let's ban FH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Straef said:
Who cares bout a temp ban tho? Blowing it up and whining about it will get you a perm ban if you keep it up long enough.. Even I survived a perm ban, surely anyone can?

If someone deserves a ban, I really don't care, but imo Pox and those others who got banned in the last days totally didn't deserve it...

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ingafgrinn Macabre said:
If someone deserves a ban, I really don't care, but imo Pox and those others who got banned in the last days totally didn't deserve it...

Then the people who objected to it should have PM'd a mod for an explanation, maybe suggested p0x talk it through with me on IRC or something along those lines. They should not have done exactly the same thing as p0x was banned for to try and stir shit, nor posted repeated threads demanding the ban be lifted.

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Jupitus said:
They should not have done exactly the same thing as p0x was banned for to try and stir shit, nor posted repeated threads demanding the ban be lifted.
Saggy said:
Erm, p0x got banned for that? If so, did the mod who banned him ever thought that there is a possibility that p0x saw Loch lagging badly and instead of making a new thread he used the old one which is, as far as I know, the method FH encourages people to do?
What exactly was the reason p0x was banned for?

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Jupitus said:
Then the people who objected to it should have PM'd a mod for an explanation, maybe suggested p0x talk it through with me on IRC or something along those lines. They should not have done exactly the same thing as p0x was banned for to try and stir shit, nor posted repeated threads demanding the ban be lifted.

It's a public matter... why shouldn't we be allowed to discuss it publicly?
And the reason for posting repeated threads is because all got closed after a couple of replies..... if that didn't happen it would've stayed with 1 thread only....

Gamah

Banned
I'll quote a post from jup just after banning someone for bumping an old post.

"Any of you other little tossers wanna stir up shit you'll find yourselfs with perma bans"

Not a way to speak to the community without expecting to piss people off.. we are not "Little Tossers" We are members of a community you moderate treat us with some respect or soon you won't have a community to moderate.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Gamah said:

"Any of you other little tossers wanna stir up shit you'll find yourselfs with perma bans"

Not a way to speak to the community without expecting to piss people off.. we are not "Little Tossers" We are members of a community you moderate treat us with some respect or soon you won't have a community to moderate.

Nice misquote :rolleyes:

Jupitus said:
Any more of you tossers stirring up trouble will also land themselves with bans, perma or otherwise.

That was my quote and it was in response to the second or third reported bumped old thread, this one from the 29th of January, bumped with the words 'grats sf xd'. You grumble that p0x got banned without getting a warning first, and then you grumble when I warn you all that that behaviour may lead to you being banned? I wish you folks would make up your minds....

Traia

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah said:

I'm not entirely sure what is going on here, but I have seen some of your posts Jup, and I do agree with what Gamah is saying here. You shouldnt stereotype the forum users due to what a few people have done. No one falls into a simple set of labels.

shanks

Fledgling Freddie
Jupitus said:
Shanks: who said anyone has been perma banned over this? Where have I said what punishment has been handed out at all? I haven't, and nor do I intend to discuss the punishment handed out in public with others. If p0x wants to discuss it they can find me on IRC to do so.

As for the great level of cooperation part, lets consider for a moment who it has been spending many many many hours sticking and unsticking raid threads to the point of unmanageability due to the time involved and then appointed mods for each forum area with the rights to do this on a realm by realm basis? Who has in the past 3 weeks helped 4 different DAOC users with name changes on here because they changed guild or character name?

Dont see you on irc Jupi. Im not solely talking about perm-ban Jupitus, im talking about banning without explaining why or how at all, that's where the mayor beef is at. Get on irc and talk to him like you say is my advice. The keeping it quiet furthermore strengthens the impression that you have no idea what you are doing and making shit up as you see fit as things move along.

And I frankly dont care about sobstories about how much time you pour down into something that does'nt pay you squat. That's a self-inflicted burden, if you cant take the flack of people thinking you are handling it wrong and go about closing threads trying to raise the issue you should do so by atleast giving the location where the thread should be posted maybe you should give it a long hard think about if you are really up for it. Sure Xero was spamming, there's no questioning that but there's a really good reason for that, even though there could have been done much more subtle. Raising the question, is this really a correct way of moderating?

Obviously alot of people had a issue with this particular call and had there questions about it, if you (or the op in question) instead of going on a banning spree explained your stance on it in the thread in question this would have gone alot smoother. Also, the thread is still up?!? What is the crime in bumping a thread if the people that posted after it's diggin up are allowed to do keep posting in it? Does that add any real content? You should lock the thread on the same principle you banned the person in question. But then again, being consistent isnt a high priority with the loosely formulated CoC I guess.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Traia said:
I'm not entirely sure what is going on here, but I have seen some of your posts Jup, and I do agree with what Gamah is saying here. You shouldnt stereotype the forum users due to what a few people have done. No one falls into a simple set of labels.

If you read my actual quote, my comments are aimed towards the trouble makers who had ignored two previously closed threads (closed by regular DAOC mods) and were bumping old threads to cause trouble. Those people are tossers, in my view.

Traia

Fledgling Freddie
Jupitus said:
If you read my actual quote, my comments are aimed towards the trouble makers who had ignored two previously closed threads (closed by regular DAOC mods) and were bumping old threads to cause trouble. Those people are tossers, in my view.

I see that now (about the quote), about four replies were made to this thread in the time I managed to post mine. So I will retract the statement about that particular quote, however, there are a few other suspect posts by yourself.

Can I ask, may we report Moderators posts as "Bad" too? And what reassurance do we have that these posts will be looked at with the same scruitiny as bumped old threads, abusive posts and threatening posts... I'm sure the list goes on.

I don't envy you, it is very hard to keep things organised and within certain levels of decency, and it is made far harder when it is online. You do seem to be stressed about this, I think it would do you a favour if you let a Mod not connected with DAoC in any way, and who most players don't know; sort this mess out.

Then again, these are just my thoughts on a few posts on an online community that people are in no way forced to come and read, and only come here for the own information/amusement.

I also realise this was a fairly poorly constructed post, but I was thinking about what Christmas shopping I still have left to do. :D

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
hey Jup.

ban the lot of them - problem solved - no more complaints :D

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
So the biggest FW bandwidth whores are complaining about the place that gives them somewhere to swap sandal stories? Threatening to not use FW?

cya.

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
tbh i think Jupitus has explained his actions very well. Everything you've thrown at him hes answered completey with Valid reasons. As for Mods on IRC... You realise they don't get paided for this right? Why should they monitor an IRC channel so you can Bitch at them in real time?

shanks

Fledgling Freddie
Bubble said:
As for Mods on IRC... You realise they don't get paided for this right? Why should they monitor an IRC channel so you can Bitch at them in real time?

Was his suggestion was it not? Said he would talk to p0x about, and he has not.

As for me, I understand fully that they would'nt idle on irc. Can just ask Sharma about the amount of shit some users ask of him every second he logs on.

Krait

Fledgling Freddie
Lazarus said:
hey Jup.

ban the lot of them - problem solved - no more complaints :D

.....and it might actually make the RvR section worth reading. :m00:

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
shanks said:

As for me, I understand fully that they would'nt idle on irc. Can just ask Sharma about the amount of shit some users ask of him every second he logs on.

And you guys Trolling have just made the problems 10x worse. Silly avatars and Things like
Incompetent Moderators RAWK!
in your Sig are really helping the situation. Also Rudor doing his stuff and the bumping of more old gratz threads...I hope you don't think its Jupitus being the ass in this situation.

shanks

Fledgling Freddie
Bubble said:
And you guys Trolling have just made the problems 10x worse. Silly avatars and Things like in your Sig are really helping the situation. Also Rudor doing his stuff and the bumping of more old gratz threads...I hope you don't think its Jupitus being the ass in this situation.

Actually I added the signature when I was 100% sure I would get banned for uttering any kind disobeyance like piffy. Guess I should change it now.

The trolling resulted in this thread. I explained what I think he should have done in the first place. Direct all complaints to this forum. Not the smoothest way I agree.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Doh

Conjurus said:
Do we really want these filthy albs and mids on pryd.net? :<

Half of em would win a perma ban in less than 5 mins over Pryd.net ^^

Nausilus^^

Can't get enough of FH
Jupitus said:
The bumped thread WAS reported, yes, and action taken.

Who the hell cares enough about a bumped thread to report it.. does it take too much space on FH server that you wont tolerate bumped threads?

C'mon as the others have said, lighten up mate, there's no reason to become bitter over bumping threads - I do it all the time in trading forums and many other people do it there too, do we get reported? No! Do we get banned? No!

Now my question is (And it's probably been asked by others, but you're used to repeating actions (closing and banning ppl) so I hope you wont mind): Why was he banned for bumping an old thread? What's the full argument for it?

Also another question that someone asked, but I haven't found an answer for: Can forum users report who they think are bad mods, or are the mods on top of it all?

Foot-note: I think this is all a big messy matter.. haven't seen a clear explanation for why Jupitus bans and closes threads, and closing threads with the message "*sight*" - wtf? Give a reason when you close and ban.. imo you brought this on yourself :p

:kissit:

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
Nausilus^^ said:
Misc crap thats been said before by lots of people and answered by Jup

Yes. If your not a part of the solution your part of the problem. :)

Nausilus^^

Can't get enough of FH
You're really in love with this guy aren't you.

All I'm trying is to get a straight forward explanation for why he wont tolerate bumping threads and why they were banned (apart from bumping threads, cause that surely can't be the sole reason).

Yes he's brought explanations "they bumped old threads shame on them" etc, but if an admin bans ppl like that, I think something's wrong.

Thrinnor

Fledgling Freddie
How about because its fucking retarded?

Think thats a decent enough answer for ya.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
shanks said:

I am at work during the day, but idle in about 8 different channels on quakenet in the evenings. If I am there as 'Jupitus' feel free to PM me, if I am there as Jup|something (i.e. Jup|PS, Jup|TV, Jup|Wanking etc) then please leave me in peace. #Freddyshouse is the obvious choice to find me.

Ziva

Fluffy
There are a couple of reasons for bumping old threads.

- Because you put more information in it so people can stay up to date
- Because an "old" thread has become actual again
- Because you like to piss off your fellow forumusers and moderators and make them go to a thread, look for the reason why it was bumped and then to find out it was for "fun"

The first two reasons are valid, the last one is just plain lame. So yes, people who do that can be punished by a moderator. Agreeing with the punishment is another subject. However i don't think many of you even have a clue to how lame some forumusers are even after u warned them politely.

So unless you know the full story, let Jup and whoeever he banned sort it out.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Nausilus^^ said:
Who the hell cares enough about a bumped thread to report it.. does it take too much space on FH server that you wont tolerate bumped threads?

Bumping threads which are 9 months old just clogs up what is already a busy forum and confuses users. If people complain about it we will (usually) take action. The action taken may vary from mod to mod as we use our own judgement, and I for one also take into consideration past post habits when forming a view on a user's punishment.

Also another question that someone asked, but I haven't found an answer for: Can forum users report who they think are bad mods, or are the mods on top of it all?

Sure, you can report mods just as you can report other users. Be warned, however, that as I have said alot of it falls to the judgement of the mod in question, and some are squishier and fluffier than others. In general the admins will back up and enforce the mods if it is a modding matter, if it is a mod posting their own viewpoint they will be modded just like any other user.

and closing threads with the message "*sight*" - wtf? Give a reason when you close and ban.. imo you brought this on yourself :p

That was the 3rd thread on the same subject by Rudor. In the previous two I had closed the threads and warned that I didn't want to ban more people over this matter but that I would. He made a third thread, I closed it, *sighed*, and banned him too. Contrary to popular belief, we don't actually like banning people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom