Macs with Apple chips

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Not really aimed at us though. Good luck to those who would find it useful to have a powerful laptop that doesn’t weigh two tonnes and is still powerful when not plugged in.

I’ll be fine with my M1 MacBook Air and my plugged in Lenovo Legion 5 Pro for a while yet though.
What's the odds there's some gamer out there who'll try to install the new Steam OS from Valve on one

Ormorof

FH is my second home
My 2012 gpu had 5 teraflops.

This is literally just make a bigger board and buying out all of TSMCs 5nm availability so amd/intel have to wait, such a hilarious dick move and yet nobody has said shit about it.

Price/perf is disgusting though. Given memory is shared between cpu and gpu if you want 32gb + 1tb ssd you're looking at £3600, and if you want 64gb+1tb then it's £3900.
Definitely necessary for c suiters to send emails though.

From company perspective dropping 4k to keep someone they pay 3x that per month happy and (hopefully) making impact is peanuts

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Some opinions after 3 weeks:

Felt a little bit strange having a laptop which is larger than the previous generation - but it's worth the extra weight/size. Display is great (the notch is fine), speakers are better than before, more flexibility for ports, good riddence to the touchbar, keyboard finally feels good again, and I can actually do work whilst connected to an external display without the fans being permanently on.

The only thing I'd ask for from a hardware point of view is if they could release slightly updated hardware models on a regular cadance from now on instead of them having to re-invent things before they launch a new model. I don't expect miracles every year, keep the existing design - I just don't want to be stuck in 2 years waiting an undetermined amount of time and having to purchase an out of date model.

As for software - most of it now works fine, but there's just a few edge cases which aren't optimal. Dropbox isn't native yet (but there's Maestral), Discord's native app is currently in testing, etc. Rosetta 2 seems to handle them, so all good for now.

Only slight pain is with developer tools - at least for me. Modern versions of Python (3.8+) and Node.js (12+) work, however occasionally there's a library which might have an issue. Older versions will usually work with Rosetta 2 - but it means a weird setup where you need two versions of Homebrew and some things not quite working as expected in some places. Over time this will become less of an issue as more of the projects I work on will either be starting from scratch with updated tooling, or can justify with an upgrade if they need more work.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Some opinions after 3 weeks:

Felt a little bit strange having a laptop which is larger than the previous generation - but it's worth the extra weight/size. Display is great (the notch is fine), speakers are better than before, more flexibility for ports, good riddence to the touchbar, keyboard finally feels good again, and I can actually do work whilst connected to an external display without the fans being permanently on.

The only thing I'd ask for from a hardware point of view is if they could release slightly updated hardware models on a regular cadance from now on instead of them having to re-invent things before they launch a new model. I don't expect miracles every year, keep the existing design - I just don't want to be stuck in 2 years waiting an undetermined amount of time and having to purchase an out of date model.

As for software - most of it now works fine, but there's just a few edge cases which aren't optimal. Dropbox isn't native yet (but there's Maestral), Discord's native app is currently in testing, etc. Rosetta 2 seems to handle them, so all good for now.

Only slight pain is with developer tools - at least for me. Modern versions of Python (3.8+) and Node.js (12+) work, however occasionally there's a library which might have an issue. Older versions will usually work with Rosetta 2 - but it means a weird setup where you need two versions of Homebrew and some things not quite working as expected in some places. Over time this will become less of an issue as more of the projects I work on will either be starting from scratch with updated tooling, or can justify with an upgrade if they need more work.

Holy Moly, how are you old chap?!

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Good - enjoying the lurking ;)

Part of me wants to say that I'm eagerly awaiting Camelot Unchained, but it's been over 8 years since I backed that!
lol. It’ll be arriving at the same time Jesus returns. If not after.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Got an M1 Max from work today, lets see what breaks in my normal workflow now :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Curious about this: Am contemplating making the switch to the nasty fruit company.
Been using them for all non-gaming (and some light-gaming) for 7 years now. Not tempted to go back. Especially since the M1 chips.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
So far main difference is that it is incredibly quiet, even running multiple IDEs with gradle/sbt/mypy tasks it makes almost no noise at all. Old one would be ready for take off with jet engine noises with that load

Wij

I am a FH squatter
So far main difference is that it is incredibly quiet, even running multiple IDEs with gradle/sbt/mypy tasks it makes almost no noise at all. Old one would be ready for take off with jet engine noises with that load
Yeh. A bloke I worked with at Morrisons had an Intel 16" MBP and just having Parallels open would mean it sounded like a vacuum cleaner :)

New ones hardly ever make a noise (and my M1 Air is fanless, so silent).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom