Live Earth

leggy

Probably Scottish
Bothered. :)

I'll be wine-ing it tonight so I probably won't even turn this on.

Good cause but I'm inherently grumpy.

Lo Scoobs btw. How you been? :)

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Wont it just be all the same attention whores folks were whining about during Dianas birthday party last weekend?

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Not at all, check the line up.

From a glance :
  • Snow Patrol
  • Kasabian
  • Chillis
  • Bloc Party
  • Keane
  • Metallica!!
  • Foo Fighters

Oh, and a little known parody band called .... SPINAL TAP!!!
Rob Reiner introduces Spinal Tap
Set: 'Stonehenge'/'Warmer Than Hell'/'Big Bottom'

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Yes lets hold a world wide pop concert to highlight global warming and stuff.

I wonder just how big live earths carbon footprint will be when the last light gets turned off.

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
Not at all, check the line up.

From a glance :
  • Snow Patrol
  • Kasabian
  • Chillis
  • Bloc Party
  • Keane
  • Metallica!!
  • Foo Fighters

Oh, and a little known parody band called .... SPINAL TAP!!!
Rob Reiner introduces Spinal Tap
Set: 'Stonehenge'/'Warmer Than Hell'/'Big Bottom'
they're all in it for the money/publicity, they don't give a shit about the environment. All of them are shit that get played on the radio 24/7. Lets hope Metallica play these though YouTube - Metallica - Last Caress / So What / Die Die My Darling
[youtubevid]YEsbYPivbAM[/youtubevid]

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
they're all in it for the money/publicity, they don't give a shit about the environment. All of them are shit that get played on the radio 24/7...
I don't really know anything about pop music but, assuming any good can come of it whatsoever, would there be any point in using bands that aren't played on the radio that no one who would likely be interested in this event has ever heard of?

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
I don't really know anything about pop music but, assuming any good can come of it whatsoever, would there be any point in using bands that aren't played on the radio that no one who would likely be interested in this event has ever heard of?

Well, them bands can headline, but they don't all have to be really popular ones do they? And why all pop music? Don't they want to appeal to everyone not just pop fans?

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Sorry, by "pop" I just mean "popular" music.. not just the cheesy stuff. I know absolutely naff all about this event so I don't even know why I'm sticking my oar in really. I just thought it makes sense, from a publicity point of view, to use people with a large fan base. I suppose you could stick some maudlin droners in there too or what have you.

I guess really it's up to the people who organise it all, probably some daft old giffers like me who don't have a clue, and you'd have to get some other people to organise the gig who are into "alternative" music if you wanted it to be different. Like I said, I don't really know what I'm on about so I'll just shut up. :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
Frankly all of those bands can get fucked - bunch of manic depressives on stage.

Only saving graces imo would be Keane and Genesis - Keane being the lesser depressing and more talented of the bunch, whilst Genesis actually playing real music.

Chilly

Balls of steel
another pointless gig with the pretence of doing something good?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Only saving graces imo would be Keane and Genesis - Keane being the lesser depressing and more talented of the bunch, whilst Genesis actually playing real music.

Good grief Kryt - what is it with you thinking that any band that doesn't sing love ballads or "I like cheese it makes me so happy doo doo doo doo doo" are manic depressives?

Despite Radiohead being the best band on the planet, I could forgive you for pinning that label on them but Foo Fighters? Chillis? Bloc Party? Hardly depressing music coming from them. Keane has a few sombre songs and Snow Patrol are just shit but honestly man - not depressing!

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Wait, wait. Spinal Tap is a manic depressive pop act played 24/7 on the radio? Whaaaaat?

leggy

Probably Scottish
Good thanks.

Just back from Die Hard and sitting with a manly beer in my hand enjoying the sun.

About to crack open a few more.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
To

Yes lets hold a world wide pop concert to highlight global warming and stuff.

I wonder just how big live earths carbon footprint will be when the last light gets turned off.

and

they don't all have to be really popular ones do they? And why all pop music? Don't they want to appeal to everyone not just pop fans?

I'd say:

1) It doesn't matter how big the footprint is if the net gain in the future is lower worldwide carbon emissions.

2) Yes, they do have to be the popular ones.

It's the most effective form of mind control you'll ever come across and we've been using it since the 1920's.

Pop/movie stars, celebrities, hollywood, all that guff - they're not just representative of our respective societies beliefs and desires - they guide and form them just as effectively.

Thatcher used similar media tactics to cut the balls off the environmental movement in the 1980's. Greenpeace and the like were unbelievebly popular and the growing environmental movement was an awkward annoyance to the government.

So "Swampy" was born - the media focussed on the crusty crusaders and environmental activists. The term "eco terrorist" was coined by the media organisation hired by the government to associate negative images and feelings with people who care about the environment.

But fuck me! The crusty wankers were right and now we need them. Lots of them. We need to start doing the things they say and it'd sure be handy if we all had the same sort of opinions they hold. It'd certainly make the difficult decisions that will be taken by government in future a lot easier to swallow.

So the media war to pursuade us that those people who represent the focus of our aspirations (i.e. the film stars and music stars) all think the environment is the most important thing evah! starts (properly) today!

And just like in the 1980's the millions of people who actually like the mainstream stuff will start acting/thinking/behaving in more environmentally responsible ways.

I'm quite hypocritically all in favour of it in this case! Missed just about all that was going on tho as I've been at a fucking christening all day :(

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
To

and

I'd say:

1) It doesn't matter how big the footprint is if the net gain in the future is lower worldwide carbon emissions.

2) Yes, they do have to be the popular ones.

It's the most effective form of mind control you'll ever come across and we've been using it since the 1920's.

Pop/movie stars, celebrities, hollywood, all that guff - they're not just representative of our respective societies beliefs and desires - they guide and form them just as effectively.

Thatcher used similar media tactics to cut the balls off the environmental movement in the 1980's. Greenpeace and the like were unbelievebly popular and the growing environmental movement was an awkward annoyance to the government.

So "Swampy" was born - the media focussed on the crusty crusaders and environmental activists. The term "eco terrorist" was coined by the media organisation hired by the government to associate negative images and feelings with people who care about the environment.

But fuck me! The crusty wankers were right and now we need them.

The crusty wankers were right about what exactly? Earth coming out of an ice age and getting hotter? This particularly wet summer we're having? Or the fact Global Warming HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH US WHATSOEVER? Just think, how many V8 trucks made tonight's stage show happen?

Actually thinking about it, now we're all free to get cirohissis of the liver without smelling of smoke (GOD HELP US IF WE DO...WE MIGHT HAVE TO HAVE A WASH!!!!), who cares as long as we don't smoke or drive eh?

Farewell to your freedoms y'all, you lost em about 5 years ago. Hope you're missing them in your smoke free environment!!!!!

1984 is here. Believe.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
5 years ago? more like May 1997

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
The crusty wankers were right about what exactly? Earth coming out of an ice age and getting hotter? This particularly wet summer we're having? Or the fact Global Warming HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH US WHATSOEVER? Just think, how many V8 trucks made tonight's stage show happen?

Actually thinking about it, now we're all free to get cirohissis of the liver without smelling of smoke (GOD HELP US IF WE DO...WE MIGHT HAVE TO HAVE A WASH!!!!), who cares as long as we don't smoke or drive eh?

Farewell to your freedoms y'all, you lost em about 5 years ago. Hope you're missing them in your smoke free environment!!!!!

1984 is here. Believe.

I love you.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH

1984 is here. Believe.
You might be right, but I really enjoyed going to the pub the other night and being able to breath properly and not stinking of smoke.. so whining smokers is one thing I really don't give a shit about.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Global Warming HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH US WHATSOEVER?

Typing it in capitals doesn't make your misguided belief any more true m8 :)

But:

1984 is here. Believe.

I'm glad we agree on this. Isn't there something like 21 CCTV cameras outside the house where George Orwell used to live?

:(

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I'm glad we agree on this. Isn't there something like 21 CCTV cameras outside the house where George Orwell used to live?

:(

That is cause little George Orwell is a theiving bastard currently on an ASBO so we have to watch him at all times!

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
You might be right, but I really enjoyed going to the pub the other night and being able to breath properly and not stinking of smoke.. so whining smokers is one thing I really don't give a shit about.

Really? Cos I was in Walkabout in Stoke last night and it fucking stank. I'm thinking if they're going to make people go outside to smoke they really shouldn't let people in til they've had a wash.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Live Earth was shit tbh. Except Tap's continuing problems with the Henge :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom