Wij

I am a FH squatter
Shut up and take my money tbh

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Shut up and take my money tbh

Hmmm, yeah - I agree it's impressive, but the day Apple get a single quid of mine is when hell freezes over... ;)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Dunno, not doing anything for me. Even less upgradable computers?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Ordered a 16GB 1TB Air in Silver instead of my usual Space Grey.

Bite me.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Tastes like turtle necks

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Sweet, sweet turtle necks...

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Got the M1 MacBook Air now.

Best single-core performance of any CPU ever. Web browsing has never been this snappy tbh.

Also it does Google Meetings better than my old i7 model did and the i7 had the fan going at full blast whereas this is silent.

Happy days :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Oh, it ran Fortnite completely playable and silent and barely sipping battery. Not that I need that ofc.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Is that was passes as good for a £1k mac? It can do video calling and run Fortnite?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Is that was passes as good for a £1k mac? It can do video calling and run Fortnite?
He's just fronting, we all know he's just downloading p0rn

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Um - not really. The fact that it is faster in everyday tasks like web browsing and Visual Studio Code than any machine I've ever used is what passes as good.

The Fortnite thing is just an interesting aside for a machine with no dedicated graphics and no fans :)

The Video calling thing was actually a bit of a dig at my previous, Intel, Mac which couldn't do it without making a racket.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
He's just fronting, we all know he's just downloading p0rn
It is a perfectly good machine for pr0n. I can put another video on a 4k monitor with no dropped frames. Only dropped mess.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Thought this was a pretty interesting take from el reg Apple's M1: the fastest and bestest ever silicon = revolution? Nah, there's far more interesting stuff happening in tech that matters to everyone

Personally I'd be more interested in Apple hardware if it did not require Apple software.

I think Microsoft would be smart to get Windows on ARM up and running on a M1 Mac Mini. I'd run Windows 10 on one.

Apple seem to have said the ball is in MS court, no other PC manufacturer is going to get close to that performance with ARM, it's a fixed set of hardware to support.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
The Fortnite thing is just an interesting aside for a machine with no dedicated graphics and no fans :)
Incidentally, for gaming, it easily outperforms something like this:

Which costs over £100, has two big fans and uses about 20 times the power.

Not saying it's a gaming machine. Just shows how much more efficient the chip design is.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Do they have more than one button on the mouse yet?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Waiting for next gen before committing for work laptop, too many third party bank crap wont run or compile on ARM so would break my workflow.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
A laptop with a notch. Wankers.
tbh it's only there for the system menu. That part blacks out entirely for 'full-screen' mode. Not the biggest deal imo.

The chips' power and efficiency sounds amazing. Will need benchmarks to prove it.

On the flip side I don't like the new look and fuck me they are expensive.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
tbh it's only there for the system menu. That part blacks out entirely for 'full-screen' mode. Not the biggest deal imo.

The chips' power and efficiency sounds amazing. Will need benchmarks to prove it.

On the flip side I don't like the new look and fuck me they are expensive.
If the 70% leap over the original M1 is true then Intel/AMD are going to need to knuckle down

Wij

I am a FH squatter
If the 70% leap over the original M1 is true then Intel/AMD are going to need to knuckle down
And nVidia if it can compete with a laptop 3070 even when it's running on battery power and at 45W. The TDP on my laptop 3070 is 145W and it runs like shit if you unplug it :)

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Obviously, it's much more expensive than a PS5 too :)
Except you can probably actually buy one because Apple's supply chain

ECA

I am a FH squatter
More GPU Teraflops than a PS5!

Obviously, it's much more expensive than a PS5 too :)

My 2012 gpu had 5 teraflops.

This is literally just make a bigger board and buying out all of TSMCs 5nm availability so amd/intel have to wait, such a hilarious dick move and yet nobody has said shit about it.

Price/perf is disgusting though. Given memory is shared between cpu and gpu if you want 32gb + 1tb ssd you're looking at £3600, and if you want 64gb+1tb then it's £3900.
Definitely necessary for c suiters to send emails though.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
A laptop with a notch. Wankers.

Yes but it has physical buttons on the keyboard. On the keyboard I tell you.

It's that kind of far reaching innovation that means Apple can charge the big bucks to gullible people it's customers.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Price/perf is disgusting though. Given memory is shared between cpu and gpu if you want 32gb + 1tb ssd you're looking at £3600, and if you want 64gb+1tb then it's £3900.
Definitely necessary for c suiters to send emails though.
Fucking rofl.

Victims :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Fucking rofl.

Victims :)
Not really aimed at us though. Good luck to those who would find it useful to have a powerful laptop that doesn’t weigh two tonnes and is still powerful when not plugged in.

I’ll be fine with my M1 MacBook Air and my plugged in Lenovo Legion 5 Pro for a while yet though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom