Like A Dog :(

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
My PC has decided that it's going to be as unresponsive as possible.

It feels like a HDD has to spin up before every menu load, every click on an application, even opening links. There's a couple of seconds delay - like the HDD has gone to powersave and needs time to spin up before Windows can service my request.

But I'm running the O/S on a (previously amazingly responsive) SSD.

I've got HDD's for file storage only. All apps are on SSD's. It was responsive. Now it isn't - it's been getting worse over time, but for no discernible reason.

No extra shit is being loaded, drivers are up to date, yadda yadda yadda.

Ideas? Other than complete reinstall?

Edit: AAARGH! Just bringing up the right-click menu to copy-paste from one point on the SSD to another takes a while, then I get the spinny windows wait thing whilst Windows thinks of what to do??!!!

And my CPU is barely registering a bump, nothing else going on!

Last edited:

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Checked the forums for your HD / SSD to see if anyone else has same problems?

Checked for spyware / viruses etc?

Checked start up services on msconfig? & regular services under services.msc? I've spent 2 hours this morning going through all the services & turned off shit loads of bloat.

Used to use Norton AV? If so, do you have cApp.exe running on start up? If so delete it & the root folder (Program Files / Common / Symantic).

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Think it was GFI Backup and Firefox.

Firefox was being dicky anyway (removed and reinstalled, working fine now). Looking at perfmon GFI Backup had a load of disk usage when it wasn't running. Uninstalled it.

Things are much more responsive now :)

Now I need an alternative backup solution that runs locally. I've got about 6Tb of HDD space (excluding the SSD's) - 2Tb of which is set aside for backups... :)

soze

I am a FH squatter
I had this before with 7 zip. The additions to the right click menu shafted Explorer so any task that called Explorer took ages. After a reinstall it was fine.

I use Windows backup to my NAS and File Sync keeps iTunes up to date every hour. All My Documents and Pictures sync to Sky Drive so it is only really a monthly DR backup.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
one question, does your SSD support the TRIM command? if not, can it be firmware updated?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Now I need an alternative backup solution that runs locally.
I've long been a fan of CrashPlan fella. Piece of piss to use and no cost if you're backing up locally.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I switched to Chrome because firefox was being such a dick, random crashes, computer lock ups.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Chrome makes the baby Jesus cry.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It's only temporary until Firefox release a build that isn't a) slow as fuck and b) doesn't flid out all the time. I have previously used firefox for years but the latest one is just plain shit.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Raven said:
It's only temporary until Firefox release a build that isn't a) slow as fuck and b) doesn't flid out all the time. I have previously used firefox for years but the latest one is just plain shit.

See that is what I don't understand about Firefox, it seems very random in how it performs. I'm using the new version and it's fine on my laptop, quick to start and load pages, and solid as a rock. Maybe it's an add on issue?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I find that every time firefox fucks up that flash is at the centre of the problems...

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
See that is what I don't understand about Firefox, it seems very random in how it performs. I'm using the new version and it's fine on my laptop, quick to start and load pages, and solid as a rock. Maybe it's an add on issue?
I found the built in "Rebuild my profile" feature removed all the bullshit niggle problems with Firefox. Chrome has the advantage that as it's fresh it doesn't suffer from feature creep as badly. Firefox still had settings and shit in my profile that went back to version 1.0 which when removed gave me a browser that's just as fast as Chrome on my box and far more flexible (I like my striped theme).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom