Living in London

Killswitch

FH is my second home
I still think you can have that vision of your dream home because it looks like your budget is OK, you're just not casting your net wide enough (although frankly I have no idea what your "walk to work" definition is, or indeed where the centre of that circle is).

City Thameslink / St Pauls is pretty much the centre of the circle. I'd be happy with a 30 minute walk so maybe a couple of miles (especially if there's a bus/tube route for wet/lazy/hungover-as-fuck days!)

I was trying to remember this URL! Thanks :)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
If you can't find anything within walking distance then look at other places in zone 1 or 2.

Canada Water is really nice. You get on the jubilee line for 10 minutes to London Bridge....walk from there.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
If you can't find anything within walking distance then look at other places in zone 1 or 2.

Canada Water is really nice. You get on the jubilee line for 10 minutes to London Bridge....walk from there.

I'm actually looking at Putney at the moment...I could get the River Bus to Blackfriars! Now that would be a fun commute (unless it was raining, which it probably would be...)

Your money goes a lot further if you compare the place in Elephant and Castle with, for example, this place;

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-27509853.html

but you have to factor in travel costs and suchlike.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Putney isn't City living, really. It's got pretty shit tube access, too. You want to be within 5-10 mins of 2-3 lines really.

Killswitch

FH is my second home

Couple of nice looking ones there...going to be a busy Saturday if I can get some viewings. Cheers mate.

Putney isn't City living, really. It's got pretty shit tube access, too. You want to be within 5-10 mins of 2-3 lines really.

Putney is kind of an "either or" thing...if I wasn't going for a central location, it's a nice area and still much closer to work than where I am now (Ruislip Gardens). And no Central Line! :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
425 a week, damn. If at all possible, try and find someone to live the dream with you. You pay a massive premium for 1 bed flats because there's no economy of scale with bathrooms etc.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Well the reason I'm looking to move from my current rent-free place is that I'm sharing with my (recently) ex-girlfriend's pregnant sister and her husband. Things are a little strained as you can imagine. I'm more than willing to pay a premium for some "alone time" for a few months! After 6 or 12 months I'll probably look to move either somewhere cheaper outside the city or find a flat-share and/or willing woman depending on what happens. I get the point though, it is a hell of a lot of money for not much space.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Just done some maths. If I got a decent place out near where I live now, I'd pay perhaps £550 less than I would for this place. I'd pay £200 per month for a travelcard so the difference is £350. I reckon I'd save about 50 hours a month of commuting (5 minutes per day instead of ~180 minutes per day) so if I value my time at more than £7 per hour then it's good value.

You have to take the quality of the living experience into account of course, but even so saving TWO WHOLE DAYS on the Central Line every month has got to be worth something, right?

Chilly

Balls of steel
You have to take the quality of the living experience into account of course, but even so saving TWO WHOLE DAYS on the Central Line every month has got to be worth something, right?
Absolutely. Depends what you want to do with your spare time.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Absolutely. Depends what you want to do with your spare time.

NOT be on the Central Line! Hell, if I spend it at home playing my guitar that's still good value as far as I am concerned.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
If you fancy something different, but still in the centre of London (or thereabouts), what about renting in a canal boat for 12 months?

Killswitch

FH is my second home
If you fancy something different, but still in the centre of London (or thereabouts), what about renting in a canal boat for 12 months?

Hmm. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Pricey but looks a nice place and to live so close to the city centre will be pretty cool imo.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

rynnor

Rockhound
Narrowboats are for boat chavs though and horrible in the winter - I would look for a flat somewhere along the Metropolitan line - nice upgraded tube trains with air con for the summer and good access into the city.

Chilly

Balls of steel
I own a 60 foot narrow boat. I'd never, ever live on it. Maintenance nightmare, leaky, stupidly shaped, impractical, terribly insulated, WOBBLY, noisy in a storm, trivial to burgle...

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Good god a thread full of people who think its good to be near the London tube.....da horra!

Chilly

Balls of steel
Good god a thread full of people who think its good to be near the London tube.....da horra!
If you live in London and you have any kind of social life it's mandatory.

rynnor

Rockhound
I never used to get the tube in the summer. Buses, and I'd just about tolerate the District line.

Its nice on the new ones - Met line is fully Aircon now but Circle/Hammersmith have like 1 in 5 so you are praying on a hot day...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom