Living in London

Jeros

Part of the furniture
I pay £280 all bills included as a lodger in Edinburgh.

If I can get a grad job on a decent salary I really won't know what to do with it all.

eksdee

FH is my second home
The rent here is a joke. If it weren't for my partner there's no way I'd live here. The lifestyle and city in general is great, just too expensive for its own good.

On the tube side of things, living at Blackhorse Road is great, 20min commute and it's never busy.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
how much do you pay eksdee?

Someone at my work has just put their flat on the market and bought a narrowboat, their husband has quit his job so they can constantly move it to avoid paying any mooring fees, I think they might be in for a bit of a surprise.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I wouldn't bother myself, for what you pay in inner London you can get a fuckton better quality of life just outside and only add maybe 30 mins to your journey.

Each to their own and all that.

eksdee

FH is my second home
how much do you pay eksdee?

Someone at my work has just put their flat on the market and bought a narrowboat, their husband has quit his job so they can constantly move it to avoid paying any mooring fees, I think they might be in for a bit of a surprise.

At the moment 900/month for a 2 bedroom flat, looking around for our next move and seen plenty of nice looking 2 bed houses for around £1000-1100 per month. The rent is frankly insane, but by London standards it's quite good. http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/29765435?search_identifier=7df3e087599d850f3f1db59b9e05bef0 quite like the look of this f.ex. Really like living in Walthamstow as it has pretty much everything you could want if you want to stay around here (big market, amazing international supermarket, some really nice restaurants, loads of good pubs) while also being 20mins on the Vic line to Oxford Street if you want to go central for anything. Admittedly, anywhere on the Vic line is good. If I could afford it I'd like to live in Highbury/Islington area.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
At the moment 900/month for a 2 bedroom flat, looking around for our next move and seen plenty of nice looking 2 bed houses for around £1000-1100 per month. The rent is frankly insane, but by London standards it's quite good. http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/29765435?search_identifier=7df3e087599d850f3f1db59b9e05bef0 quite like the look of this f.ex. Really like living in Walthamstow as it has pretty much everything you could want if you want to stay around here (big market, amazing international supermarket, some really nice restaurants, loads of good pubs) while also being 20mins on the Vic line to Oxford Street if you want to go central for anything. Admittedly, anywhere on the Vic line is good. If I could afford it I'd like to live in Highbury/Islington area.

Jebus, in about 8 years you could own that dump outside of London at 1.1k a month.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
go Canada Chilbacon! I'll come visit: one of the holidays in my top 3 list is road-tripping the Canuk rockies and the massive forrests in BC.

Chilly

Balls of steel
go Canada Chilbacon! I'll come visit: one of the holidays in my top 3 list is road-tripping the Canuk rockies and the massive forrests in BC.
Yeah but it's predicated on getting a job there and I don't *really* want or need a job.

rynnor

Rockhound
Bloody freezing too! Nice in the summer but winters are evil.

Did think seriously of emigrating there but the jobs market was a bit iffy not to mention they do that 'spend all day at work doing not much' thing the yanks do.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Its a pretty town, and you've obviously got all of British Columbia on your doorstep if you're the outdoorsy type, but like a lot of pretty cities, there's not that much going on. I much prefer Seattle, even if it is in the US.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Its a pretty town, and you've obviously got all of British Columbia on your doorstep if you're the outdoorsy type, but like a lot of pretty cities, there's not that much going on. I much prefer Seattle, even if it is in the US.
Well it is just down the road! Easy for a weekend mission. The only reason I'm considering it is because I'm currently in the middle of the interview process for a company called Demonware (part of Activision) who would do all my visa jazz and I have a mate out there. I wouldnt do it just randomly on my own.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Bit early for a bungalow isn't it Tom? :)

Are you planning for the future or something? I thought only nearly-dead people are allowed to live in them...

Jeros

Part of the furniture
The average age for purchasing of ones own home in the UK is now 36.

Mother of fucking god.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Right...I've fucked off those places in Elephant and Castle. They were actually pretty shitty inside really. Who buys a £600k flat to rent and then furnishes from the rejected donations at the Help The Aged shop? Cheap bastards.

Got two viewings tomorrow;

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-27374694.html
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-42306476.html

It's getting more urgent that I move, so unless both of these are full of rats and/or hobos then I might have found my new home :D

TdC

hmm that Junnction one with the floating staircase looks sweet but seems small, with a small balcony. the other is obv larger with a larger balcony. I bought my current place mostly because of the balcony. if you value such things that is. still, that one with the stairs....love it! hope stuff works out for you Killswitch.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Okay. Offer in on the first one. It actually has a balcony downstairs and a terrace upstairs plus a private garden area. Only problem I can see is that it's VERY new so no doubt there will be a snag list as long as my arm! Fingers crossed!

Vae

Resident Freddy
Okay. Offer in on the first one. It actually has a balcony downstairs and a terrace upstairs plus a private garden area. Only problem I can see is that it's VERY new so no doubt there will be a snag list as long as my arm! Fingers crossed!

Doesn't look like the windows have curtains/blinds - isn't that an issue? Also the second one is cheaper, larger and looks more homely...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Don't want to piss on your chips, but is that "bedroom" completely open plan with the rest of the flat? Split levels like this are cool-looking (I've stayed in a couple of hotels with that arrangement) but in reality the whole flat is one big room. So, cooking smells linger, and if you have anyone staying over (on the couch I guess), you don't really have any privacy. In fact the whole flat looks like a bit of a goldfish bowl from that perspective.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Don't want to piss on your chips, but is that "bedroom" completely open plan with the rest of the flat? Split levels like this are cool-looking (I've stayed in a couple of hotels with that arrangement) but in reality the whole flat is one big room. So, cooking smells linger, and if you have anyone staying over (on the couch I guess), you don't really have any privacy. In fact the whole flat looks like a bit of a goldfish bowl from that perspective.
Yeah, my mate has a place like this and it's really not that great.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
I'm going for it more for the location and the spec of the place. I'm checking out the other place today and since that has two rooms it's likely to be a better bet. To be brutally honest I've never lived by myself and went straight from Uni to sharing with a mate to sharing with my (recently) ex to sharing with my ex's family (where I am at the moment). So I think that somewhere "cool" is quite appealing right now! I can find somewhere practical in 6 months! :)

TdC

pfft I think it looks awesome. enjoy the hell out of yourself Killswitch!

edit: erm that actually reads quite dodgy...but I mean well, I promise!

Chilly

Balls of steel

edit: erm that actually reads quite dodgy...but I mean well, I promise!
Stop enjoying the hell out of yourself in public ya dirty bugger.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Doesn't look like the windows have curtains/blinds - isn't that an issue? Also the second one is cheaper, larger and looks more homely...

It has a blind now, a massive floor-to-ceiling thing. The second one is bigger and has a bigger balcony, perfect for a BBQ. Shame it has spectacular views over the local Recycling Centre, really!

Now I've seen the second place, I actually think it might be a better bet. Two rooms, better internet (FTTC instead of crappy ADSL2+), nice quiet area, on-site gym and so on. I've put a cheeky offer in on that one too. If I can get the right price, I think that might be the one. Only thing is, no GCH and it's got those fucking horrible Storage Heater things instead of proper central heating. Fine in Summer but in Winter they really suck. Can't have everything I guess.

2013-07-23 16.12.42.jpg2013-07-23 16.14.31.jpg

It's really not that bad to be honest. There is a blind that covers the entire window and door and the balcony comes out far enough that unless I was actually shagging a lass bent over the edge of the balcony (or, more likely, having a lonely, shameful, tear-filled wank over the edge of the balcony...) I don't think people below could see anything. HEARING is another matter entirely...

My offer has actually been accepted today so now I'm frantically stalling while I wait for the offer on the other place to be accepted or rejected and then I get to make the decision.

Annoyingly there's an even BIGGER and NICER place in the same block as the two-bed with a river-view from the balcony, but it's more money again and I don't think I can stretch to it.

2013-07-23 17.11.20.jpg

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I provided to DG just above...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom