Lets be positive about GOA for a bit...

Aada

Part of the furniture
Okay, I just read this long post on warhammeralliance (most of it, anyway) which was very bashing about GOA...

And yes, GOA has made many mistakes, but if you want to whine about them, go to another thread!

I think it would be good to look at some of the good things GOA has done for a bit, just to get the mood up a bit :D

I remember in DAoC that GOA did some things for us EU players that wasn't done (some of it, anyway) for NA players which was awesome..

Custom Quests, in which a GM ran a quest, in a period they did one every week, shifting between the 3 realms, so 1 week Albion had a quest, then Hibernia next week and then Midgaard, and then back to Albion!

I remember spending a few hours running around in SI into, I think, Trollheim to fight some custom made NPCs and then get back and get some wolfskin cloak, which was absolutely terrible, but the event was super fun!

Who else had some fun with that?

Or the time they transfered Thid into a Event for all 3 realms, I remember Midgard getting access from outside of Gna faste, and some of the rewards was awesome (didn't get any, but boy was I jalous of those who did :D) and super fun!

Or Soccer! Was outside of Jordheim in Midgard and was quite often in a period, never got to play, but those I talked with who did said it was super fun!

Come on! Somebody else might have more to add or experiences from any of those 3 to share :) Much more fun killing time with something positive rather than negative

And please, don't reply if you just want to whine about them, as said, that belongs in other threads :D

Sorry i put up with GOA imcompetance for 4 years playing DAOC, they said they had changed and as far as i am concerned they haven't.

The Account Centre should have been up weeks ago and all we should be doing now is calmly waiting for Open Beta/release.

GOA only have themselves to blame as far as i am concerned.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Simply that historically the majority didnt agree with you.

GOAs events were fine - fun even - on the days they ran. However there was a price to be paid for these (the delays), and all in all they werent worth that price.

Many many bugs spent weeks or months longer on the European servers than the US, and one of the major reasons for these delays was the events.

Maybe they didnt interfere with the way you played too heavily, but they did with others.

I'm glad you enjoyed the events however you're wrong when you say they introduced patch delays. The one off events were coded from scratch by the GMs and didn't hold up patch testing at all. The other permanent content (GOA quests, NPCs etc) was usually disabled for patching and was reloaded after the patch was working.

Belgerath

One of Freddy's beloved
I liked alot of stuff GOA done but the pryd thing and the current Dyvet state (2bh its been about 6 months probably more) its what is making me hesitant about ordering WAR till after i have tried the open beta.

In GOA's defence the barrels where great, some brilliant GM events and if it was a week day decent support.

Things that are putting me of the american WAR is well there americans :D

Will see how open beta goes but im not judging anything till after then.

I also appriciate the fact that both Iain and Magnus post here which is a Big positive for GOA.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
That doesnt match with the explanations given at the time, where the weeks/months of delay were often explained by claiming additional fixes were required to enable GOAs event content.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
That doesnt match with the explanations given at the time, where the weeks/months of delay were often explained by claiming additional fixes were required to enable GOAs event content.

Explanations changes over time it seems. 'Cause I remember the same as you.

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
Also, when there was problems with a server, they often gave free days as compensation.

I know, server being down is their fault in the first place, but it was nice that they acknowledged that with free days added to your account, while they could actually have just screwed players because there was some server aviable, so technically the game was still aviable, just not on your main server...

Uara

Part of the furniture
I also appriciate the fact that both Iain and Magnus post here which is a Big positive for GOA.

Yeah thats a definite positive. It always make you feel better if you think community representatives are actually reading our points, even if sometimes thye can be a bit ott (our points not Iain or Magnus)

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
How odd, because I remember excatly what IainC is saying and I remember there was also people back then who ignored the official messages given by the GMs about it and said excatly what you 2 are still saying...

I guess some people just put pride in being ignorant...

Ribbit

Fledgling Freddie
Well I have a lot to thank GOA for.

They drove me to cancel, and the fun I had for 6 years playing the US servers, couldn't be beat. Huge range of English speaking servers, the 'Dreds, test server where you could actually make a contribution back into the game (though often Mythic just wouldn't listen to the valid issues raised by testers), PvE server, etc.

As for anything else, in-game CSR's just make every plus for GOA a total non factor. Mythics CSR's were OUTSTANDING. :worthy:

In fact GOA's a$$ ki$$ing apologists, who constantly tried to brush aside legitimate criticism, and excuse the inexcusable, were a pretty big factor in me ditching the game run by GOA. So my heartfelt thanks to you guys too!:kissit:

All that being said, I DO give people second chances.

They BETTER get it right this time, or back I go to the US servers.
An opinion shared by just about everyone I know that ended up following me with DAoC.

Make no mistake, GOA have a LOT to prove. Nobody deserves respect, it's something that has to be earned. I think they can do it, I don't know they can do it.
Time will soon tell.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!

You're probably thinking of the events not being able to continue until Mythic had added extra bits to the code to support it.

This meant we didn't get many ingame events initially, but it was patching holding up the events - never the other way around.

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH

They drove me to cancel, and the fun I had for 6 years playing the US servers, couldn't be beat. Huge range of English speaking servers, the 'Dreds, test server where you could actually make a contribution back into the game (though often Mythic just wouldn't listen to the valid issues raised by testers), PvE server, etc.

As for anything else, in-game CSR's just make every plus for GOA a total non factor. Mythics CSR's were OUTSTANDING. :worthy:

In fact GOA's a$$ ki$$ing apologists, who constantly tried to brush aside legitimate criticism, and excuse the inexcusable, were a pretty big factor in me ditching the game run by GOA. So my heartfelt thanks to you guys too!:kissit:

An opinion shared by just about everyone I know that ended up following me with DAoC.

Ah, the CSR's which was so strict with curse words that they could be completely abused by scammers?

I'd rather be without them from some of the stuff I saw, where victims of scams ended up getting the ban for letting off some steam towards the scammer

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Nope Flim, Im thinking of what I am saying, where for a very long time the favoured excuse was to blame delays in getting code fixes from Mythic to support their events, which in turn were holding the patches back.

Regardless, its all irrelevant at this stage, if the comments suggesting patches will take place at the same time on both US/Euro servers in WAR prove to be true.

I do however recall the same statements being made regarding DAOC shortly before its launch.

IainC

I don't remember ever saying anything like that. Even if it was true it doesn't sound like the sort of thing we'd come out with - when you're already being criticised for patch delays, saying 'btw these roleplay merchants are making it even worse' isn't going to calm people down.

For the most part, as I said our actual events were coded up as required in the week before they were run (I wrote more than a few myself) so they didn't even factor into the patching process at all. Permanent content was all very low impact stuff like quests or NPCs and unless a patch changed the way the game dealt with core stuff like quest databases then, for the most part, that content carried across untouched from version to version.

There was a difference in the version of the game that we ran compared with the Mythic version so it's possible you're confusing GOA version with GOA content.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Thats possible I guess. And, uh, lol @ roleplay merchants - since thats exactly how large numbers of people described it at the time ;)

While you are here: any comment regarding whether or not you intend having custom content in WAR?

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
How odd, because I remember excatly what IainC is saying and I remember there was also people back then who ignored the official messages given by the GMs about it and said excatly what you 2 are still saying...

I guess some people just put pride in being ignorant...

Yes - I guess too.......

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
I would love to know the answer to whatever there will eb custom content or not as well :D

Ribbit

Fledgling Freddie
Ah, the CSR's which was so strict with curse words that they could be completely abused by scammers?

I'd rather be without them from some of the stuff I saw, where victims of scams ended up getting the ban for letting off some steam towards the scammer

I was in touch with the CSR's just about every single day. I only ever had an issue with 'one' CSR, and he finally agreed there was an issue that needed a feedback form filling in that was beyond his sphere of influence (Myhtic quite rightly kept a very strict rule with the CSR's and what they allowed them to do, which obviously had upsides that far outweighed any downsides - if you have ever experienced overly powerful CSR's and the damage they can do, you'd appreciate that).

I speak as I found, and I found a very class act.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Anyway folks ....

I_Want_To_Believe.jpg

IainC

Thats possible I guess. And, uh, lol @ roleplay merchants - since thats exactly how large numbers of people described it at the time ;)

While you are here: any comment regarding whether or not you intend having custom content in WAR?

We won't have GOA only content but there are plans to include temporary content across all servers for special events and so forth.

Everz

FH is my second home

Make no mistake, GOA have a LOT to prove. Nobody deserves respect, it's something that has to be earned. I think they can do it, I don't know they can do it.
Time will soon tell.

Ah yes the US clusters where the second you got into the 8v8 scene and dominated (wasn't hard, they were piss poor) you were immediately targetted for countless adding and many 'euro(insert random insult)' insults thrown at you, awesome really. Or the endless hours of finding noone at all roaming for a fight but rather playing 'camp the bridge on there selected realms' making rvr insanely boring and pathetic, solo rvr becoming null and void also. Though Pre-clusters however then you have a strong case for US servers being much better then the EU servers, i myself spent most of the time playing on Igraine/Nimue/Lancelot as the high pops on each server allowed me to play all 3 realms actively and successfully much unlike the EU servers, but after the clusters hit then it became disastrous imo, realm hopping for relics was rife and certainly played a part in driving the customers away, e.g. when hib/devon controlled all 6 relics for months and months effectively killing rvr. But even so on Igraine and Lance there was a lot more friendly and active community then when i moved to the seemingly 'elitest' euro servers which unfortunately were destroyed by the greed that ToA bought, there alot of pro's and con's for which server is the better but my stance on it is.

Euro = Better for competitive rvr
US = Better for laid back/community related play.

Oh yes, the CSR's were outstanding, make an appeal and wait 6-7 hours without logging off to get a reply on something, great it was really, but then logging onto another server to find that you've gone down in the appeal list, again was great, however they were better then the week long waits you got with GoA, i really hope this doesnt happen again or we dont have a repeat of the Prydwen crash as on WAR it will be damaging on an even bigger scale.

Andred/Mordred were the plus sides no doubting that when compared to the multi-language Camlann, as was stuff such as Gaheris and the Pendragons, but to say that they are better then the EU servers is beyond a joke. The only main problem being was that EU players had absolutely no say at all on any changes that were made, as the US players did with Pend and the TL system, which was highly annoying when patches were released which contained some of the most retarded changes out (rp increase patch for example), or nerfs/loves on characters just because the players over there were to retarded to use there brains on how to beat them or effectively use the chosen class, it was pointless. EU needs to be given a voice this time.

/rant over.

Ribbit

Fledgling Freddie
It was a totally different game when DAoC launched.
The quality of the game by the time clustering came in, had gone right down the pan.
Just about all that was left were some pretty obnoxious newbs that didn't have a clue how to play.
I agree, they sucked.

But the quality of the early players was just as good as on the EU servers.

I can't say what customer support was like after clustering, because I quit then, and only went back for Classic start up. There were some pretty good guilds then, and a lot of enthusiasm, but there wasn't much competition either.

Can't truthfully say I ever found DAoC 8's anything to write home about though, wherever they came from though.

I did my 8's in games far better suited to it, because they were designed for it.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
One good thing they mentioned is the Head Start server list. They said they will make all servers available (unlike the americans).
The benefit is if 50,000 people all cram onto one server at Head Start, when the game goes live they will have to re-roll as the server queue will be too huge for all their mates.

If they go through with this then well played GOA

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
Totally agree, Bahumat..

Also, the NA wont open all servers to avoid people running around in the 4 day headstart on half-empty servers...

But seeing how loads of players are coming in groups, like guild or with buddies, most groups will probarly have at least 1 who has headstart advantage... and all the buddies or the guild will then want to go to the server their friend is on, which basicly means that all servers which are not open during headstart will have a much lower number of players, unless they are going to force people not to be able to play with each other..

I really think not opening all servers for headstart is a bad idea...

So good going by GOA on that one

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom