Living in London

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Okay...I want some thoughts on something. I'm living with friends in London at the moment. I earn a decent wage, not spectacular by City of London standards, but I'm pretty comfortable.

I want to get my own place and I'm thinking about spending a year or two in a Proper London Bachelor Pad. I'm getting a little scared by the costs, although I can afford them.

So the question is would I be stupid to pay out £1650 a month (plus bills) for a 30th floor flat in Central London? It's about 20 minutes walk from my office, 2 minutes walk from the Tube, close to Central London, close to lots of good bars and restaurants.

Oh...and I can get 1Gb/s symmetric broadband for £60pcm.

I'm only thinking about doing this for 12 months and it's going to be 12 months where I'm not saving much, but the alternative is going to be paying £1000-£1250pcm (still a lot) 45 minutes or more away from London and having crappy broadband.

Does anyone have experience with "proper" city living?

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
If you can afford that without help then you're earning a bloody decent wage!! Personally I hate living in the city and you couldn't pay me to move back up there. However, it's convenient for you and as you can afford it I say why not?

Chilly

Balls of steel
Okay...I want some thoughts on something. I'm living with friends in London at the moment. I earn a decent wage, not spectacular by City of London standards, but I'm pretty comfortable.

I want to get my own place and I'm thinking about spending a year or two in a Proper London Bachelor Pad. I'm getting a little scared by the costs, although I can afford them.

So the question is would I be stupid to pay out £1650 a month (plus bills) for a 30th floor flat in Central London? It's about 20 minutes walk from my office, 2 minutes walk from the Tube, close to Central London, close to lots of good bars and restaurants.

Oh...and I can get 1Gb/s symmetric broadband for £60pcm.

I'm only thinking about doing this for 12 months and it's going to be 12 months where I'm not saving much, but the alternative is going to be paying £1000-£1250pcm (still a lot) 45 minutes or more away from London and having crappy broadband.

Depending on what you want to get out of city living, then that could be a very fun move. Cheap cabs home from bars, easy commute, nice place (?) to take birds back to etc. I live in London, but only because I'm too lazy to move away, I don't need to be here at all any more.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Depending on what you want to get out of city living, then that could be a very fun move. Cheap cabs home from bars, easy commute, nice place (?) to take birds back to etc. I live in London, but only because I'm too lazy to move away, I don't need to be here at all any more.

Elephant and Castle, so not spectacular but not horrific either and the places look really great. Viewing a couple of places at 6pm tonight.

If you can afford that without help then you're earning a bloody decent wage!! Personally I hate living in the city and you couldn't pay me to move back up there. However, it's convenient for you and as you can afford it I say why not?

I moved down here for work in January and I'm still liking the city so far. I certainly prefer it to The Good Life up in Yorkshire, but I imagine it'll wear pretty thin over time. That's one reason I'm thinking about doing this now, while I'm still loving the City. I quite fancy waking up to a view of Big Ben and the London Eye every morning!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I spent three years living smack in the centre of London (Marble Arch) and I loved it. Not a big fan of Elephant & Castle personally (sarf of the river innit?) but its a nice lifestyle for a while. Having said that, I got a lot more for my money when I moved to Shepherd's Bush and its hardly the boonies, you're still only 25 minutes from the West End.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Have a look east - area can be a bit scrappy but it's real close to the city and in E2 I can get to work in the city 20 mins on bus, 10 mins and £10 max in a black cab. Nice 2 bed flat 1300 pcm plus bills.

Edit - and they film Luther here!

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.

I'm less than 5 minutes from St Pauls so I'd class that as "City", Elephant and Castle is the 'burbs to me :p

I guess it depends on what the main problem(s) you have with where you currently live. I've moved from Zone 3 Northern Line to Zone 1 walk-to-work if I wanted to distance about 18 months ago. Yes it costs a scary amount more but personally the 75-90 minutes each day I no longer have to spend on rush hour tube is worth it alone, especially on days like today (31C in the shade in central London this evening, add at least another 10C for the tube trip.) Also the money saved on travel can be a few hundred quid a month which does offset some of that rent increase.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Elephant and Castle, so not spectacular but not horrific either and the places look really great. Viewing a couple of places at 6pm tonight.

I think it's a great idea to live in central London. If you can afford to do it then do it. You won't regret it!
Have you looked around Borough area? It's quite nice around there for very similar money!

May be a bit further for your work and that but being very near London Bridge can't hurt!

Killswitch

FH is my second home
I spent three years living smack in the centre of London (Marble Arch) and I loved it. Not a big fan of Elephant & Castle personally (sarf of the river innit?) but its a nice lifestyle for a while. Having said that, I got a lot more for my money when I moved to Shepherd's Bush and its hardly the boonies, you're still only 25 minutes from the West End.

I have some friends in Shepherds Bush (yes, they're Australian...) and they seem to like it there...I think it's more the building and the apartments that appeal the most. I'm not going to rush into anything and Shepherds Bush is on the radar, but I bet I can't see the London Eye from the windows there. Or get 1Gb/s internet! :)

Also I would give my left bollock if it meant I never had to use the Central Line again...

Have a look east - area can be a bit scrappy but it's real close to the city and in E2 I can get to work in the city 20 mins on bus, 10 mins and £10 max in a black cab. Nice 2 bed flat 1300 pcm plus bills.

Edit - and they film Luther here!

My colleague is trying to get me to move to Leytonstone. It looks decent actually. I just don't know the East of London *at all* so I'd have to really do my research and I am so very, very lazy.

I'm less than 5 minutes from St Pauls so I'd class that as "City", Elephant and Castle is the 'burbs to me :p

I guess it depends on what the main problem(s) you have with where you currently live. I've moved from Zone 3 Northern Line to Zone 1 walk-to-work if I wanted to distance about 18 months ago. Yes it costs a scary amount more but personally the 75-90 minutes each day I no longer have to spend on rush hour tube is worth it alone, especially on days like today (31C in the shade in central London this evening, add at least another 10C for the tube trip.) Also the money saved on travel can be a few hundred quid a month which does offset some of that rent increase.

I work about 2 minutes from St Pauls over in Farringdon so E&C is basically a walk up past Southwark and Blackfriars. I spend an hour each way commuting on the bloody Central Line currently and usually arrive at work (and back home) ready to do murder. Horrible, violent, sweaty murder. Being able to just stroll home after work would be heaven. Plus I can stay out late and not have to get the last Central Line train on a weekend! To be honest if I could get closer to work and get something decent for similar money, I'd probably be up for it. I'll have to ask Lord Rightmove tonight.

I think it's a great idea to live in central London. If you can afford to do it then do it. You won't regret it!
Have you looked around Borough area? It's quite nice around there for very similar money!

May be a bit further for your work and that but being very near London Bridge can't hurt!

Saw some places in Borough advertised but as I said to DG I think it's the building and the apartments that really sell it for me.

2013-07-17 17.50.58.jpg2013-07-17 18.29.14.jpg2013-07-17 18.29.39.jpg2013-07-17 18.29.48.jpg2013-07-17 18.33.54.jpg2013-07-17 18.34.30.jpg

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Elephant is a fucking shit hole. I'd not pay a tenner to live there. If you want bachelor living south of the river with good commute then go Clapham, battersea , brixton.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Also in the areas I mention you get lots of young affluent people, and less of the scum that reside around elephant. I worked there for 18 months and it's horrible.

rynnor

Rockhound
And more importantly - as dagaffer mentioned - its Saaf of der Rivaa!!

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Also in the areas I mention you get lots of young affluent people, and less of the scum that reside around elephant. I worked there for 18 months and it's horrible.

It's definitely not as polished as some areas, but I'm not sure how much time I'd actually spend in the area itself. I'll have a nose round the areas you suggest though, see if I can find something interesting. I think I'd rather go closer to work than further away though!

The "Shopping Centre" is a bit of a dive and no mistake!

ileks

Part of the furniture
Yeah Elephant and Castle is a massive shithole. I have family that live around there and they would all agree.

The novelty of 1GB internet will probably ware off in about a week as well.

East London all the way IMO. I don't think I'll ever leave Hackney or Islington.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
elephant and castle is probably the worst place i've ever been in my life. Camberwell, Clapham and Brixton are the trendy areas atm, but i much prefer north of the river myself. If I had that kind of dosh to spend on somewhere i'd look around Highbury. A mate of mine has a nice, brand new flat near Upper Street and pays around £1200 a month.

DaGaffer

FYI Leytonstone is still a bit of a dump. It's gentrifying fast, but its patchy. If you're going to live around there then I'd suggest either moving a couple of stops out to Snaresbrook/South Woodford (my 2-bed flat in South Woodford rents out for less than a grand) which are both really nice, or one stop in to Stratford, which is as much of a dump as Leytonstone, but with better amenities and train connections.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Location wise, nothing wrong with Elephant & Castle. Its just a bit grotty. Needs some major investment. If you want plenty of night-life, consider something around Shoreditch / Hackney / Bethnal Green / Old Ford. I'm with Jupitus on that.

There are good and bad parts of every neighbourhood. If a flat is being offered really cheap (for London), ask yourself why.

DaGaffer

Killswitch

FH is my second home
So...the vibe I'm getting is kind of negative...maybe something like this would be better;

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-42443966.html

Need to do some more research anyway. I just like the idea of being high-up, I guess :)

EDIT: or even this one http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-27490536.html

Although I was told to avoid Stratford and Bethnal Green like the plague by my (West) London friends. To be fair though they think anything further East than Acton is basically uninhabitable so I'm not sure how far I trust their advice!

Last edited:

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
without commenting on anything else I would advise getting as close to your work as you can tbh. after doing years of three-hour commute I now have an office 20 mins walk from my house and it's awesome. aditionally I blagged travel-time == work-time off a boss once and this has persisted for years. the extra time saved is lovely; it's a literal lifesaver for school, gym, fun things, etc.

DaGaffer

without commenting on anything else I would advise getting as close to your work as you can tbh. after doing years of three-hour commute I now have an office 20 mins walk from my house and it's awesome. aditionally I blagged travel-time == work-time off a boss once and this has persisted for years. the extra time saved is lovely; it's a literal lifesaver for school, gym, fun things, etc.

The only problem with that in London is that the City can be a bit dead at weekends. A mate of mine used to have an amazing split level flat with great views of the NatWest tower etc. and he used to walk to work at UBS but it was a ghost town come Saturday. Its why lots of City types moved to Hackney/Shoreditch - its still close to the City (you can walk it on a nice day) but with more life.

Killswitch

FH is my second home

This is kind of the thing. I don't earn "City" money so if I follow the Square Mile crowd I'm going to end up somewhere a bit shit and the whole point of wanting to look in London is to avoid the bloody Tube every morning and evening! If E&C is as bad as people are saying though, I might have to reconsider and get myself further out.

eksdee

FH is my second home
I live in Walthamstow, 20 minute commute to work at Old Street. Lots of nice property in the right areas of the town such as Walthamstow Village (as it's called) and the property prices are very reasonable.

Orford-Road-by-the-Nags-Head.jpg

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Okay...decision time. Doesn't look like I'll get somewhere as "cool" for the same kind of money in a "walk to work" area of London, but I do take on board the fact that the flat is very expensive for what you get and the area could be (much better). It's a tough one, because for me the idea of a nice apartment in a tall, modern, clean building in the middle of a big city is kind of what I've always seen as my dream home. The reality of actually living there might be very different of course, but unless I win the lottery or get very lucky in my career this might be my last chance to try it. I think the City lifestyle is not very compatible with a wife and kids.

I'm looking at some other areas at the moment. I have visions of ending up miles outside London again, just on a different route. Maybe Epsom or Wimbledon or something. Meh.

EDIT: I appear to be obsessed with living "sarf" of the river. Maybe it's genetic.

DaGaffer

Okay...decision time. Doesn't look like I'll get somewhere as "cool" for the same kind of money in a "walk to work" area of London, but I do take on board the fact that the flat is very expensive for what you get and the area could be (much better). It's a tough one, because for me the idea of a nice apartment in a tall, modern, clean building in the middle of a big city is kind of what I've always seen as my dream home. The reality of actually living there might be very different of course, but unless I win the lottery or get very lucky in my career this might be my last chance to try it. I think the City lifestyle is not very compatible with a wife and kids.

I'm looking at some other areas at the moment. I have visions of ending up miles outside London again, just on a different route. Maybe Epsom or Wimbledon or something. Meh.

EDIT: I appear to be obsessed with living "sarf" of the river. Maybe it's genetic.

I still think you can have that vision of your dream home because it looks like your budget is OK, you're just not casting your net wide enough (although frankly I have no idea what your "walk to work" definition is, or indeed where the centre of that circle is).

Chilly

Balls of steel
Chilly in shameless plug shock ;)
Nah, we shut the company down, actually. I no longer have any involvement with it, except a potential upcoming sale to a competitor which has nothing to do with the traffic the site gets. I was genuinely helping him out, the search engine *is* pretty fuckin sweet ;)

eksdee

FH is my second home
I thought it was cool. Currently looking to move myself and found that very useful for quickly weighing up some options. Thanks Chilly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom