the casting time of your Frostbolt spell by 0.5 sec.

Permafrost
Rank 2/5
Increases the duration of your chill effects by 1.5 secs.

Ice Shards
Rank 4/5
Increases the critical strike damage bonus of your Frost spells by 80%.

Improved Frost Nova
Rank 2/2
Reduces the cooldown of your Frost Nova spell by 4 sec.

Piercing Ice
Rank 3/3
Increases the damage done by your Frost spells by 6%.

Cold Snap
Rank 1/1
Instant cast 10 min cooldown
When activated, this spell finishes the cooldown on all of your cold spells.

Arctic Reach
Rank 2/2
Increases the range of your Frostbolt spell and the radius of your Frost Nova and Cone of Cold spells by 20%.

Shatter
Rank 5/5
Increases the critical strike chance of your Frost spells against frozen targets by 50%.

Ice Block
Rank 1/1
13 Mana
Instant cast 5 min cooldown
You become encased in a block of ice, protecting you from all physical attacks and spells for 10 sec, but during that time you cannot attack, move or cast spells.

Frostbite
Rank 5/5
Gives your chill effects a 15% chance to freeze the target for 5 sec.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
I'm curious, as I can imagine fire/arcance to go 30/21 or similar; why with frost/arcane though?

Jorma

Loyal Freddie
Just can´t give up PoM, like it far to much Ice Barrier and imp. CoC are both nice but I have sofar found PoM more useful then IB and other frost talents more useful then imp. CoC. I am by no means saying that my spec is the best possible and I am not sure I will keep this spec on my mage. Just trying it and liking it sofar.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Imp coc 3 is far better than pom for a frost mage....pom only worth it as fire or arcane spec in my view.You can crit 1000s with imp cone 3 after a frost nova, with coldsnap you can do twice in a row.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Bah, silly mages. My warlocks pwns j00! (sorry, been reading the DAoC boards :eek: )

Cyradix

FH is my second home
This is my mage spec :

Arcane Talents (18 points)

Improved Arcane Missiles - 5/5 points
Gives you a 100% chance to avoid interruption caused by damage while channeling Arcane Missiles.

Arcane Concentration - 5/5 points
Gives you a 10% chance of entering a Clearcasting state after any damage spell hits a target. The Clearcasting state reduces the mana cost of your next damage spell by 100%.

Evocation - 1/1 point
While channeling this spell, your mana regeneration is active and increased by 1500%. Lasts 8 seconds.

Improved Arcane Explosion - 5/5 points
Reduces the casting time of your Arcane Explosion by 1.5 seconds.

Improved Counterspell - 2/2 points
Gives your Counterspell a 100% chance to silence the target for 4 seconds.

Frost Talents (33 points)

Permafrost - 5/5 points
Increases the duration of your chill effects by 3 seconds.

Improved Frost Nova - 2/2 points
Reduces the cooldown of your Frost Nova spell by 4 seconds.

Ice Shards - 5/5 points
Increases the critical strike damage bonus of your Frost spells by 100%.

Piercing Ice - 3/3 points
Increases the damage done by your frost spells by 6%.

Cold Snap - 1/1 point
When activated, this spell finishes the cooldown on all of your cold spells.

Arctic Reach - 2/2 points
Increases the range of your Frostbolt spell and the radius of your Frost Nova and Cone of Cold spells by 20%.

Shatter - 5/5 points
Increases the critical strike chance of your frost spells against frozen targets by 50%.

Ice Block - 1/1 point
You become encased in a block of ice, protecting you from all physical attacks and spells for 10 seconds, but during that time you cannot attack, move, or cast spells.

Improved Cone of Cold - 3/3 points
Increases the damage dealt by your Cone of Cold spell by 35%.

Frostbite - 5/5 points
Gives your chill effects a 15% chance to freeze the target for 5 seconds.

Ice Barrier - 1/1 point
Instantly shields you, absorbing 455 damage. Lasts 1 minute. While the shield holds, spells will not be interrupted.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Jorma said:
Just can´t give up PoM, like it far to much Ice Barrier and imp. CoC are both nice but I have sofar found PoM more useful then IB and other frost talents more useful then imp. CoC. I am by no means saying that my spec is the best possible and I am not sure I will keep this spec on my mage. Just trying it and liking it sofar.
IMO - drop permafrost (it sucks, hard). Get shards 5, get imp coc. Drop arctic reach, get more imp. coc. Much better template with very little lost compared to yours.
Instant 500 damage ae that can crit for 1k is sooo much better than 1.5s extra of chill and slightly more range.
Even if you want the arctic reach, do yourself a favour and get rid of permafrost, it really is lame.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Danya said:
IMO - drop permafrost (it sucks, hard).
Even with the changes to Blizzard? (as that's where I imagine it would be put to best use).

Cyradix

FH is my second home
Tasslehoff said:
You haven't even got a mage Cyradix :p

You should spend less time playing with bunnies and more time talking to guildmembers :p
My mage is called Narilka :)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Whisperess said:
Even with the changes to Blizzard? (as that's where I imagine it would be put to best use).
Yup, still sucks. You want the roots to get more crits with shatter, and blizzard doesn't crit. Besides which his template doesn't have imp blizzard anyway. :p
Imp. bliz isn't complete garbage any more, it's just not as good as pretty much anything else in the frost tree.

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
Cyradix said:
You should spend less time playing with bunnies and more time talking to guildmembers :p
My mage is called Narilka :)

Narilka... The level 3 undead mage? =p

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Danya said:
and blizzard doesn't crit
Still hoping for a fix there :(

After all, AM does crit; guess Blizzard not critting is either a bug or a "fix" to not make that spell overpowered.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
None of the warlock AEs crit either. I'm thinking it's some sort of design decision. Still makes imp bliz rather useless. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom